Lee powder scoops

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee powder scoops

Post by pucker » 07 Oct 2014, 9:07 am

Anyone use a Lee powder scoop?

(Or any brand of scoop?)

The fixed measure is not flexible at all obviously so you can't tune your load. Is the idea to measure how your charge with a normal powder thrower and scale first then buy the right scoop?

Or just use the scoop to quickly load if you're not really chasing accuracy?

Pretty crappy to have to buy a powder thrower for $$$ to just use it once to measure your initial charge so you can use your scoop which only costs a few bucks from then on.
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Lee powder scoops

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 Oct 2014, 9:09 am

I know a couple blokes who get the scoop that is just under their ideal load and dump it into the scale pan then trickle up the difference.

Saves them having to buy a thrower and saves time.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 08 Oct 2014, 7:23 am

I used one for year till the lyman arrived !!Yer after a while you can throw + or - 0.5 of a grain then trickle to finish the load. Great if you have lots of time on your hands!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Oct 2014, 7:57 am

Scoops had advantages and disadvantages

Yes you can scoop and then trickle for accurate loads but to scoop you need to have your powder in a pan or bowl open to humidity (which the powder then absorbs becoming heavier for a given volume (one argument to measure powder by volume not weight) This system is also more messy due to spilt powder and more dangerous, particularly is your a fan of the busters :lol:

A quality powder thrower is expensive but it's a good investment and you'll have it forever.

A tight arse scoop can be a used of damaged case with a handle soldered to it then cut or ground down to the correct height for a particular powder charge. You can also drill and tap the base and add a bolt to make it adjustable.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 08 Oct 2014, 11:48 am

pucker wrote:Anyone use a Lee powder scoop?

(Or any brand of scoop?)

The fixed measure is not flexible at all obviously so you can't tune your load. Is the idea to measure how your charge with a normal powder thrower and scale first then buy the right scoop?

Or just use the scoop to quickly load if you're not really chasing accuracy?

Pretty crappy to have to buy a powder thrower for $$$ to just use it once to measure your initial charge so you can use your scoop which only costs a few bucks from then on.

A scoop can be more consistant over say a 100 charge session than a powder thrower, after all a powder thrower is only a fancy version of a scoop. I am still beaten on a regular basis by an old fart who measures his charges with a scoop and never weighs.

I have used scoops and still occaisonally do, technique needs to be very consistant.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Shotfox » 08 Oct 2014, 11:56 am

I do use these - at least until i buy a new powder charger. Scoops tend to be messy and you do need to check and weigh the charge but they are better than a teaspoon.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 08 Oct 2014, 11:57 am

Mods- Whats with the rating thing ??
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 08 Oct 2014, 12:04 pm

Once you find out your load they can speed up changing large numbers of cases. They are a bit old fashion now that progressive presses are around. They would suit someone loading hunting ammo on a budget say with a Lee loader and a hammer. Do your self a favor and invest in a good quality thrower and press.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Blackened » 08 Oct 2014, 1:11 pm

Shotfox wrote:Mods- Whats with the rating thing ??

New addition - The more you replies you add to the forum the more your rank goes up.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 08 Oct 2014, 1:13 pm

They do make a range of scoop weights too FYI.

You can buy a set of 20 or whatever in certain increments to cover the range you expect to be using.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pucker » 08 Oct 2014, 1:13 pm

Warrigul wrote:technique needs to be very consistant.

Makes sense that's the trick to getting it right.
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition