ADI reloading data accuracy opinions?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

ADI reloading data accuracy opinions?

Post by Jessie » 24 Sep 2013, 11:39 am

Hi all,

Like the question says, wondering what peoples opinions are on ADI reloading data?

Obviously they're a major, well established company which would suggest their reloading data is accurate/safe/tested etc. etc.

I notice from some other shooting forums there are people who seem to frown on the ADI data, some even going so far as saying it's unsafe.

I've been using it fine for ages, just wondering if anyone's had some negative experience with it to back up any of these peoples complaints?
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: ADI reloading data accuracy opinions?

Post by Jessie » 24 Sep 2013, 12:02 pm

Forgot to say, I'm shooting 30-06 specifically, but interested in opinions over all.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by subatom » 24 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

There are tonnes of people using their reloading info without incident obviously...

Too many opinions from forum jockeys who don't really know what they're talking about IMO.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

ADI powders

Post by Blackened » 24 Sep 2013, 2:35 pm

Jessie wrote:Obviously they're a major, well established company which would suggest their reloading data is accurate/safe/tested etc.

I've read (I can't recall where exactly so take this with a grain of salt) that ADI don't physically test their data, and that load ranges and powder weights are computer simulated.

This is something that's gotten people worked up over what constitutes a "safe load" in a few conversations I've wandered through.

Like subatom says though, seems to be a few particularly loud self proclaimed experts raising it over and over, rather than people experiencing problems of any frequency.

I don't know how many rounds sent out using ADI reloading data each year - hundreds of thousands I guess? More?

If their data was half as bad as what a noisy few claim it is, there would be endless stories of failures and the loads that caused them.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Berper » 24 Sep 2013, 2:42 pm

subatom wrote:Too many opinions from forum jockeys who don't really know what they're talking about IMO.

Yep, too many people trying to be the resident expert and regurgitating info on things they've never done themselves.

Welcome to the internet.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 24 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

Blackened wrote:If their data was half as bad as what a noisy few claim it is, there would be endless stories of failures and the loads that caused them.

Exactly. Stick to their data ranges and reload with confidence IMO.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 26 Sep 2013, 8:58 pm

Blackened wrote:If their data was half as bad as what a noisy few claim it is, there would be endless stories of failures and the loads that caused them.

This.

Do your due diligence in terms of safety, start at the bottom and work your load up until you find the one that's right for your rifle, then happy shooting.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Oct 2013, 10:29 pm

Best thing you can do is buy a nick harvey's reloading manual. I was supprised at just how within the safe limits the ADI handloaders guide is. For example,the ADI guide says for .243 100grain using AR2208 the starting load is 31g and max load is 33.7g where as the Nick harvey manual starts at 34g and max is 37g for the same powder, cal. and projectile .. So his starting load is just above the ADI's max. BIG differance ! To play it safe load 4 bullets at starting loads and work your way up 1/2 a grain at a time looking at the spent shells for signs of over pressure as you go and comparing grouping. I clean between groups of 4 to ensure consistancy and ensure the barrell is cool before the next group .
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by maxi » 10 Oct 2013, 1:24 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Best thing you can do is buy a nick harvey's reloading manual. I was surprised at just how within the safe limits the ADI handloaders guide is.

Where are you getting what the "safe" limit is though if not from the manufacturer?
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by ap2727 » 10 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

I use ADI powders almost religiously, don't use much else accept in one of my handguns.
I seem to find the most accurate loads are just a bit below recommended maximums and have never had a problem. I tend use the primer flattening to assess pressure and have never had a primer really flatten out and I mostly use Federal primers and they are notoriously soft.
I am currently loading 57gn of AR2207 behind a 300gn projectile in my 45/70, max is 60gn according to ADI and Nick Harvey. Sounds like a lot and you definitely know when you fire one but it shows no sign of excessive pressure and it kills like the hammer of Thor.
ap2727
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 10 Oct 2013, 10:19 am

ap2727 wrote:I seem to find the most accurate loads are just a bit below recommended maximums and have never had a problem.

Same. I've tested a bunch of different pills and loads in mine and around 80% or so of the way to max powder load is where I get the most accurate loads.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 10 Oct 2013, 10:23 am

ap2727 wrote:...57gn of AR2207 behind a 300gn projectile in my 45/70, max is 60gn according to ADI and Nick Harvey. Sounds like a lot and you definitely know when you fire one...

My first calibre was a .243, I'd just got used to shooting it when a guy at the range offered me a shot of his .458 which was shooting 500gr pills.

KABOOOOOM!

Startled the s**t out of me :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2013, 3:07 pm

maxi wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Best thing you can do is buy a nick harvey's reloading manual. I was surprised at just how within the safe limits the ADI handloaders guide is.

Where are you getting what the "safe" limit is though if not from the manufacturer?

Safe load limits , ie. within ADI's reloading manual's recomendations.... what I mean is that they use a very big safety factor.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by maxi » 10 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Safe load limits , ie. within ADI's reloading manual's recomendations.... what I mean is that they use a very big safety factor.

Yes I get that. That's not what I was asking though.

You said "I was surprised at just how within the safe limits the ADI handloaders guide is."

What I'm asking is...

As an example, ADI say the max 2208 load for a 150gr .308 is 47gr.

You're saying ADI's data is well inside "the safe limits".

This implies someone else has set a higher limit for this load, and that this persons data is the actual safe limit. Not a conservative one that ADI have taken up themselves to set out.

My question is - who is this higher person that has set this "actual" limit, and why would you take there information over that of the manufacturer?
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2013, 5:52 pm

Ok maxi, perhaps you didn't read my full post?.... If the ADI book says max is 33.7g and a independent reloading manual ( Nick Harvey's) recommends a max of 37g for the same powder and projectile, that's 3.3 grains above the ADI's maximum recommendation. Therefore the "higher" person, as you asked, is Nick Harvey.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kelix » 11 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

I'm sure maxi can count. He's asking why would you take the word of Nick Harvey over the word of ADI who make the powder.

I don't doubt that ADI set max loads which have a bit of a safety buffer in it - as they should.

Maxi makes a valid point though, I know Nick Harvey is well respected in this area, but why take the word of some guy over the manufacturer of the product?

No agro, just curious as to the reasoning here.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 18 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

Some guy Nick Harvey has probably burned more pounds of powder testing loads than you've had hot dinners,variations in test

chambers/barrels and brass can easily account for differences between the two charts.Live and learn,safely--if it don't look right

check again.

BB!
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by maxi » 18 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

bunnybuster wrote:Some guy Nick Harvey has probably burned more pounds of powder testing loads than you've had hot dinners.

Fair enough - Just asking :P
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Return to Reloading ammunition