Competition projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Competition projectiles

Post by Gunner » 30 Jul 2014, 9:39 am

Yesterday, I wandered into my local gun shop to purchase a new supply of projectiles for my .303 that is used in military competitions - Sierra Matchking 174 gr in .311 calibre. Well, they were out of stock and could not say when a new supply would be available. Some 10 phone calls and a few emails later to Firearm stores throughout NSW and Queensland, I get the same story - problems with firearm laws in USA, not producing anymore etc etc etc. Does anybody know what is going on? Is there an alternate projectile that would do the job?
Gunner
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Projectiles

Post by Shotfox » 30 Jul 2014, 9:46 am

Sierra bullets are hard to get at anytime in most calibres as I only use Sierra I hear your frustration. Drop a line to Sierra direct and see how you go I have had luck getting them in the ACT.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Josh Smith » 30 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

Gunner wrote:Yesterday, I wandered into my local gun shop to purchase a new supply of projectiles for my .303 that is used in military competitions - Sierra Matchking 174 gr in .311 calibre. Well, they were out of stock and could not say when a new supply would be available. Some 10 phone calls and a few emails later to Firearm stores throughout NSW and Queensland, I get the same story - problems with firearm laws in USA, not producing anymore etc etc etc. Does anybody know what is going on? Is there an alternate projectile that would do the job?

Hi Gunner,

I use .311" Sierra Match King a lot for my rifles that take that size bullet.

It's nothing political and nothing concerning firearms laws.

What is happening is that we have a lot of new shooters. We had a run on ammo, components, firearms, etc when Obama was first elected, and it eventually stopped.

He got elected again and the run started again.

The number of new shooters we have is unprecedented. The last I heard from Winchester, they didn't expect rimfire supply to catch up with demand for two years.

New shooters are burning through ammo, and have become some of the most vocal proponents supporting pro-gun legislation. States that I never figured would ever allow carry of handguns have passed carry license laws.

I would suggest a number of alternates that you may or may not find in ready supply:

• Hornady Match is excellent. Available? I don't know. I've not seen it recently.
• Lapua 200 grain boat tail. This reproduces the Finnish D166 ammo in 7.62x54r and I would imagine it would be similarly outstanding in .303 British.
• I have had good luck with round nose Woodleigh Bullets, and they're right there in Australia! Until the barrel heats too much, the long bearing surface round nose bullets give stellar precision out of anything I shoot them from. It's just excess heat that has kept me away from this style bullet.

I hope this sheds light on some matters.

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Rippah » 31 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm

Josh Smith wrote:What is happening is that we have a lot of new shooters.

It's all those gun-control campaigns making people go out and stock up :lol:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 01 Aug 2014, 8:41 am

I found Nosler Custom Competitions were a pretty good substitute for Match Kings in my .308
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Khan » 01 Aug 2014, 2:36 pm

Gunner wrote:Is there an alternate projectile that would do the job?

Nosler Customs Comps.

Berger VLD.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 01 Aug 2014, 2:37 pm

Berger are tough to get these days too.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by whert » 06 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm

Match Kings or Nosler Custom Comps are the only two my locals seem able to regularly get in stock.

A bit of stock of the Nosler Accubond Long Range's now, but they're expensive!
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 20 Aug 2014, 3:08 pm

Josh Smith wrote:• Hornady Match is excellent. Available? I don't know. I've not seen it recently.

Hornady match is good. Comes in HP and HPBT too depending on what your rifles likes.

The trick is to stock up while you can I guess, doesn't come up much in my locals either.
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Competition projectiles

Post by 6mmdasher » 23 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

If any one is interested I have 2 and a hlf packets of 174 gr sierra in .311 and nearly the same in hornady 174 fmj boat tails that i wont be using as I have sold all my 303's
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bm777 » 26 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

Gunner wrote:Yesterday, I wandered into my local gun shop to purchase a new supply of projectiles for my .303 that is used in military competitions - Sierra Matchking 174 gr in .311 calibre. Well, they were out of stock and could not say when a new supply would be available. Some 10 phone calls and a few emails later to Firearm stores throughout NSW and Queensland, I get the same story - problems with firearm laws in USA, not producing anymore etc etc etc. Does anybody know what is going on? Is there an alternate projectile that would do the job?

Gunner..have you thought of casting? I have a smelly 303 No1MkIII* and cast for that with good success. I have tried everything and because of the poor bore of these rifles, casting bullets makes them shoot pretty good. Alternatively, check http://www.hrbc.com.au/ Cheaper and better proggies...
bm777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by hoogle » 27 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm

Can you really make match grade stuff yourself though with casting?

Wouldn't have thought tolerances were fine enough?
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bm777 » 27 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm

Not bench rest, but surplus army rifles as 303s, Mosins, 30-06s carcanos, K98s etc...thrive on cast bullets. The trick is to slug your barrel and then cast from 1 to 2thousands of an inch bigger than what your barrel is. For example, my 303 measure .311" at the muzzle, I am casting the Lyman .314" 200gr gas check proggy. I size to .313 thrugh a Lee sizer. That's 2 thousands of an inch bigger that what I slugged.

The problem with the 303 bullets is that, mostly, they are boat-tailed. That's not a good feature to have on old/worn barrels as the gas from the burning powder will pass over and around the bullet, De-stabilising it and accuracy will definitely suffer. I can email or post some photos of the targets, if you want together with my loadout?
bm777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by hoogle » 29 Aug 2014, 5:10 pm

I'd appreciate seeing some target if you can post 'em :)
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by maxi » 29 Aug 2014, 5:12 pm

bm777 wrote:The problem with the 303 bullets is that, mostly, they are boat-tailed.

Any reason you can't fast/use flat base bullets?

They're good for a few hundred metres accuracy which is what most would be shooting with those rifles anyway, right?
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Return to Reloading ammunition