Cartridge Case Length - Trimming

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Cartridge Case Length - Trimming

Post by Apollo » 22 Jun 2014, 4:58 pm

Warrigul wrote: Anyone getting a carbon ring in the throat of the chamber is doing something wrong when cleaning the barrel, after all the brushes and cleaning fluid clean the throat as well as the rifling(or should be anyway).

The "Carbon Ring" being mentioned has nothing to do with the "Throat" area.

Nobody mention the throat area, in fact I would believe it's nearly impossible to get a carbon ring in the throat area.

The Carbon Ring I mentioned as in the area that is in that area created by a "short neck cartridge case".... It's in the Neck area of the Chamber.

If you use a correct fitting Bore Guide then it would cover that area in the neck that has been exposed by a short case. All the best cleaning methods will not clean what is covered over by the Bore Guide. You need to specifically target that area and the longer it's left the more it builds up and the harder it is to remove until you get a case neck than then is forced into the carbon ring creating a virtual crimp around the bullet. Hence pressure build up.

Hope I explained my specific point to all that may be a little confused about trimming cases too short.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 22 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

Apollo wrote:
Warrigul wrote: Anyone getting a carbon ring in the throat of the chamber is doing something wrong when cleaning the barrel, after all the brushes and cleaning fluid clean the throat as well as the rifling(or should be anyway).

The "Carbon Ring" being mentioned has nothing to do with the "Throat" area.

Nobody mention the throat area, in fact I would believe it's nearly impossible to get a carbon ring in the throat area.

The Carbon Ring I mentioned as in the area that is in that area created by a "short neck cartridge case".... It's in the Neck area of the Chamber.

If you use a correct fitting Bore Guide then it would cover that area in the neck that has been exposed by a short case. All the best cleaning methods will not clean what is covered over by the Bore Guide. You need to specifically target that area and the longer it's left the more it builds up and the harder it is to remove until you get a case neck than then is forced into the carbon ring creating a virtual crimp around the bullet. Hence pressure build up.

Hope I explained my specific point to all that may be a little confused about trimming cases too short.

Ah terminology, I am on about the bit that gets exposed if you over trim, you could call it the neck area or leade etc I suppose but most call the whole area the throat or refer to the overall chamber length.

I don't use bore guides- many people don't(and this also includes many target shooters) unless cleaning from the muzzle(I have quite a few Martini's and have muzzle guides for each calibre in these cases).

But have a little think about it- unless you run maximum length cases all the time there is always going to be part of it(be it called whatever you like, neck area, throat, leade etc) exposed and I have never had an issue with carbon buildup over several thousand rounds, that must be the benefit of not needing a bore guide.

Definately one for those that do use a bore guide to watch out for if that is indeed the case..

throat picture.jpeg
throat picture.jpeg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 22 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm

Okay, you are correct.

Time for me to retire, we have an expert on board that disagrees with many of my friends who are Hall Of Fame members.

Go for it Warrigal.... you have the lot with all that expertise.

BTW.. I disagree, but I'm not going to get a point in without an arguement so that's it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 23 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

Apollo wrote:Okay, you are correct.

Time for me to retire, we have an expert on board that disagrees with many of my friends who are Hall Of Fame members.

Go for it Warrigal.... you have the lot with all that expertise.

BTW.. I disagree, but I'm not going to get a point in without an arguement so that's it.

If exiting a logical discussion is your way of proving you are right then so be it.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm

Have to agree with other fella's about the Lee trimmer. Cheap, easy and accurate especially if you only reload a couple of calibers.
On one wheel, you mention that you don't full length resize but you have had to " trim cases a couple of times " in only 4 reloads. If they are under max. case length, why? Are they hard to chamber? Maybe need to F/L size every third reload? I've got 7-08 cases that have been reloaded nearly 20 times and haven't had to trim yet. They are neck sized only for use in one rifle, factory chamber but f/l sized if I need to use them in another gun that has a tighter chamber in a custom barrel.
You might be making your cases too soft by annealing them. Again, why? Are you having trouble with split necks? Just wonderin'. :huh:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition