Lee reloading dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee reloading dies

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jun 2014, 4:57 pm

I am an occassional shooter and do a little reloading. Not into bench rest, I'm just into hunting. Are the expensive dies worth the extra cash? I can get a set of 223 Lee RGB dies for $30 but a set of RCBS are about $75, and the price for some are a fair bit more again at the LGS. Will the lee set do tne job? Just looking for hunting accuracy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Lee reloading dies

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm

Some people frown on Lee stuff, sometimes it's warranted sometimes not, But Lee dies are great in my own humble opinion. I guess they just dont charge enough for them to be any good lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Jun 2014, 5:15 pm

I think the Lee dies are great. They're made of mild steel so they require a little extra care (cleaning and oiling) but they've got some features that make them better than some dies a lot more expensive.

The O ring that all Lee dies have mean they free float and square themselves with the case so they don't bend your case neck. Also the sizing mandrel on the Lees is at the top of the decapping pin so it sizes at the start of the downward stroke of the press, this is the point where the case is straightest in the press. Dies that have the mandrel lower on the decapping pin can bend the case neck, this may only be microscopically but it's enough to cause runout issues.

For my money I think Lee dies are the best you can get
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 27 Jun 2014, 5:42 pm

Lee dies are perfectly fine and I even prefer them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headspace » 27 Jun 2014, 9:31 pm

Nothing at all wrong with Lee gear mate, especially their Collet neck sizing die. Get them while you can.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2014, 8:19 am

Thanks gents. Great to draw on peoples own experience and confirm my thoughts. Will order a set Monday. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 28 Jun 2014, 9:48 am

Warrigul wrote:Lee dies are perfectly fine and I even prefer them.

X2 :P ;) :P
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2014, 7:03 pm

Lol Dont know what happened there. Perhaps just starting to repeat, repeat my self, self in old, old age. :roll: :roll:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2014, 7:23 pm

Lol, did it again ?.?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 30 Jun 2014, 6:46 pm

I dunno what the deal is with duplicate posts to be honest.

It only seems to happen for the same 4-5 people. Strange.

Are you on your computer or phone Oldbloke? Wondering if it's a particular phone or something like that.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by hootshoot » 30 Jun 2014, 6:48 pm

I've posted a bunch from my phone and computer with no problems.

All working here :)
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm

Monty wrote:I dunno what the deal is with duplicate posts to be honest.

It only seems to happen for the same 4-5 people. Strange.

Are you on your computer or phone Oldbloke? Wondering if it's a particular phone or something like that.

I find it happens when I'm one my phone and try to post with low signal
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2014, 9:58 pm

I happened when I was on my galaxy tablet. As I am now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 02 Jul 2014, 3:38 pm

Thanks Baldrick314, Oldbloke.

I'll pass the info up the chain and see what can be done.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 03 Jul 2014, 9:42 pm

Sorry oldmate! I hate Lee dies. The ones I've d owned have given me nothing but trouble. Again, just last night I was loading some 25/06's and the die got a little sticky and bang...I pulled the rim straight off a case and it is stuck in the FL die. I'll have to bugger around with it for ages to get it out. In fact I don't think I'll bother. I might just chuck it in the bin and get something else.
Yeh, I know I was in a hurry and I know its just me not keeping things clean and sorted but I just don't get those dramas with my other dies.
Hornadys are my favorite.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 03 Jul 2014, 10:32 pm

mausermate wrote:Sorry oldmate! I hate Lee dies. The ones I've d owned have given me nothing but trouble. Again, just last night I was loading some 25/06's and the die got a little sticky and bang...I pulled the rim straight off a case and it is stuck in the FL die. I'll have to bugger around with it for ages to get it out. In fact I don't think I'll bother. I might just chuck it in the bin and get something else.
Yeh, I know I was in a hurry and I know its just me not keeping things clean and sorted but I just don't get those dramas with my other dies.
Hornadys are my favorite.

There's your problem right there, if you don't lube properly(and the LEE lube is best) any die will stick a case.

I have a couple of sets of Hornady but mostly LEE and RCBS and I have NEVER broken a de capping pin or bent a spindle in any of my LEE dies but have broken seven in my two sets of Hornady over the years, I mustn't be the only one either as the local gunshop carries plenty of spare pins, spindles and expander balls.

Still some people like holden and some prefer ford...
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by mausermate » 04 Jul 2014, 8:54 pm

You know, it's a great thing about these forums, People make you think.

I have just come out of the gun room, I have rcbs lube and Lyman lube, every die brand you can think of. Never a trouble, apart from Lee dies that give me the s...ts because they need special treatment.....like a ford :lol:

Why do all my sets of Hornady seating dies have no markings on them. All the others do. I mean nothing.....no stamp at all. It's like one thing for everything.

Am I missing something?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by buster » 07 Jul 2014, 9:40 am

mausermate wrote:You know, it's a great thing about these forums, People make you think.

Says you.

I come here to switch off during work :lol:

(I have bits of downtime, not bludging I promise)
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 07 Jul 2014, 5:53 pm

I suppose you can have a problem with anything regardless of how good it may be. I've got Lyman and Lee dies but still prefer the Lee. The Lee Collet die is one of the greatest things ever. My Lyman dies seem a bit rough almost after using Lee. The good thing is though we're all individuals and hence do things differently to achieve the same sort of result.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm

I think it simply gets back to the individual requirements as with anything we buy. My requirements are basic. All I need is a set of 223 7/8" dies to re-load for fun, to save a dollar or two and hopefully improve the accuracy in the process. I'm not trying to be the local bench rest champ (I'm not that good any way) So any brand will do. For some they would buy the best they could afford. I still have a cheap 12 G Shot gun Lee load-all (plastic fantastic) that I purchased many yrs ago. Still use it occasionally (still have plenty of the components and powder) and it has loaded perhaps a couple of thousand rounds. So why would I spend a small fortune on a very expensive shot gun loader esp now with the cost of new stuff is now so cheap. I just blast a few bunny when there are a few around.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 08 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My requirements are basic. All I need is a set of 223 7/8" dies to re-load for fun, to save a dollar or two and hopefully improve the accuracy in the process. I'm not trying to be the local bench rest champ (I'm not that good any way) So any brand will do.

A lot of people make choosing a die twice as hard as it needs to be I reckon.

For 99% of shooters I say as long as the seating stem agrees with the bullets your using and isn't damaging them, it'll do.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by jdricks » 22 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

lee i've had are ok, but their neck dies are bad.

rcbs and redding are best, but dearer.
jdricks
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Silver87 » 23 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

The Lee collet neck dies can be great, just not right out of the box. Mine didn't provide enough neck tension (could push the projectile into the case with little effort) which was fixed but sanding the mandrel down by about .002" achieved by chucking it in a drill with a little oil and 1200 grit wet and dry.

Next thing which helps is smoothing outside of the collet and applying grease so it runs up into the part which forces the fingers in.

Lastly is the set up, in my simplex single stage I have it so the handle just cams over with out much force and I get good results every time.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by veep » 23 Oct 2014, 10:25 am

I've used Lee and RCBS for hunting loads and both do the same job as far as I can tell.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 23 Oct 2014, 5:25 pm

The Lee Collet die is something of an acquired taste, you know it's going to be OK once you get it sorted. I always take mine apart as soon as I get them and buff the collet back so that it will run freely inside the body. I also put a very light smear of light grease over the outside. There's some very good benchrest shooters who use Lee Collet dies. This may bring on some comment, but I also like the Lee powder scale. Once you get it set up right it very accurate. I made up a levelling base for mine because the scale doesn't come with a levelling device. Once you zero the scale using the knurled brass things it's fine. I used a Hornady 50gn Vmax bullet to set mine.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 23 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

Warrigul wrote:Lee dies are perfectly fine and I even prefer them.

x 2 Warrigal

Fanboy of lee dies had a lot of issues with both hornady and lyman :evil: :o :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2014, 6:43 pm

Have loaded a few test rounds for my 223. Just waiting for a chance to try them now. They seemed to work ok once st up. Thanks everyone for yor help.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 26 Oct 2014, 6:20 pm

I'm sure they'll do fine mate but let us know.

Pictures never hurt ;)
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

I Finally got out to try a few test hand loads in my 223 last weekend. Lee dies have been fine. I tried 55g Hornady SP with AR2208 ( worth a try as I also use it for my 3006) from 23 to 26 grains in .5 grain increments to start off.
The best load was 23.5 g achieving just under an inch (see pic) at 100 yards ( read long paces) off a plastic picnic table. Although this should be fine for foxes I will next try .2 of a grain above and below when I get a chance. I have since sized and cleaned the cases and found that there is a lot of variation in weight. Half weigh about 102 grains and the other half weight about 104 grains so I have sorted them, should help. That's what happens when you buy cheap ammo I spose.

223 Marlin 91 mtrs AR 23.5 55g Hornady.jpg
223 Marlin 91 mtrs AR 23.5 55g Hornady.jpg (402.18 KiB) Viewed 6793 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I Finally got out to try a few test hand loads in my 223 last weekend. Lee dies have been fine. I tried 55g Hornady SP with AR2208 ( worth a try as I also use it for my 3006) from 23 to 26 grains in .5 grain increments to start off.
The best load was 23.5 g achieving just under an inch (see pic) at 100 yards ( read long paces) off a plastic picnic table. Although this should be fine for foxes I will next try .2 of a grain above and below when I get a chance. I have since sized and cleaned the cases and found that there is a lot of variation in weight. Half weigh about 102 grains and the other half weight about 104 grains so I have sorted them, should help. That's what happens when you buy cheap ammo I spose.

223 Marlin 91 mtrs AR 23.5 55g Hornady.jpg

A good result, many use AR2208 for .223, one of the most versatile powders out there INMHO.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition