Hodgdon Lil' gun powder

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Hodgdon Lil' gun powder

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm

Sold some couple of months ago. Found it and realised I had no use for it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 11 Jun 2022, 6:45 pm

Your killing us BLLR243 :D actually it would have been great in your 357 mate gets about the highest energies out there.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2022, 7:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sold some couple of months ago. Found it and realised I had no use for it.

:o :cry: :cry: :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

mickb wrote:Your killing us BLLR243 :D actually it would have been great in your 357 mate gets about the highest energies out there.

i want it for my hornet , but it worked great for me in my 357 marlin. great accuracy and 1835fps with 158 xtp's with no preasure signs :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 10:49 am

I reckon Hodgdon Lil Gun was just Winchester 296 ball powder .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 12 Jun 2022, 12:00 pm

JohnV wrote:I reckon Hodgdon Lil Gun was just Winchester 296 ball powder .

H110 is win 296, Lilgun is a different powder, All similar category for burn rates though
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jun 2022, 12:33 pm

Yes my stuff up. Sold it without realising its potential in my 357. Sold it couple of months prior to getting my Rossi 357
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 13 Jun 2022, 10:22 pm

mickb wrote:

H110 is win 296, Lilgun is a different powder, All similar category for burn rates though

Hodgdon Lil Gun was a ball powder and very few companies make ball powders .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jun 2022, 1:14 am

I have found in 300 Blackout and 357 Magnum that H110/W296 works better with lighter bullets and being pushed to the max. Anything less and it can be fussy and inconsistent.

Lil Gun I have found to be more forgiving and seems to work better with mid to heavier bullets.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 14 Jun 2022, 9:28 am

wanneroo wrote:I have found in 300 Blackout and 357 Magnum that H110/W296 works better with lighter bullets and being pushed to the max. Anything less and it can be fussy and inconsistent.

Lil Gun I have found to be more forgiving and seems to work better with mid to heavier bullets.

That could just be an idiosyncrasy of your guns specs ammo included . As soon as you go to a heavier bullet you change the potential chamber pressures (
( force needed to move the bullet ) so the pressure curve is changed compared to what happens with a lighter bullet and you usually use a lesser powder load than with lighter bullets . So the phenomenon can happen using exactly the same powder in each case and those effects can also change from one gun to another and you can't compare different cartridges . Hodgdon never ever made any powder . He started in a caravan in a big paddock surrounded by drums of powder he bought from the manufacturers at wholesale prices . If Hodgdon was rebranding a ball powder in those days it's odds on it was Winchester powder .
We tend to think that the things that we experience in our equipment is the norm for everyone and that is just not the case . For an example a guy at my range has a 243 that is having extraction problems from pressure a full 4 grains under my load with no problems with the same powder .
I suspect it was a combination of things working together like, small case volume , tight chamber specs , tight bore , dirty fouled bore , hard projectiles .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jun 2022, 11:56 am

JohnV wrote:
wanneroo wrote:I have found in 300 Blackout and 357 Magnum that H110/W296 works better with lighter bullets and being pushed to the max. Anything less and it can be fussy and inconsistent.

That could just be an idiosyncrasy of your guns specs ammo included . As soon as you go to a heavier bullet you change the potential chamber pressures (
( force needed to move the bullet ) so the pressure curve is changed compared to what happens with a lighter bullet and you usually use a lesser powder load than with lighter bullets . So the phenomenon can happen using exactly the same powder in each case and those effects can also change from one gun to another and you can't compare different cartridges . Hodgdon never ever made any powder . He started in a caravan in a big paddock surrounded by drums of powder he bought from the manufacturers at wholesale prices . If Hodgdon was rebranding a ball powder in those days it's odds on it was Winchester powder .
We tend to think that the things that we experience in our equipment is the norm for everyone and that is just not the case . For an example a guy at my range has a 243 that is having extraction problems from pressure a full 4 grains under my load with no problems with the same powder .
I suspect it was a combination of things working together like, small case volume , tight chamber specs , tight bore , dirty fouled bore , hard projectiles .

Could be, but that's what I have found across the board and it's replicated itself in multiple guns. As a result like with 300 Blackout, if a bullet is beyond 125g, I don't even bother using or trying H110/W296 anymore, I use Lil Gun.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by northdude » 14 Jun 2022, 2:49 pm

Ive found lil gun and 296 works well in my hornets 12.5gr lil gun seems to be the number all 3 of them seem to like
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm

JohnV wrote:
mickb wrote:

Hodgdon Lil Gun was a ball powder and very few companies make ball powders .

Correct, but it still isnt H110/win 296. Different powder, slightly faster burning, different load data for all calibres.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition