Reloading what and how & why

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading what and how & why

Post by Chronos » 14 Oct 2014, 2:40 pm

cavok wrote:Sorry, but if there is no bolt, otherwise you could not drop the round into the barrel, what the heck could possibly go wrong, the rounds aren't magic. All you would want to see if you made the first round, is if the rounds fits, (not to long) as then it will stick up high. If not crimped correctly it won't drop in it sticks, simple to just pull it out and figure what you have done wrong with your loading press.

What I think is missing is without the bolt there is no reference for case length. Your case could be touching the shoulder of the chamber and your bullet could be .120" from the lands or it could be sitting on the lands holding the case. .080" off the shoulder. There's no way to be sure, you're just guessing.

Buy the correct equipment and use known techniques to determine the best COAL for your chamber.

http://youtu.be/u6P3GeLn2BA
http://youtu.be/M92w4YoxbEM

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

Hardcast wrote:As for dropping loaded rounds into a rifle, to check to see if they fit,

NOT ME.

I make up a 'dummy round' for every rifle and every different projectile for that rifle.

Empty case, projectile fitted and crimped.

Use it to set your bullet seating die each time you reload.

I use the loaded case method myself :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mausermate » 14 Oct 2014, 6:04 pm

I hate reloading and I don't know anyone that particularly loves it either.

:cry: that proves it....I'm not normal. Think I'll go and load a few rounds to cheer myself up.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 14 Oct 2014, 9:08 pm

mausermate wrote:
I hate reloading and I don't know anyone that particularly loves it either.

:cry: that proves it....I'm not normal. Think I'll go and load a few rounds to cheer myself up.

I agree with you, I just loaded 350 rounds for this weekend, a great match coming up in Drouin, yes it's on the map, I just need to find it, for 2 days at least.
Reloading is fun, if it does not fire first time, guess whom one has to blame. :)
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Farmjer » 15 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm

Hardcast wrote:Empty case, projectile fitted and crimped.

Use it to set your bullet seating die each time you reload.

I've just done this for mine.

Real time saver for the seating depth settings, should have done it ages ago.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 15 Oct 2014, 3:07 pm

Chronos wrote:
What I think is missing is without the bolt there is no reference for case length. Your case could be touching the shoulder of the chamber and your bullet could be .120" from the lands or it could be sitting on the lands holding the case. .080" off the shoulder. There's no way to be sure, you're just guessing.

Buy the correct equipment and use known techniques to determine the best COAL for your chamber.

http://youtu.be/u6P3GeLn2BA
http://youtu.be/M92w4YoxbEM

Chronos

Exactly , but I thought I was wasting my breath .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 15 Oct 2014, 8:20 pm

Warrigul wrote:I don't wish to put you off and I don't want to sound patronising. I can see what you are trying to achieve, and the intent is honorable, but in some ways you are generalising a little too much for a beginner and then making assumptions about prior knowledge. Most people new to the sport come into contact with the reloading bug but to be honest they would be better off buying one of the many reloading manuals and following it verbatim rather than trying to use a forum.

The best way to learn is at someone elses bench, I was very lucky in having a very experienced club member teach me the basics and then mentor me as I went along. Most will rely on others and literature. EVERYONE will make some mistakes and hopefully learn more as they go along.

I think kindly, experienced mentors, such as yourself, and good quality manuals are the best place for a new reloader to start. Forums will often solve specific problems and that is their forte.

Any forum needs input and I did enjoy your pistol article.

Just my humble opinions.

x 2 Warrigal
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition