Wet Tumbling and No Neck Lubing

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Wet Tumbling and No Neck Lubing

Post by mchughcb » 07 Mar 2024, 4:41 pm

Since I started wet tumbling years ago I haven't bothered with neck lubing. I've tried graphite powder and one shot. All it did was make a mess or start stain the case. When I moved to wet tumbling the necks were so clean inside the mandrel went straight down and up with almost no resistance and definitely not the scratching I used to hear with corn cob media.

I also stopped cleaning primer pockets as the pins just scraped out the soot.

I also stopped wiping the cases after lubing. I just chuck them back in the tumbler run for another hour with some morning fresh and then chuck them in the fan forced oven.

Wet tumbling has been a big time saver as I can do a heap in a batch while I go off and do other jobs.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Wet Tumbling and No Neck Lubing

Post by gunderson » 07 Mar 2024, 4:48 pm

depending on what rounds, I havent started wet tumbling but I have used an ultrasonic cleaner before that was great at removing the carbon youre talking about, Ive only ever needed carbon on some calibers with long neck brass. other than that its usually unneeded if the brass is clean
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by deye243 » 07 Mar 2024, 5:10 pm

I don't bother tumbling anymore and have not seen any change in accuracy all the way out to 1700+ yards .
No problems with dies and smooth seating.
This is one of my test cases it has been loaded 16 times it has not been in a tumbler .
Screenshot_20240307_180519_Gallery_copy_1280x597.jpg
Screenshot_20240307_180519_Gallery_copy_1280x597.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 1637 times

and now it needs to have the shoulder pushed back but I don't think I will bother as by the time I load 200 cases this many times the barrel will be long gone .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Mar 2024, 5:20 pm

Can't argue with that.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Mar 2024, 5:23 pm

deye243 wrote:I don't bother tumbling anymore and have not seen any change in accuracy all the way out to 1700+ yards .
This is one of my test cases it has been loaded 16 times it has not been in a tumbler .

and now it needs to have the shoulder pushed back but I don't think I will bother as by the time I load 200 cases this many times the barrel will be long gone .

Your cases look in exceptional condition. I've been given cases with corrosion, blood, carbon the whole works, and that's after one firing.

Do you clean your primer pockets out?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Mar 2024, 6:59 pm

Dont shoot off a lot. But this is my system when I first obtain cases, range brass or purchased once fired.

Anneal
Deprime
Clean in ultrasonic cleaner
FLS
Trim
Deburr
Load.

Cleaning is certainly optional.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 08 Mar 2024, 1:45 am

I'm a big fan of wet tumbling and one of the big benefits I have found is being easily able to identify potential case failures more readily plus things like neck and case neck splits and other stuff.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2024, 6:45 am

I love wet tumbling, Wanneroo nailed it, any cracks stand out on shiny brass.

I use mild citric acid and dish liquid.

Once tumbled, I rinse.in cheep wash n wax car cleaner then blow my brass from both ends with compressed air to remove 90% of the water and any pins that might have hung up (they always fall out when I rinse anyway)
I let the brass dry overnight.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Mar 2024, 7:05 am

I clean the outside neck of the case with steel wool to get all that accumulated carbon off. I run tight necks and that carbon increases neck size. For the inside of the necks, the carbon is a good lubricant, shiny clean inside necks are very grippy and increases the variability of the release of the bullet.
I clean the carbon out of the primer pocket with a primer pocket tool.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 08 Mar 2024, 7:15 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I love wet tumbling, Wanneroo nailed it, any cracks stand out on shiny brass.

I use mild citric acid and dish liquid.

Once tumbled, I rinse.in cheep wash n wax car cleaner then blow my brass from both ends with compressed air to remove 90% of the water and any pins that might have hung up (they always fall out when I rinse anyway)
I let the brass dry overnight.

I put mine in the fan forced oven for an hour at 75 degrees. If you go hotter they will go a purple tinge. If you don't deprime first there is water in the base with the primer. If no primer, air circulates and you can be sure case is dry. I roll them in a towel to make sure no surface water stains on drying.

I use glisten which is citric acid based. I've tried white vinegar and that works too. The imperial wax also gets broken up on second tumbling but feels like car wash waxing on the surface.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 08 Mar 2024, 7:21 am

SCJ429 wrote:I clean the outside neck of the case with steel wool to get all that accumulated carbon off. I run tight necks and that carbon increases neck size. For the inside of the necks, the carbon is a good lubricant, shiny clean inside necks are very grippy and increases the variability of the release of the bullet.
I clean the carbon out of the primer pocket with a primer pocket tool.

I did all that and it takes time. Tumbler eliminates those steps. I don't have a tool to measure neck tension but I'm not shooting benchrest comp anymore so I'm more focussed on speed and cost for reasonable accuracy.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Mar 2024, 6:28 pm

I would think tumbling and then drying and then applying some lube to the inside necks would be more time consuming that a bit of steel wool and a quick wiz of the primer pocket. I suspect you just love bright shiny brass. Nothing wrong with that.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2024, 6:45 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I would think tumbling and then drying and then applying some lube to the inside necks would be more time consuming than a bit of steel wool and a quick wiz of the primer pocket. I suspect you just love bright shiny brass. Nothing wrong with that.

I did it that way for years. Horses for courses.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 08 Mar 2024, 7:36 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I would think tumbling and then drying and then applying some lube to the inside necks would be more time consuming that a bit of steel wool and a quick wiz of the primer pocket. I suspect you just love bright shiny brass. Nothing wrong with that.

That's the title, no neck lube. As tumbler works on a timer set and forget and other jobs.

I just tumbled 1100 brass. Every step I can eliminate and use the tumbler saves my time and hands.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 08 Mar 2024, 7:45 pm

Here is the first 250 of 1100. The large pockets get cleaned out well. The smaller ones not so well but not too bad.
Attachments
20240307_201657 (Medium).jpg
20240307_201657 (Medium).jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
20240307_201648 (Medium).jpg
20240307_201648 (Medium).jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
20240307_201519 (Medium).jpg
20240307_201519 (Medium).jpg (332.18 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 09 Mar 2024, 12:35 am

That's what we want to see, nice clean shiny brass.

Back in my early days on Youtube, I did two videos on how I wet tumble and I got some people on YT riled up about it. It seems there is a cohort of dry tumblers out there totally opposed to wet tumbling. I should do another video on wet tumbling with a controversial title or something.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Larry » 09 Mar 2024, 8:17 am

Wet tumbling certainly is the way to go I have tried all the other ways of cleaning brass and wet tumbling has produced the best reults without question really just no comparison esp if you put other factors like time and cost into the equation. However I still give the cases a spray with one shot before FLS other dies I will take a chance on but I have been caught out before with the FLS die and the time and effort not to mention the risk of breaking something is just not worth missing a very simple step.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mchughcb » 09 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm

If people saw the black crud that came out of the 223 batch first tumble they would be surprised. Now you can eat off them.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 09 Mar 2024, 9:46 pm

mchughcb wrote:
deye243 wrote:I don't bother tumbling anymore and have not seen any change in accuracy all the way out to 1700+ yards .

Your cases look in exceptional condition. I've been given cases with corrosion, blood, carbon the whole works, and that's after one firing.

Do you clean your primer pockets out?

Nope just neck size and shoot that case was always the 1st shot every session hence the black texta in the extraction groove.
I have since done the same to another case it went 1 less firing at 15 and needed the shoulder pushed back in the body die .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 09 Mar 2024, 9:52 pm

I used to wet tumble I even built one to do a decent amount.
Screenshot_20240309_224915_Gallery_copy_1024x2196.jpg
Screenshot_20240309_224915_Gallery_copy_1024x2196.jpg (215.66 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

Screenshot_20240309_224928_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240309_224928_Gallery.jpg (471.46 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

But now I figure it APITA to do and I have not found ant change in accuracy so I don't bother.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 10 Mar 2024, 5:15 am

That's an industrial size.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 10 Mar 2024, 5:42 am

deye243 wrote:I used to wet tumble I even built one to do a decent amount.

But now I figure it APITA to do and I have not found ant change in accuracy so I don't bother.

Where did you get the big-arsed O-Rings??

I reckon I've got all the other gear, but I'd only ever thought to put rubber on the shafts themselves.

Hmmm.... Food for thought!
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 10 Mar 2024, 10:44 am

Another 1500 rounds cases cleaned. Frankford tumbler is not bad for batches of a few hundred at a time.
Attachments
20240310_112339 (Medium).jpg
20240310_112339 (Medium).jpg (334.04 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 Mar 2024, 7:06 am

Yeah my little ebay job is good for 50 308 cases at max. However that is just the ticket for me so all good and at the price a very good buy even though I am on my second machine after burning one out or at least wearing it out.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mchughcb » 11 Mar 2024, 7:47 am

What model was it Larry?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 Mar 2024, 8:31 am

Not sure it ever had any model number to it. The first one was a smaller one I found a larger model of the same type for the second one. Parts other than size were identical. Chinese model but works a treat and no complaints of poor quality.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mchughcb » 11 Mar 2024, 8:47 am

There's some cheapy rock tumblers on ebay that I think would be the ticket for 50 shells.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 11 Mar 2024, 9:49 am

mchughcb wrote:If people saw the black crud that came out of the 223 batch first tumble they would be surprised. Now you can eat off them.

^^This, if anyone is worried about your lead levels piss off your dry tumbler. You won't believe what goes down the drain from a wet tumbler, all that in a dry tumbler just stays in there and accumulates and accumulates and most people tend to go years without ever changing their dry media.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 11 Mar 2024, 5:35 pm

One thing that has annoyed me for years with the frankford tumbler is its ability to intermittently leak. However I found this on youtube that the ends are square and I've just spent an hour with wet and dry, starting at 240 and working my way up to 600 grit and now it looks square. Hopefully that will stop the leaks.

https://youtu.be/sbmlXCPhYRM
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 12 Mar 2024, 12:04 am

Rarely do I have an issue with it leaking. Typically if it does leak I stop and tighten it down good again.

Also I find wipe the seals down every time you use it and keep them clean. Also don't add too much water or brass. I find 2/3 to 3/4 the way full is enough.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition