Which load data to use when working up 223 and 243 loads?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Which load data to use when working up 223 and 243 loads?

Post by becks » 10 Jul 2013, 9:36 am

I'm looking to start loading my .223 rem and .243 win, but getting looking through cartridge load data from various sources it's all over the place.

I've been looking through data from as many people as I can find - Noser, ADI, Sierra etc. and manuals from some 'well regarded' shooters like Nick Harvey etc.

Quite a difference on what some consider low charge weights, or hot loads etc.

Any advice on which load data is best to go with?

If I could not blow myself up that would be pretty great :lol:
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Which load data to use when working up 223 and 243 loads

Post by dustin » 10 Jul 2013, 9:49 am

I know what you mean.

I've recently started reloading myself and found much of the same. From what I've seen quite a few of the shooter written reloading data is over the max safe load data from ADI and other manufacturers, while saying that the manufacturer load data is "dangerously conservative". Dunno where there getting this info from but that seems to be the opinion of more than a few.

IMO I would stick with the ADI load data (or whoever's powder you're using). Surely they've done more testing than some self proclaimed reloading expert, no matter how experienced they are.
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by shazz » 10 Jul 2013, 10:00 am

My favourite calibre, .243 win :D
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Broom » 10 Jul 2013, 11:04 am

I use the ADI .308 load data for my ruger scout with good results (and no blowing myself up ;) )
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

ADI powders

Post by Lorgar » 10 Jul 2013, 12:10 pm

+1 from me for using ADI powders and load data.

In my experience the people who often claim ADI's load data (and others) is "dangerously" conservative usually have a bit of an obsession with achieving maximum velocities.

I also have a .243 and load 80gr pills with 45gr of 2209 powder (max load according to ADI data) for about 3300fps. When talking about it in the past in other places I've heard it said that this was "low" and I should be getting 4,000fps out of my .243.

They haven't bothered to ask what/where/how I shoot. They just immediately focus on the muzzle velocity.

My .243 is usually used for shooting foxes and bunnies inside about 200m. With this load foxes get put down with absolute authority, bunnies just about turn inside out. It wouldn't have any problem taking down small deer either. Chital, Fallow or Hog would all be fine.

Absolutely no need whatsoever to go any higher in this instance.

Another favourite from the anti-ADI reloaders is blaming ADI's "dangerously conservative" data for the secondary explosion effect (SSE) phenomenon. IMO this is total rubbish - Yes SEE has happened, but the particulars of the incident are always pretty fuzzy, everyone's just quick to jump on the bandwagon and say "Oooooh! SSE! SSE!" and that this load or that load is responsible etc.

From what I've read, the more common occurrence for serious failures seems to be attributed to people accidentally doing double powder loads or a barrel obstruction. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever been able to reproduce an instance of SSE. It happens very rarely and it's all just theory on why.

I don't know how many loads get fired every day which use ADI load data - tens of thousands maybe? If they were anywhere near as "dangerously low" as some people make out we'd be seeing thousands of blowups. Obviously this isn't the case.

Interesting to note also that a few of the "expert" reloaders who demonize lower powder loads are the ones with blown off fingers or hands...

I've put thousands of rounds out from my .243 and .308 using ADI load data with good results, and am going to continue to do so.

IMO, stick to the ADI powders and load data.
Last edited by Lorgar on 27 Aug 2013, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 10 Jul 2013, 3:57 pm

The SSE bandwagon, ha ha :lol:

You're right though. Plenty of people love going on about it even though they've never seen it happen, or know anyone that has etc. :roll:

Stick to the manufacturers load data IMO, not self proclaimed experts.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by becks » 11 Jul 2013, 9:38 am

ADI load data it is then. Cheers.
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks