Hodgdon Lil' gun powder

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Hodgdon Lil' gun powder

Post by Westy » 25 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Westy,

If you bring me 400 rounds of 30-30win to Vic from bargain basement Qld, I can get you ample Lilgun down here :D

Damn transport costs s**t me. From Radelaide to here $15 - $20. From Qld to here, $160 minimum.

Just warming up the G.P.S :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by huccl » 26 Nov 2014, 7:45 am

KWhorenet wrote:Damn transport costs s**t me. From Radelaide to here $15 - $20. From Qld to here, $160 minimum.

The extra $140 from QLD is some QLD safety handling fee is it?
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

Huccl,

I've had two retailers from Qld quote me very similar prohibitive prices. Haven't looked into the policy/facts behind it. 1 packet or 5kg of ammo, same price.

Something close to the $10 shipping for 400 rounds of 30-30 ammo I was quoted from NSW would make the Qld ammo price worth it to me.
Last edited by KWhorenet on 26 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Wes » 26 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

About the above to post... I think here in VIC if you ship 'dangerous goods' there is a declaration thing you have to do which costs about $90 or something.

The paperwork costs the same whether you send a tub or 10 so you'd have to buy bulk for it to be anywhere near worthwhile.

Probably something similar up north.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

Edit to my original post, it was a NSW supplier that offers cheap shipping. Google the product and you will find the distributor.

Your shopping cart
Product: Federal 30-30 Win, 150gr, Soft Point Power Shoks - 200rds $240.00
Sub-Total 2 units $480.00

Choose Shipping Option: Ammo Freight 0-5kg $15.00 Nationwide Courier Delivery $10.00
$10.00

Total $490.00

Qld to Victoria may be double the distance but ammo shipping is 16 times the price than from NSW.
I wonder why ??
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 01 Feb 2016, 7:02 pm

Bump....

I have never seen Lil'gun in Tas. Can anyone point me to where i can get some. Would be good for a future/ongoing project.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Feb 2016, 4:50 pm

Gwion wrote:Bump....

I have never seen Lil'gun in Tas. Can anyone point me to where i can get some. Would be good for a future/ongoing project.

Hi Gwion,
I do not know where you are in Tas but I have not found any in the north. I too would like to give it a run in my hornet cases just to have a go.
Pretty much everything I run uses 2205 which is easy to get. If I do find some I would be happy to split a tin.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 04 Feb 2016, 7:09 am

Cheers Bill. I'll let you know if i find any. I'm also in the north of the state. I'll be in Hobart next week, so i might do a run around. Failing that, i might see if one of the dealers will put a couple of tubs on order for the next powder shipment (god knows when that will be).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SendIt » 08 Feb 2016, 9:28 am

Gwion wrote:Failing that, i might see if one of the dealers will put a couple of tubs on order for the next powder shipment (god knows when that will be).

Throw a dart at a calendar. Will be just as accurate as what a dealer will tell you :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2022, 2:39 pm

reviving a old topic. anyone in the brisbane region got any lil gun they want rid of ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Billo » 11 Jun 2022, 5:18 pm

Just grab some Power Pro 300 MP does a slightly better job than little gun
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 11 Jun 2022, 6:29 pm

bigrich wrote:reviving a old topic. anyone in the brisbane region got any lil gun they want rid of ?

And if there is, whatever Bigrich is asking, I'll double it :lol:

Just kidding but yeah thats almost how it is right now. its funny reading back to 2014 too when we could still ship the stuff.
Last edited by mickb on 11 Jun 2022, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm

Sold some couple of months ago. Found it and realised I had no use for it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 11 Jun 2022, 6:45 pm

Your killing us BLLR243 :D actually it would have been great in your 357 mate gets about the highest energies out there.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2022, 7:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sold some couple of months ago. Found it and realised I had no use for it.

:o :cry: :cry: :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

mickb wrote:Your killing us BLLR243 :D actually it would have been great in your 357 mate gets about the highest energies out there.

i want it for my hornet , but it worked great for me in my 357 marlin. great accuracy and 1835fps with 158 xtp's with no preasure signs :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 10:49 am

I reckon Hodgdon Lil Gun was just Winchester 296 ball powder .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 12 Jun 2022, 12:00 pm

JohnV wrote:I reckon Hodgdon Lil Gun was just Winchester 296 ball powder .

H110 is win 296, Lilgun is a different powder, All similar category for burn rates though
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jun 2022, 12:33 pm

Yes my stuff up. Sold it without realising its potential in my 357. Sold it couple of months prior to getting my Rossi 357
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 13 Jun 2022, 10:22 pm

mickb wrote:

H110 is win 296, Lilgun is a different powder, All similar category for burn rates though

Hodgdon Lil Gun was a ball powder and very few companies make ball powders .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jun 2022, 1:14 am

I have found in 300 Blackout and 357 Magnum that H110/W296 works better with lighter bullets and being pushed to the max. Anything less and it can be fussy and inconsistent.

Lil Gun I have found to be more forgiving and seems to work better with mid to heavier bullets.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 14 Jun 2022, 9:28 am

wanneroo wrote:I have found in 300 Blackout and 357 Magnum that H110/W296 works better with lighter bullets and being pushed to the max. Anything less and it can be fussy and inconsistent.

Lil Gun I have found to be more forgiving and seems to work better with mid to heavier bullets.

That could just be an idiosyncrasy of your guns specs ammo included . As soon as you go to a heavier bullet you change the potential chamber pressures (
( force needed to move the bullet ) so the pressure curve is changed compared to what happens with a lighter bullet and you usually use a lesser powder load than with lighter bullets . So the phenomenon can happen using exactly the same powder in each case and those effects can also change from one gun to another and you can't compare different cartridges . Hodgdon never ever made any powder . He started in a caravan in a big paddock surrounded by drums of powder he bought from the manufacturers at wholesale prices . If Hodgdon was rebranding a ball powder in those days it's odds on it was Winchester powder .
We tend to think that the things that we experience in our equipment is the norm for everyone and that is just not the case . For an example a guy at my range has a 243 that is having extraction problems from pressure a full 4 grains under my load with no problems with the same powder .
I suspect it was a combination of things working together like, small case volume , tight chamber specs , tight bore , dirty fouled bore , hard projectiles .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jun 2022, 11:56 am

JohnV wrote:
wanneroo wrote:I have found in 300 Blackout and 357 Magnum that H110/W296 works better with lighter bullets and being pushed to the max. Anything less and it can be fussy and inconsistent.

That could just be an idiosyncrasy of your guns specs ammo included . As soon as you go to a heavier bullet you change the potential chamber pressures (
( force needed to move the bullet ) so the pressure curve is changed compared to what happens with a lighter bullet and you usually use a lesser powder load than with lighter bullets . So the phenomenon can happen using exactly the same powder in each case and those effects can also change from one gun to another and you can't compare different cartridges . Hodgdon never ever made any powder . He started in a caravan in a big paddock surrounded by drums of powder he bought from the manufacturers at wholesale prices . If Hodgdon was rebranding a ball powder in those days it's odds on it was Winchester powder .
We tend to think that the things that we experience in our equipment is the norm for everyone and that is just not the case . For an example a guy at my range has a 243 that is having extraction problems from pressure a full 4 grains under my load with no problems with the same powder .
I suspect it was a combination of things working together like, small case volume , tight chamber specs , tight bore , dirty fouled bore , hard projectiles .

Could be, but that's what I have found across the board and it's replicated itself in multiple guns. As a result like with 300 Blackout, if a bullet is beyond 125g, I don't even bother using or trying H110/W296 anymore, I use Lil Gun.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by northdude » 14 Jun 2022, 2:49 pm

Ive found lil gun and 296 works well in my hornets 12.5gr lil gun seems to be the number all 3 of them seem to like
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm

JohnV wrote:
mickb wrote:

Hodgdon Lil Gun was a ball powder and very few companies make ball powders .

Correct, but it still isnt H110/win 296. Different powder, slightly faster burning, different load data for all calibres.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition