Lee reloading dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lee reloading dies

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 May 2018, 3:06 pm

Hi guys, another question if I am using lee collet dies do I not use lube as per lee business ie should I still use lube.

The other thing I need to physically tap the depriming pin or it gets out of alignment ants doesn't hit the hole the first time
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 May 2018, 4:26 pm

have a look at this
leeprecision.com/instructions.html
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xqVpNnUVQU

its easier than me trying to explain and confusing you :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 May 2018, 7:02 am

As I said the instructions don't say use lube when using collet die.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 31 May 2018, 8:34 am

You dont need any lube when using the Lee neck collet die. The body of the die does not make close / tight contact with the case, only the neck is pressed in and then released.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 31 May 2018, 11:50 am

you dont need to lube the cases with lee collet dies :thumbsup:
only the full length sizing die
I do polish the fingers of the collet and the mandrel, the die functions better IMO
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 31 May 2018, 12:06 pm

That polishing is a once off if needed though. I have looked and at and purchased several mandrels to get the right size and not found that they need polishing. Reading forums from the past does indicate that they needed some touch ups in the past though more so on the fingers I think they may of once had only three fingers as well. lee are pretty good on updating their products with small improvements. I have seen 3 just in the latest version of their primer that I know of due to broken bits being replaced. Bentaz I don't understand your post are you in the camp for lube or not needed?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 31 May 2018, 2:28 pm

I sort of got the dirty part of the joke / post :D just could work out if there was a double meaning. :unknown: Im a bit slow. :oops:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 May 2018, 4:00 pm

I strongly feel too much lube is never enough esp when trying to squeeze your big brass into tight cavities
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

My lee FL sie just attacked my finger, through the nail... and it hurts

Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bones-350 » 31 Mar 2019, 8:33 pm

When I started reloading I read so often Lee Dies are not that good. So I went for forster dies on my 223, 22.250, and 30.06. I got a 243w rifle and went for Lee Premium Die set. To be honest I found the Lee Dies much better. I went out and got Lee Dies for the 223 and 30.06. And guess which Dies are used the most now? Lee Dies 99% of the time produce my ammo spot on my ogive measurements. Forster Dies are not as consistent as Lee Dies those are my findings.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Mar 2019, 9:43 pm

How strange, I thought you wrote the same thing in another old thread.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Apr 2019, 11:08 am

I have hornady dies and Lee dies. I prefer the hornady dies for two reasons.
No lock nut on the Lee die, so once the die is set up and in place - when you remove it the lock nut spins and throws out all your previous measurements.
The hornady bullet seating die has an extending nose, that drops down, that helps hold / centre the projectile - the lee does not.

TBH - the hornady dies just look better made to my untrained eye...price is negligible between the two.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition