Reloading - Some Items Of Value

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading - Some Items Of Value

Post by Apollo » 18 Jun 2014, 11:38 pm

Not a trick question, some will certainly know but some will ask ...what is this bit of equipment used for.

To the old hand reloaders, let the Noobs have a say.

The bottle on the left is some 50 years old.

Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Reloading - Some Items Of Value

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jun 2014, 1:16 am

I really have no idea. I know smokeless powder has a graphite coating... Thats about it ....
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 19 Jun 2014, 2:48 am

Yes, correct on that point. As best I know the graphite coating on smokeless powder is involved in it's retardent value and used to control burn rate to a degree but that's about all I know on the point. I'll have to ask a friend who is actually involved in the testing of ADI Powders for a more explicit explanation if he is allowed to share any more knowledge.

Probably a point for another topic which I'm sure would interest many. I do know that the paper pulp, forget the exact type, that is used to make our powders is imported from Europe.

The making of smokeless single based (Nitrocellulose) powder.

So, in the photo above, the old matchbox base has a purpose but slightly different to the brush. See, a hint.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 19 Jun 2014, 6:03 am

how to answer without giving it away? i have a sore neck? cryptic enough? i will give it a few days and if no one answers i will put what i think ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 19 Jun 2014, 7:26 am

Been using it for years and years for this purpose and it works!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jun 2014, 8:11 am

Ok I'll take 1 more stab .. Something to do with lubrication ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Supporter » 19 Jun 2014, 8:32 am

For finger printing LAFO because we're apparently all criminals? :(
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 19 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm

Apollo wrote:
The bottle on the left is some 50 years old.

Perhaps not quite 50 years, I remember thinking what a good idea it was when the puff pack first came out, it was less prone to going everywhere in your toolbag.

I don't use a brush.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by handofcod » 19 Jun 2014, 4:45 pm

Used to lubricate case necks during sizing...??
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cruze82 » 19 Jun 2014, 7:38 pm

its good stuff for lubricating a lock
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 20 Jun 2014, 11:19 am

Well, it may not be quite 50 years old but it's close and I don't exactly remember which year back in the 1960's or a little later it was purchased.

Okay. the matchbox draw was used way back then when I first started reloading with a Super Simplex Press. Since it only did Neck Sizing then Case Necks were dipped into the small amount of Graphite to provide lubrication for the inside and outside of the case neck. It left a deposit and dark mark on the outside that also got on your fingers if you didn't wipe it off. There were very few easily obtainable alternatives back then.

The Case Neck Brush is used these days for lubricating just the inside of case necks. Dip it in the very old graphite bottle, give it a shake to remove excess before removing from the bottle then down a few case necks. Leaves very little to no excess nor mess. Unlike other case neck lubricants you don't need to remove it and when charging with smokeless powder it doesn't stick to the inside of the case neck.

Very useful with new cartridge cases and/or those cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner when the natural lubricant (carbon) is not present.

I find it helps reduce the difference in bullet neck tension using new / very clean cases to those normally fired cases that have just had a quick brush down the neck to remove loose particals of burnt powder.

So some people picked it, one way or another. Others may want to think about the benefits of use in the reloading process.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 20 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

Good work Apollo. This was an interesting thread.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 Jun 2014, 3:05 pm

when i was neck sizing only i just used the redding dry lube applicator, when it ran low on lube i just refilled it with graphite. yes it can be a little messy but the graphite washes off your hands pretty easily and importantly it lubes both inside and outside the necks and it won't contaminate the powder charge like some oil based lubes.

Also worth noting that some lyman reloading dies come with a carbide sizing button on the decapping pin which doesn't require the inside of the neck to be lubricated during sizing

http://www.redding-reloading.com/online ... lubricants

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm

Thanks Chronos, one of the items I was going to mention and use these days if I happen to use standard dies for resizing. I was mainly thinking in my post on bullet seating and neck tension issues.

I do exactly the same thing, refill with graphite. The application media is ceramic balls coated with "special dry lubricant" ...industry jargon for plain old graphite and keep shaking the media to keep them coated.

When full length sizing I run my cases over a lube pad, I do not get any lube on the necks as I do exactly what you described. I found if lube gets on the necks then the little ceramic beads stick to the lube.

I'm too used to using my bushing dies and I don't lube at all with even plain steel bushings. I clean case necks with a "scouring pad" ...to remove any dirt and clean my bushings with either Hoppe's or Shellite. Great stuff Shellite, smells nice, evaporates quick and cheap plus doen't leave a residue like Metho does.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by nords » 21 Jun 2014, 12:12 pm

Chronos wrote:Image

when i was neck sizing only i just used the redding dry lube applicator, when it ran low on lube i just refilled it with graphite. yes it can be a little messy but the graphite washes off your hands pretty easily and importantly it lubes both inside and outside the necks and it won't contaminate the powder charge like some oil based lubes.

The pellets are lubed are they? You whirl the case around for a thin coat, is that it?
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 21 Jun 2014, 2:46 pm

The pellets are coated with dry lube by shaking and mixing the lube around them and just dip the case neck into the pellets. Tap the case on the edge of the container to remove any pellets that might stick to the case.

One the left is Imperial Sizing Wax, middle is the Imperial Dry Neck Lube (Graphite) and on the right is the Imperial Application Media with a coating of Dry Neck Lube. You can just see some clumped lube laying in there, the container needs a good shake to distribute it evenly.

Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 21 Jun 2014, 4:26 pm

brass shavings in your sizing wax, someones been neck turning again :lol:

thanks for the pics Apollo

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Jun 2014, 5:44 pm

Chronos wrote:brass shavings in your sizing wax, someones been neck turning again :lol: Chronos

Yep, you picked it.

300 x 30BR Cases & 150 x 6.5x47 Lapua to do their touchup skim, about 0.0005" or less after fire forming.

For those that don't know the Imperial Sizing Wax has a number of uses lubricating things like mandrels for neck turning. Only problem is it has to be removed before loading powder or the powder will stick to it in the case neck. Shellite and a Bore Mop to the rescue.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by nords » 22 Jun 2014, 2:47 pm

I see, thanks Apollo
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by headspace » 23 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

handofcod wrote:Used to lubricate case necks during sizing...??

Might have a winner here! I used to just dip the case neck in graphite to size the nicks on my old Super Simplex press way back.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by heeple » 24 Jun 2014, 8:45 pm

How goes the graphite go for a lube compared to regular stuff?

No grit getting stuck?

Hows the mess after? No graphite dust everywhere?
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition