First reloading press

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: First reloading press

Post by brand » 18 Aug 2014, 10:15 am

Silver87 wrote:so if the primer does go off injury is unlikely (you may need to change your undies though :shock: ).

Is a rifle primer loud if it goes off by itself? How close to a gun shot?
brand
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 18 Aug 2014, 10:17 am

A rifle primer doesn't sound like firing a cartridge in the same rifle.

They have some pop though. Sounds pretty similar to firing a 22 I'd say.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 18 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

a "large rifle primer" is equivalent to a loud cap gun, but definitely quiter than a 22LR standard
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 19 Aug 2014, 10:22 am

Something like that...

Nothing that would worry your ears.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Silver87 » 19 Aug 2014, 11:07 am

Korkt wrote:Something like that...

Nothing that would worry your ears.

Yeah definitly wouldn't hurt your ears but could catch you by suprise, long story short further seating primers on a loaded catridge isnt good pratice.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 20 Aug 2014, 8:32 am

Yep, wouldn't do it with a loaded cartridge. Not promoting that.

I have had to fire a few in empty brass though. Primed them, ended up wanting to neck the brass down for another rifle so fired the primers only before depriming them in the press.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Austwave » 25 Mar 2019, 6:06 pm

While the topic is running
I'm looking at having a crack at reloading and have been doing a bit of research on what single stage press.
Was looking at a RCBS rock chucker supreme.

I have a 223 which I want to do some 70gn or about and looking at a 270 or 308 as a second calibre only hunting a few times a year so not a heap of rounds just want to be using ones that work for me. is it worth the effort or just buy factories , not that many heavier 223 loads in factory
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2019, 6:23 pm

Austwave wrote:While the topic is running
I'm looking at having a crack at reloading and have been doing a bit of research on what single stage press.
Was looking at a RCBS rock chucker supreme.

I have a 223 which I want to do some 70gn or about and looking at a 270 or 308 as a second calibre only hunting a few times a year so not a heap of rounds just want to be using ones that work for me. is it worth the effort or just buy factories , not that many heavier 223 loads in factory

I don't think the last post in August 2014 indicates a live thread ;-)
I use the Lee Breechlock Challenger to load everything up to .30-06 and 8x57mm, and to form brass from other brass. It's more than strong enough to load rifle ammo. What twist rate is your .223Rem barrel?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Austwave » 25 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

Yes you are right I was getting the threads and searches mixed up a bit tired and multi tasking
1:8 tikka t3X lite 223
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2019, 7:51 pm

Austwave wrote:Yes you are right I was getting the threads and searches mixed up a bit tired and multi tasking

No worries :-)
8"-twist should shoot the 80gn ELDM very well, I use them in my Ruger American.
I can't really recommend getting into reloading just to save money, unless you are doing an awful lot of shooting. The main reason to load is to be able to build the ammo that best suits your purpose. If you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year, and want to do so cheaper, you'd really have to use the Lee Loader, which you can get into for under $100 per chambering. If you're shooting more though you can save money with one of the cheaper loading press kits for a few hundred dollars, and buying primers, bullets and powders in bulk when they're on special.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Austwave » 25 Mar 2019, 8:39 pm

Thanks for that was only looking for getting appropriate loads more than saving money so a cheaper option is probably better as return on investment will be long.
May well die before I cover my costs.
Better putting the funds into another rifle
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 3:16 pm

Austwave wrote:Thanks for that was only looking for getting appropriate loads more than saving money so a cheaper option is probably better as return on investment will be long.
May well die before I cover my costs.
Better putting the funds into another rifle

More rifles is never a bad thing :-)
With .223 it's hard to reload ammo cheaper than you can buy factory ammo, especially after you sell the brass to a reloader. But some of the more niche .223Rem ammo is getting right up there price-wise, $4 apiece for Remington 69gn Matchking for example, making reloading a better option. I got 500 80gn ELDM's for $165 on special a year ago - 33 cents apiece. I'm shooting the 80gn ELDM for around 50 cents a shot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Mar 2019, 10:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Austwave wrote:Yes you are right I was getting the threads and searches mixed up a bit tired and multi tasking

No worries :-)
8"-twist should shoot the 80gn ELDM very well, I use them in my Ruger American.
I can't really recommend getting into reloading just to save money, unless you are doing an awful lot of shooting. The main reason to load is to be able to build the ammo that best suits your purpose. If you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year, and want to do so cheaper, you'd really have to use the Lee Loader, which you can get into for under $100 per chambering. If you're shooting more though you can save money with one of the cheaper loading press kits for a few hundred dollars, and buying primers, bullets and powders in bulk when they're on special.

I have a Lee press and use their dies as well for my 204 and 243. I have been pleased with how well the Lee gear works. Especially for the small outlay.

Tragically, here in country Wait Awhile, you don’t need to shoot that much to make reloading cost effective in those two calibres. How does over $50 a box of 20 sound? Plus sometimes getting the ammo can be a pain. I don’t blame the LGS as WAPOL changed the rules about what carriers can be used to freight ammo. That certainly didn’t reduce their overheads.

The bright side of living here is I do have quite a few places in reasonable proximity to use my reloads on. I have now shot over 20 foxes this year so far. So it isn’t all bad.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Maxjon » 05 Apr 2020, 6:56 pm

Been loading with single stage presses for rifles the 30yrs. Wouldnt mind an RL550 for the manual index feature, keep a bit more control over each process
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition