Lee reloading dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lee reloading dies

Post by headspace » 07 Jul 2014, 5:53 pm

I suppose you can have a problem with anything regardless of how good it may be. I've got Lyman and Lee dies but still prefer the Lee. The Lee Collet die is one of the greatest things ever. My Lyman dies seem a bit rough almost after using Lee. The good thing is though we're all individuals and hence do things differently to achieve the same sort of result.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm

I think it simply gets back to the individual requirements as with anything we buy. My requirements are basic. All I need is a set of 223 7/8" dies to re-load for fun, to save a dollar or two and hopefully improve the accuracy in the process. I'm not trying to be the local bench rest champ (I'm not that good any way) So any brand will do. For some they would buy the best they could afford. I still have a cheap 12 G Shot gun Lee load-all (plastic fantastic) that I purchased many yrs ago. Still use it occasionally (still have plenty of the components and powder) and it has loaded perhaps a couple of thousand rounds. So why would I spend a small fortune on a very expensive shot gun loader esp now with the cost of new stuff is now so cheap. I just blast a few bunny when there are a few around.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 08 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My requirements are basic. All I need is a set of 223 7/8" dies to re-load for fun, to save a dollar or two and hopefully improve the accuracy in the process. I'm not trying to be the local bench rest champ (I'm not that good any way) So any brand will do.

A lot of people make choosing a die twice as hard as it needs to be I reckon.

For 99% of shooters I say as long as the seating stem agrees with the bullets your using and isn't damaging them, it'll do.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by jdricks » 22 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

lee i've had are ok, but their neck dies are bad.

rcbs and redding are best, but dearer.
jdricks
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Silver87 » 23 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

The Lee collet neck dies can be great, just not right out of the box. Mine didn't provide enough neck tension (could push the projectile into the case with little effort) which was fixed but sanding the mandrel down by about .002" achieved by chucking it in a drill with a little oil and 1200 grit wet and dry.

Next thing which helps is smoothing outside of the collet and applying grease so it runs up into the part which forces the fingers in.

Lastly is the set up, in my simplex single stage I have it so the handle just cams over with out much force and I get good results every time.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by veep » 23 Oct 2014, 10:25 am

I've used Lee and RCBS for hunting loads and both do the same job as far as I can tell.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 23 Oct 2014, 5:25 pm

The Lee Collet die is something of an acquired taste, you know it's going to be OK once you get it sorted. I always take mine apart as soon as I get them and buff the collet back so that it will run freely inside the body. I also put a very light smear of light grease over the outside. There's some very good benchrest shooters who use Lee Collet dies. This may bring on some comment, but I also like the Lee powder scale. Once you get it set up right it very accurate. I made up a levelling base for mine because the scale doesn't come with a levelling device. Once you zero the scale using the knurled brass things it's fine. I used a Hornady 50gn Vmax bullet to set mine.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 23 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

Warrigul wrote:Lee dies are perfectly fine and I even prefer them.

x 2 Warrigal

Fanboy of lee dies had a lot of issues with both hornady and lyman :evil: :o :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2014, 6:43 pm

Have loaded a few test rounds for my 223. Just waiting for a chance to try them now. They seemed to work ok once st up. Thanks everyone for yor help.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 26 Oct 2014, 6:20 pm

I'm sure they'll do fine mate but let us know.

Pictures never hurt ;)
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

I Finally got out to try a few test hand loads in my 223 last weekend. Lee dies have been fine. I tried 55g Hornady SP with AR2208 ( worth a try as I also use it for my 3006) from 23 to 26 grains in .5 grain increments to start off.
The best load was 23.5 g achieving just under an inch (see pic) at 100 yards ( read long paces) off a plastic picnic table. Although this should be fine for foxes I will next try .2 of a grain above and below when I get a chance. I have since sized and cleaned the cases and found that there is a lot of variation in weight. Half weigh about 102 grains and the other half weight about 104 grains so I have sorted them, should help. That's what happens when you buy cheap ammo I spose.

223 Marlin 91 mtrs AR 23.5 55g Hornady.jpg
223 Marlin 91 mtrs AR 23.5 55g Hornady.jpg (402.18 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I Finally got out to try a few test hand loads in my 223 last weekend. Lee dies have been fine. I tried 55g Hornady SP with AR2208 ( worth a try as I also use it for my 3006) from 23 to 26 grains in .5 grain increments to start off.
The best load was 23.5 g achieving just under an inch (see pic) at 100 yards ( read long paces) off a plastic picnic table. Although this should be fine for foxes I will next try .2 of a grain above and below when I get a chance. I have since sized and cleaned the cases and found that there is a lot of variation in weight. Half weigh about 102 grains and the other half weight about 104 grains so I have sorted them, should help. That's what happens when you buy cheap ammo I spose.

223 Marlin 91 mtrs AR 23.5 55g Hornady.jpg

A good result, many use AR2208 for .223, one of the most versatile powders out there INMHO.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm

Fairly happy with that for a 4 shot group & not bad for a cheap sporter. It already shoots better than I can in the field. :roll:
I just hope to squeeze a tad more out of it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Fairly happy with that for a 4 shot group & not bad for a cheap sporter. It already shoots better than I can in the field. :roll:
I just hope to squeeze a tad more out of it.

What breed of rifle OB?
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

Marlin X7 Bolt action New for $520. Very light.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 4:09 pm

Anyone have any recent experiences or opinions on Lee dies. I have a couple of sets and they seem to be fine however I am not sure I like the idea of the collet neck sizer. I have no logical reason for this other than there is a possibility of varying neck tension from one batch of reloads to another if the die isn’t set in the exact same place.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 5:13 pm

JimTom wrote:Anyone have any recent experiences or opinions on Lee dies. I have a couple of sets and they seem to be fine however I am not sure I like the idea of the collet neck sizer. I have no logical reason for this other than there is a possibility of varying neck tension from one batch of reloads to another if the die isn’t set in the exact same place.

I use the collect neck dies in every caliber I can, brilliant design.
Why would your die not be set up the same every time?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 6:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Anyone have any recent experiences or opinions on Lee dies. I have a couple of sets and they seem to be fine however I am not sure I like the idea of the collet neck sizer. I have no logical reason for this other than there is a possibility of varying neck tension from one batch of reloads to another if the die isn’t set in the exact same place.

The Lee dies I have don’t have a grub screw to lock off the collar in the same position as RCBS and Redding dies I’ve used do. Basically I am resetting my does every time I reload.
In saying that, I run the ram up, screw the die down, drop the ram then give the die another 1/2 a turn then screw down the collar so I guess the difference is negligible anyway.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 21 May 2018, 6:36 pm

Is your press a breech lock as the breech lock devices are very quick to change and lock up tight. But in setting the collet die I dont think it really matters how you set it the die just pushes the neck up against a mandrel. Reading back over the pages I think the dies may have better quality now as I havent heard of anybody doing much work to them.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 6:41 pm

JimTom wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The Lee dies I have don’t have a grub screw to lock off the collar in the same position as RCBS and Redding dies I’ve used do. Basically I am resetting my does every time I reload.
In saying that, I run the ram up, screw the die down, drop the ram then give the die another 1/2 a turn then screw down the collar so I guess the difference is negligible anyway.

It surely has the locknut and o-ring?
There isn't any set up required, you simply push the ram up as far as it goes, that's all there is to it.
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 May 2018, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 6:44 pm

I bought two dozen of the lockable bushings before I worked out that the locknut and o-ring works just fine. I have three dozen of the non-locking bushings.
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 May 2018, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 7:07 pm

I nearly purchased the lockable bushings today as well however think that I shall refrain after reading the input into this thread today.
Blade racer I have found that if I don't turn the neck sizer another 1/2 turn then there isn't sufficient neck tension.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 7:10 pm

sungazer wrote:Is your press a breech lock as the breech lock devices are very quick to change and lock up tight. But in setting the collet die I dont think it really matters how you set it the die just pushes the neck up against a mandrel. Reading back over the pages I think the dies may have better quality now as I havent heard of anybody doing much work to them.

Mate I am just using a single sage simplex press. In all honesty the Lee dies seem to be fine for my purposes, however I still have much to learn and I guess that has contributed to me allowing the seed of doubt to be seen by others who don't seem to like Lee dies.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 21 May 2018, 7:35 pm

For cheap dies I find that Lee produces ammo with very little runout, you have to go and get Wilsin or Redding dies to do any better. I have used the RGB $30 dies to produce ammo in a 22/250 that shoots in the low.2s from a factory rifle. I use Lee lube mixed with Balistol rubbed onto the case with my fingers. Feel the case into the die and if it doesn't feel smooth pull it back out and rub the case again with your fingers and turn the case a little. Then get back to sizing, don't just ram it into the die. Not too much lube or you will dent the case. This is mainly a problem with big cases like a 378 WM but you can get little cases like a 223 stuck if you try hard enough. Light thin lube all over your case and a delicate touch resizing will save you stuck case frustration.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 21 May 2018, 8:31 pm

You can buy lock rings for the dies. I have a Lee press with the breech lock system. So I pretty much have a breech lock on every die I own. Although it should be pretty easy to set the neck sizing die up the same every time? Simply screw in until it contact shell holder then turn 2 full turns for a Lee press. Think it is one full turn for other presses.

If your not getting consistent neck tension. I'd try cleaning and lubing the top of the collet. I had to polish the mandrel in my 223 collet neck die as it wasn't providing enough tension. Also after sizing case I usually spin case in shell holder and size it again. Effectively sizing it twice. seems to work for me.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 8:33 pm

Thanks mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 8:41 pm

JimTom wrote:I nearly purchased the lockable bushings today as well however think that I shall refrain after reading the input into this thread today.
Blade racer I have found that if I don't turn the neck sizer another 1/2 turn then there isn't sufficient neck tension.

I can't understand that, all you have to do is ensure the ram goes _all the way up_, as in it can't go any further. That is all that is required to operate the collect that sizes the neck. I've never found any need to back off the collet from fully closed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 8:49 pm

Cooper wrote:You can buy lock rings for the dies. I have a Lee press with the breech lock system. So I pretty much have a breech lock on every die I own. Although it should be pretty easy to set the neck sizing die up the same every time? Simply screw in until it contact shell holder then turn 2 full turns for a Lee press. Think it is one full turn for other presses.

If your not getting consistent neck tension. I'd try cleaning and lubing the top of the collet. I had to polish the mandrel in my 223 collet neck die as it wasn't providing enough tension. Also after sizing case I usually spin case in shell holder and size it again. Effectively sizing it twice. seems to work for me.

The only reason I can think of that the die wouldn't simply be locked and let in that position forever would be if you only have one breechlock bushing. There is no reason to be setting it up all the time. But with the collet die it doesn't need to be "set up" at all, screw the die right down into the press if you want, the result will be the same, all you need do is push the ram up as far possible. Only the seating and crimp dies need to be set to a specific height.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 8:53 pm

Cooper wrote:You can buy lock rings for the dies. I have a Lee press with the breech lock system. So I pretty much have a breech lock on every die I own.

Yep, you need bushings for each die, dozens of them. It is possible to use one bushing by putting two locknuts on each die, but it defeats the value of using a bushing press.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 8:58 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I am just using a single sage simplex press. In all honesty the Lee dies seem to be fine for my purposes, however I still have much to learn and I guess that has contributed to me allowing the seed of doubt to be seen by others who don't seem to like Lee dies.

I'm not familiar with Simplex stuff, but is it possible it restricts travel in some way that prevents it from operating the neck collet? The die has to be set low enough for the ram to push the collet up into the die. Don't set it up like a full length die.
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 May 2018, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition