Best reloading dies brand?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Best reloading dies brand?

Post by Brute » 10 Jul 2013, 3:42 pm

Novice reloader question here...

What's everyone's take on the best brand of reloading dies here?
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Best reloading dies brand?

Post by chacka » 10 Jul 2013, 3:46 pm

Any of the major brand dies should serve you well. There isn't a whole lot of difference between them.

Lee, Hornady, RCBS, etc. They'll all get the job done.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 10 Jul 2013, 4:03 pm

I've used the Hornady and RCBS dies and prefer RCBS.

In my experience, when seating the projectiles the Hornady dies leave a noticeable impression on the projectiles.

It varies from projectile to projectile. I've loaded just about everything from 55gr to 210gr projectiles from Sierra, Nosler, Berger, Hornady etc., on some it's barely visible but on others it's prominent enough that you can just catch the edge of it with your finger nail. No good...

Using RCBS dies for the same loads though and there is barely a mark, if anything on the projectiles after seating.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Antie » 11 Jul 2013, 9:10 am

The only thing I've see where you might really need a particular die is if you're shooting super long competition bullets.

Sometimes of the uneven tips of the hollow points make the bullets slightly different lengths, and if the longer bullets are touching the top of the seating die the slight changed in length make slightly different seating depths and can misshape the tips in slightly different ways.

In 99% of cases though this isn't an issue. I use RCBS also and they're fine.
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jul 2013, 1:56 pm

RCBS for my .243 with no problems.
Member-Deleted

Post by kilo 1 » 25 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

Redding dies are about as good as it gets if you want exact seating depth in relation to the lands & minimum velocity variations by controlling neck tension..If you are just starting out all of the dies mentioned are ok,
kilo 1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Brute » 25 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm

kilo 1 wrote:Redding dies are about as good as it gets if you want exact seating depth in relation to the lands & minimum velocity variations by controlling neck tension..If you are just starting out all of the dies mentioned are ok,

Thanks kilo.

Am new to this but will look at the redding dies too. No harm in getting the best ones first if that's the case ;)
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition