Case oal for 6.5 creedmoor? 129gr ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case oal for 6.5 creedmoor? 129gr ?

Post by Bigshooter679 » 08 Feb 2024, 2:52 pm

Hey fellow shooters first time posting on this platform!
im having issues with finding the correct OAL for my 6.5 creedmoor!

The hornady book states a maximum case length of 2.800 and from what I can tell most shooter are bumping them back anywhere between 0.025-0.100. And most of the load developments I’m finding this to be the case are for the 140-143gr projectiles.

Im planning of using hornady129gr sst projectiles and the hornady book states a COL of 2.670 ?

I’m also planning on using ADI 2208 powder, the closest load data I can find from ADI is on a 130gr nosler and they specify a 2.750 COL ?

So my question is this should I be using the COL data specified from hornady or should I just be working out my COL 0.050 back from the maximum? And to add on to this question should I Be using the Varget powder charge table as it correlates to AR2208?

If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated!

Thank you shooters
Attachments
49F014B7-5F40-467B-AEE3-80ADDABE7ECE.jpeg
49F014B7-5F40-467B-AEE3-80ADDABE7ECE.jpeg (131 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Bigshooter679
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Case oal for 6.5 creedmoor? 129gr ?

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2024, 6:48 pm

Bigshooter679 wrote:Hey fellow shooters first time posting on this platform!

The hornady book states a maximum case length of 2.800 and from what I can tell most shooter are bumping them back anywhere between 0.025-0.100. And most of the load developments I’m finding this to be the case are for the 140-143gr projectiles.

Im planning of using hornady129gr sst projectiles and the hornady book states a COL of 2.670 ?

I’m also planning on using ADI 2208 powder, the closest load data I can find from ADI is on a 130gr nosler and they specify a 2.750 COL ?

So my question is this should I be using the COL data specified from hornady or should I just be working out my COL 0.050 back from the maximum? And to add on to this question should I Be using the Varget powder charge table as it correlates to AR2208?

Thank you shooters

If your magazine will let you cycle longer rounds you can seat them longer. COAL refers to cartridge length, not case length. Any standard short-action cartridge will specify a maximum of 2.800" so they run through the magazine, except for VLD/ELD bullets - it's not unusual to single-load those for competition so they can be longer than magazine length.
The cartridge length is relevant to the specific load data - it is part of the pressure equation as it varies the case volume. Seat the bullet deeper you increase pressure, seat it longer you decrease pressure.

Yes, Varget is the US brand name for AR2208.

You don't need load data specific to a bullet. Any data for a bullet of similar weight and design is fine. Load data are not formulas, they're recipes, you can swap components for what you have "in the cupboard" so to speak. Any data for 140gn-ish jacketed bullets will be fine, the data are only to give you an idea of what range of powder charges you should start your own development within.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Case oal for 6.5 creedmoor? 129gr ?

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2024, 9:00 pm

Bigshooter679 wrote:Hey fellow shooters first time posting on this platform!

Thank you shooters

Only you can tell us the Optimum length as we don't know how far the lands are away from your bolt face or if you are restricted with mag length
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition