Reloading 500 Nitro Express cost analysis

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading 500 Nitro Express cost analysis

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 Oct 2014, 7:29 am

So I had an interesting conversation with a local gun shop about getting in Hornady box of 20 500NE. He quoted me $335 per box of 20, to which I exclaimed that I had been quoted nearly $100 cheaper at my other local gun shop. Without batting an eye, he replied 'I can match that'. He was deadset going to rip me off $100 per box of ammo! What cheek.

After this, I decided I would fork out the money to reload it. I ordered everything I needed and it's either all on its way or already here.

I thought I would do a cost analysis on reloading the 500NE 3 inch to see how long it will take me to come out ahead, now that I have bought everything and paid for delivery. I had to buy a new press for this rifle as the 500NE could not be reloaded in the Lee Progressive Loadmaster, so I had to factor that cost in.

80 570gr factory rounds = $960 at the cheapest quote I could find locally ($240 per box of 20). Highest quote I got was $335 per box of 20.

80 naked brass = $396, 80 570gr projectiles + primers + powder = $140, Press + Dies + Shellholder = $373, Total = $909 (all prices include delivery).

So after the initial 80 rounds you've already paid off your reloading kit with enough money leftover to buy your wife lunch, plus every subsequent reload is around $1.75 per round.

Pretty cost effective, plus you don't have to wait a couple months for the factory ammo to be delivered which is what both local gun shops told me it would take.

I thought that was pretty interesting.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Reloading 500 Nitro Express cost analysis

Post by keen » 10 Oct 2014, 8:10 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:He quoted me $335 per box of 20, to which I exclaimed that I had been quoted nearly $100 cheaper at my other local gun shop. Without batting an eye, he replied 'I can match that'. He was deadset going to rip me off $100 per box of ammo! What cheek.

Bad indicator as to how much the rest of their stuff is jacked up.

Shopping at the other from now on Timmeh? :lol:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by mikor » 10 Oct 2014, 8:11 am

Made me cringe to just read the title thinking of the cost.

Read the figures and I was about right :lol:

soz ;)

Gunna be fun to shoot though right!
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by lole » 10 Oct 2014, 8:16 am

I think I worked it out to be about 500 rounds when I got my press to pay for itself.

Yours is much less work :lol:

When does the beast arrive?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 10 Oct 2014, 8:18 am

Damn Timmeh, $225 a box!
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 Oct 2014, 10:38 am

keen wrote:Bad indicator as to how much the rest of their stuff is jacked up.

Shopping at the other from now on Timmeh? :lol:

You bet, what a joke hey!

mikor wrote:Made me cringe to just read the title thinking of the cost.

Read the figures and I was about right :lol:

soz ;)

Gunna be fun to shoot though right!

Haha yeah, I did mean cost effective for this calibre. It's a bit of a treat but I am hoping it's going to be fun shooting. I think I am just as excited to be watching friends shoot it for the first time as I am shooting it myself. I'm getting a strap/sling in the African hunting rifle theme put on that people can wrap around their front wrist so they don't drop the damn gun when they lose a hold of it. Too many videos on youtube of people losing a grip on it and the rifle hits the dirt.

lole wrote:I think I worked it out to be about 500 rounds when I got my press to pay for itself.

Yours is much less work :lol:

When does the beast arrive?

Ha, yeah the 308 reloading is going to take me much longer, plus the progressive loader I use for those rounds was much more expensive, so it'll take even longer.

Shouldn't be too long now, I got to see it the other day mostly finished. Just waiting on serial from the firearms registry so it can be stamped in and then blued, then assembled. PTA is ready to go! Can I just say it's a big rifle! The builder is putting a little extra balanced weight into it to absorb some of the recoil. She's a solid girl but looking nice so far.

Joom wrote:Damn Timmeh, $225 a box!

Yeah I know, it's a little bit more than my other calibres. :? :shock: Even reloading them is a little bit costly. 103gr of powder every round means you only get 74 rounds-ish from half a kilo of powder. You pour a fair bit in every shell!
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 13 Oct 2014, 6:35 pm

Don't worry Timmeh.

These guys just haven't discovered the big bore stuff yet ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cavok » 13 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

Please all remember there are specialty reloading store in some states that will do the work for you, professionally and at much lest cost than you submit. They cannot afford to rip you off, they want your continued support to stay in business, and this will only happen when you are happy. One particularly in Victoria is bloody fantastic, make you almost give up loading your own ammunition, they are that cheap and good. The one in Melbourne is relatively new, he has only been doing this for 16 years very successfully. :lol:
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 13 Oct 2014, 7:41 pm

Norton wrote:Don't worry Timmeh.

These guys just haven't discovered the big bore stuff yet ;)

Haha yeah, true, but only getting 74 reloads out of half a kilo of powder sucks a bit. :roll: I love it.

cavok wrote:Please all remember there are specialty reloading store in some states that will do the work for you, professionally and at much lest cost than you submit. They cannot afford to rip you off, they want your continued support to stay in business, and this will only happen when you are happy. One particularly in Victoria is bloody fantastic, make you almost give up loading your own ammunition, they are that cheap and good. The one in Melbourne is relatively new, he has only been doing this for 16 years very successfully. :lol:

Cool, I never knew that. Cheers for that, although I'll give this a go first. Nice forum name btw.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Atter » 14 Oct 2014, 10:53 am

Could have just said this:

Reloading 500 Nitro Express cost.

Analysis: DAMN!!!

Analysis finished :lol:
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 21 Oct 2014, 7:08 pm

Atter wrote:Could have just said this:

Reloading 500 Nitro Express cost.

Analysis: DAMN!!!

Analysis finished :lol:

Rofl!! :lol:

All my reloading stuff has arrived so I am going to give reloading a crack this week. Still a shame this can't be reloaded on the progressive loader but nevermind.

I am going to start with 103gr of 2209 for the 570gr projectiles - this seems to be a popular safe load. Can't wait to get some rounds made and hopefully within the next week or so the rifle will be done. :D
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 22 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

Aww yeah that looks good all laid out like that :)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by jeener » 22 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

That size brass looks crazy :D

Looks like it's going to be fun.
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 22 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

When's the maiden voyage for the rifle now your ammo has arrived?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 22 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

I am impressed by you wish to load and shoot the nitro Express, however I thought dinosaurs where extinct? :lol: Shoot well.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 22 Oct 2014, 3:48 pm

Norton wrote:Aww yeah that looks good all laid out like that :)

Yeah, while it all looks new haha. Can't wait to be shooting it.

jeener wrote:That size brass looks crazy :D

Looks like it's going to be fun.

Yeah definitely, I sure hope so! Bloody expensive if it's not. :?

Bark wrote:When's the maiden voyage for the rifle now your ammo has arrived?

Well I need to get some ammo built but we're still waiting for the final touches to the woodwork to be completed. We've been told anytime in the next week or so, but I'd say hopefully in the next fortnight. I'll post pics and a video when it arrives!

cavok wrote:I am impressed by you wish to load and shoot the nitro Express, however I thought dinosaurs where extinct? :lol: Shoot well.

Haha yeah, people laugh but when the rabid zombie elephant apocalypse happens, they'll be sorry they ever made fun of me. :lol: :lol:
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 22 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

I assume your back up will be the S&W 500 2" barrel, just in case. Of course holstered by your side. That will teach them.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608014 ... 9&rs=0&p=0
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 22 Oct 2014, 4:13 pm

Oh wow cool, better add that to the wishlist! :D

I'm going to need some stronger wrists and shoulders!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 22 Oct 2014, 4:28 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Oh wow cool, better add that to the wishlist! :D

I'm going to need some stronger wrists and shoulders!

And to win tattslotto. I believe S&W claim if it lives on this planet, their 500 will stop it. So with your Nitro Express and the 500, let the shooting begin. :)
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jorge in Oz » 23 Oct 2014, 1:24 pm

Sorry Timmeh, but I must have missed in this thread (or another thread) but what type of rifle will you be firing these huge projectiles out of?

Cheers

jorge
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

22LR, 243W, 303-25, 6.5x55, 303-270, 8x57, 12G
Jorge in Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 23 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

Jorge in Oz wrote:Sorry Timmeh, but I must have missed in this thread (or another thread) but what type of rifle will you be firing these huge projectiles out of?

Cheers

jorge

Hey jorge,

This was my original post back when I ordered it, but basically my local gunsmith has started making and selling his own single and double shot rifles. While they are fairly simple, they are beautifully made and it's about the only way I can afford to get into such a calibre. The gunsmith Ralf Dauner makes all the metal parts himself while his wife does all the timberwork.

I saw it the other day. All the metal parts had just been blued and the final touches were being applied to the timberwork. Hopefully it will be finished in the next week or two, so I need to get some rounds built so we have something to shoot! :D

I'll definitely get some pictures up when it arrives, and a video of shooting it for the first time.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by loopal » 23 Oct 2014, 2:16 pm

Video of you getting knocked over for the first time :lol:
loopal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition