How much do bullet weights vary for batching?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

How much do bullet weights vary for batching?

Post by flap » 20 Aug 2014, 2:01 pm

I know match shooters weight and batch their projectiles for consistency.

How much do bullet weights vary in a box normally?

Just curious, thanks.
Sako A7 .270 Win
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
flap
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: How much do bullet weights vary for batching?

Post by Fozzy » 20 Aug 2014, 2:06 pm

I had some 125g 9mm that ranged from 122.7 -127.8g but most of them were in 124-126 g range
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 Aug 2014, 2:30 pm

It varies from maker to maker. I batched 1000 Nosler Custom Comp 168gr and they all were within a grain range. From memory it was 167.4 to 168.4
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Aug 2014, 2:34 pm

The biggest factor by a long shot, is the quality, standards and tollerances allowed by the manufacturer. You get what you pay for and that's why custom match grade bullets cost a lot more. Not only weight but all their other dimensions.

Generally batch in 0.1gr variations and you may get a maximum of 0.4gr or less over a 100 count lot.

Something like Winchester Bullets you might find the complete opposite and vary 4.0gr or far more.

All lead or lead tip have large variations compared to hollow point with just a lead core which is usually precision cut.

If you buy quality hunting / varmint bullets from a quality manufacturer like Berger Bullets you get the same standards as their Target Bullets.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by flap » 21 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

Apollo wrote:Generally batch in 0.1gr variations and you may get a maximum of 0.4gr or less over a 100 count lot.

That's sort of the range I was expecting for everything.

4gr for the less precise ones seems like heaps!
Sako A7 .270 Win
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
flap
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 21 Aug 2014, 11:36 am

I pretty much buy Berger Bullets exclusively for varminting and target. Usually I will buy in bulk so I get all from the same manufacturing batch, 500 to 2,000 at a time and get a further discount for bulk plus one lot of postage. I then batch perhaps 500 at a time for weight and then for ogive length. Takes time but it's one way of getting a consistant result with less flyers if any at all hopefully, usually then it's operator error.

Overall they aren't much dearer than bullets from say Nosler, Hornady, Barnes &/or Sierra. Most times I have to keep an eye on my supplies and place an order well in advance so I don't run short. Wait time can be months for the high demand types and waiting for a production run by the manufacturer.

All worth the effort.

There are local manufacturers of custom bullets which are of equal or better quality but dearer and again a wait usually for them to be made to order.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jackles » 22 Aug 2014, 10:57 am

Apollo wrote:...and then for ogive length. Takes time but it's one way of getting a consistant result with less flyers if any at all hopefully

How much work to you find your doing with ogive and the tips? Do I remember right you do meplat uniforming as well?

I tried the Bergers ages ago and in my .308 and had terrible results :(
32-20 Winchester 9422
.22LR Remington Model 5
.308 Remington 700
Coming soon... 17HMR
jackles
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 22 Aug 2014, 12:47 pm

"jackles" I don't understand the first question.

Second part, I take a very small amount of the Meplat just to uniform length. Out of 500 bullets I might have a half dozen or so that are too short compared to the rest to trim so they are separated. Always need a few fouling rounds / sighters. Then I point the whole lot with a Whidden Pointing Die before weight batching. Some far more experienced target shooters than I do not both with the Meplat Trimming as they see no advantage, it actually reduces the bullet's BC slightly. They just point the bullets.

None of this has been shown to have any advantage at shorter ranges like 300 metres but since I'm using the same bullets in three different rifles I do the lot and those that aren't the best pick are used at the shorter ranges. Just remember these are custom rifles, Tikka T3, Remington 700 and Stolle, with select match grade barrels. I wouldn't bother with any fancy sorting for say my Tikka T3 .243W Varmint Barrel using Berger Bullets which is only used say out to 300 metres.

It is very time consuming for the scale of the result achieved. Weight sorting is quick and I do about 100 in 15 minutes or so.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jackles » 25 Aug 2014, 9:32 am

Apollo wrote:"jackles" I don't understand the first question.

Hey Apollo.

I meant after you've batched the bullets by weight, how much variation is there in the ogive length?

If the weights the same, is the ogive length mostly the same or is it all over the place?

Say one batch is 100 bullets, how many batches inside that do you get matching the ogive length?
32-20 Winchester 9422
.22LR Remington Model 5
.308 Remington 700
Coming soon... 17HMR
jackles
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 25 Aug 2014, 1:27 pm

Okay, got it now.

I'll let you know in the next day or two. I have not so far done a huge number but I will be in the next couple of days for a competition shoot. It's been so long since I did the last lot I don't remember nor kept a record of the variation.

I've got a heap of things to do and visitors turning up so I'm flat out getting ready for at least three days away camping at the range.

It would be good some time to test just out of the box Berger Bullets and those with a full prep done at say 500 metres under the same weather conditions and see what difference there is. I'll do it one day when I catch up with all the other chores.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jackles » 25 Aug 2014, 7:26 pm

Cool mate.

Keen to know how it goes if you have the time :)
32-20 Winchester 9422
.22LR Remington Model 5
.308 Remington 700
Coming soon... 17HMR
jackles
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by flap » 25 Aug 2014, 7:27 pm

Looking forward to your update, Apollo.
Sako A7 .270 Win
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
flap
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition