AR2219 and Benchmark 2 traits?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

AR2219 and Benchmark 2 traits?

Post by andym79 » 09 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm

Hi I have some questions about AR2219 and Benchmark 2:

Is it position sensitive?
Is it temperature sensitive?
Is it suitable for reduced loads?
What fill rate does it need to function correctly?
Does it pressure spike?
What pressure range will it operate well in?

If anyone can answer any of the above questions. Please do.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: AR2219 and Benchmark 2 traits?

Post by Apollo » 10 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm

I would say in order....

By position, if you mean a partly filled case with the powder laying across the case then they will be the same as any other powder.

No, ADI Powders are Single Base.

I don't think so, ask ADI direct. If they don't list a reduced load I'd be very cautious of using a less than minimum suggested load.

Most powders perform best when approaching 100% case density, at least over 80%.

In general as best I know is that Single Base Powders don't show that pressure spike that Double Base can do.

Last question, no idea. Consult the ADI / Hodgdon Reloading Data.... Hodgdon do all the testing at their own facility.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 11 Aug 2014, 11:21 am

Thanks for reaffirming that. as far as I know the more bases a powder has the more susceptible it is to vicious pressure spiking on the upper end with loads that are just a little bit too hot and are also more likely to have low end detonation problems with charges that are too light.

Double base powders contain nitroglycerine (dynamite) and nitrocellulose, single base powders only nitrocellulose (thats why single base powders were the choice of wildcatters, less chance of blowing up your rifle.)

ADI powders are temperature sensitive just much less then most other powders.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by samf » 11 Aug 2014, 4:03 pm

andym79 wrote:ADI powders are temperature sensitive just much less then most other powders.

Could be good IMO if Australian Outback Ammo sold their temperature resistant powder.

Heaps of interest in that from a lot of people but don't want to buy factory ammo.

If they sold just there powder I reckon they'd get heaps of buyers.
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 11 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm

Australian Outback Ammo do sell their temperature resistant powder....!!!!

Who do you think Outback Ammo is...??? It's ADI and what powder do you think they use...ADI.

Your trick is to work out which powder. Hint, buy some Outback Ammo and pull one apart and compare it to the range of ADI's powders. Most are easily picked by their colour and size of the granules. There could be a slight chance it may be blended but I would doubt it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by samf » 12 Aug 2014, 11:05 am

Apollo wrote:Your trick is to work out which powder. Hint, buy some Outback Ammo and pull one apart and compare it to the range of ADI's powders. Most are easily picked by their colour and size of the granules. There could be a slight chance it may be blended but I would doubt it.

Or... It would be good if they just sold it and I could buy it without doing all that...

Like I said :P

Who's going to go buy all that ADI powder to have a go at comparing it, really...

Then be stuck with the powder after.

If you do it though I'll be happy to take your answer :lol:
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 12 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

If I find someone who will give me at least one of the Outback Ammo Cartridges I'll pull it apart and do the comparison, powder weight etc. I've got most all the ADI Powders up to AR2213SC and can even check the weight of individual granules, maybe two granules in the small one's. Checking muzzle velocity would be another test.

ADI Powders have a standard of +/- 25 fps between batch numbers so that would have to be considered as well.

Trouble is I don't have a .308W nor Dies but that would be too hard to solve.

Might just be as easy to ask my friend who works for ADI to see what he can find out. I'll see him in a couple of weeks at a competition shoot.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 12 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

Well I will forget the experimentation I had in mind! Its not worth the risk.

It was probably unwise. The AR2219 can find a home in the 38-55 or 223 and the BM2 in the 30-30 or the 223.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by samf » 13 Aug 2014, 9:40 am

Apollo wrote:Might just be as easy to ask my friend who works for ADI to see what he can find out. I'll see him in a couple of weeks at a competition shoot.

If he can give you an answer I'd like to know :)
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Joom » 13 Aug 2014, 9:41 am

andym79 wrote:Well I will forget the experimentation I had in mind! Its not worth the risk.

Better safe than sorry. It's always nice to have all your fingers left at the end of a shoot :)
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by not shore » 10 Sep 2014, 12:54 am

about the out back powder read all the article on out back ammunition they use 8208 it not temp sensitive
not shore
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pom » 11 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm

The Aussie Outback ammo, it's just straight up out of the box 8208? If you know...

Not mixed or anything special?
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition