This is how much brass you get from trimming

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

This is how much brass you get from trimming

Post by Lorgar » 05 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

These are old photos now, I thought I might have posted them ages ago but couldn't find so I guess not. If I've missed them anyway mods delete or whatever.

Anyway... With the usual how/what/when/etc questions that get asked about trimming brass.. Sharing this for anyone new to it so they can see.

This is from trimming 139 once-fired .308 brass so you can see get an idea of how much the brass stretched and was removed. (from all of it, not the 1 case in the picture)

brass-trimmings.jpg
brass-trimmings.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 2510 times

Nice and shiny and ready to load :D

139-brass.jpg
139-brass.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 2510 times

Hope it helps.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: This is how much brass you get from trimming

Post by Chronos » 05 Oct 2014, 3:15 pm

Out of interest Logar what trimming gear are you using and to what length did you trim these cases?

I used to use a lyman mini lathe to trim 7-08 cases but since I bought the Wilson trimmer I no longer have nightmares about trimming brass. Lol

I know i should limit my trimming to only .005" under maximum length but what I do is measure a few cases and trim a few thou shorter than the shortest case. That means The cutter trims almost every case in a new batch but only after I have full length sized them for uniformity

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by whert » 05 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm

Looks like you've been panning for gold :D
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 06 Oct 2014, 10:52 am

Little razor sharp worthless pieces of "gold" :P

A few always get away and I end up pulling them out of my feet for the next few days.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 06 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm

Chronos wrote:Out of interest Logar what trimming gear are you using and to what length did you trim these cases?

I'm using the basic Lee trimming system with the shell holder, cutter and case length gauge in the power drill.

What length... TBH I can't remember now. My .308 is now gone and all the brass has since been resized to 7mm-08 which is longer so can't measure for you.

I did a quick google but the marketing stuff I could finder for their trimmer just says "within SAAMI specs". I expect it was trimming to 2.005" as this is their recommendation.

By their specs the 7mm-08 should be trimming to 2.025" with the same system, I'll measure freshly trimmed 7mm case when I get home tonight and see.

If the 7mm case matches the SAAMI recommended trim length it's probably safe to assume the .308 cutter was trimming to it's recommended trim length as well - 2.005".

I'll let you know.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 06 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm

Ok scratch all that... All my 7mm-08 brass is being trimmed to 2.015"

NFI about the .308 Win then sorry. Guestimate of 1.995" then?

I'm helpful, right?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 07 Oct 2014, 6:50 am

Lorgar wrote:Ok scratch all that... All my 7mm-08 brass is being trimmed to 2.015"

NFI about the .308 Win then sorry. Guestimate of 1.995" then?

I'm helpful, right?

Yeah no worries mate, mine are all short, like you I use .308 brass necked down in a fl sizing for.

When I bought my 7-08 I had 300 lapua .308 so I sized them all down and trimmed to about 2.1". Up side is I have never had to retrim any of them :lol:

I'm tempted to try the lapua .308 Palma brass with the small flash hole to try and pinch a bit more accuracy out of it but I'm playing with another project this year so it will have to wait

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 07 Oct 2014, 10:09 am

I occasionally look at all those final points like primer pocket reaming and flash hole work, neck turning and trimming to optimal length etc. etc. Then I decide I can't be stuffed :lol:

No need for hunting and my loads are more than accurate enough. TBH before being asked here I didn't even look at what my 7mm-08 case lengths where. I just got the bit out of the packet and started trimming :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition