Frankford Arsenal platinum universal deprimer

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Frankford Arsenal platinum universal deprimer

Post by mchughcb » 06 Mar 2024, 9:47 pm

I bought one of these last month for $155. Now that I've deprimed 2400 rounds ranging from 223 to 300 winmag I will make some comments.

Well made.
Screws need tightening every 500 rounds so the deprimer stays up at the end of cycle.
If you don't push the plastic collection holder in tight it can pop off and 100 primers go everywhere.
Empty every 50 rounds or primers may pop back out hole.
Put a mat around work area as small bits of carbon will escape during process.
Can do about 12 large rifle cases per minute going fast.
Can do about 3-400 in one sitting before hand gets sore with blisters. Wearing a garden glove helps.

Why do it?
Depriming before wet tumbling makes sure the stainless can clean out primer pocket in one tumble.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Frankford Arsenal platinum universal deprimer

Post by wanneroo » 07 Mar 2024, 12:26 am

I use it sometimes. It works ok but it does have those limitations you speak of. You do have to kind of baby it to keep it working but it does work. Often what I will do is sit down next to the tailgate of the RTV and punch out 50 or so and then go do something else.

Really in bulk I find using the Lee APP with a depriming die is very fast but the downside is getting it set up and dialed in for that cartridge.

Myself I deprime everything before tumbling. I hate dirty primer pockets.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jorlcrin » 07 Mar 2024, 5:31 am

I use a Harvey Depriming Tool; USA made, sells for $100, and you can buy the extra pin for $10, if you happen to break it.
I bought mine through BRT.

A much simpler design than the Frankford one, but solidly made, and seems to keep on working regardless.
Doesnt collect spent primers, but I just do it over the upturned lid of one of those large plastic tubs across my knees, while I'm watching TV.
Pretty amazing how much carbon & crud is dropped onto the lid, in addition to the primers.
Looks to be a heavy alloy body, with the depriming pin being steel.

Similar to what you're describing for the Frankford, I had to develop a bit of a technique to get the best out of it.
I can usually do similar numbers before my hand starts to ache, but havent encountered the blisters(yet).

I bought it for the same reasons as well; less fussing around than using a press for depriming, and I want everything deprimed before wet tumbling.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 07 Mar 2024, 7:11 am

mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition