How to reload - Make your own ammunition

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: How to reload - Make your own ammunition

Post by Westy » 11 Nov 2014, 7:10 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This isn't what I asked for I'm wanting pictures of the groups your awesome press is producing that's all!!!! Pictures or it didn't happen as they say!!!! LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Nov 2014, 7:23 am

Timb0 wrote:I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but I have to ask out of my own curiosity. Don't Dillion progressive loaders rely on a powder thrower to meter the powder into the case? If so, I must say I have never had much luck with mechanical throwers consistently metering out the same charge weight. Depending on the powder it can be quiet a difference between each charge.
I weigh each charge even for hunting ammo...... Maybe I'm doing something wrong? but that's my take on it.

No you are pretty much on the right track, with rifles I am legendary for my sloppy reloading(it is a chore for me) but even I individually measure each charge when I am serious.

CAVOK is a pistol shooter mainly I would reckon going by his posts, there is a world of difference between a precision rifle round and a pistol round that is thrown in the general direction of an ipsc target.

I shoot metal silhouette and standard centerfire pistol, for these disciplines I individually weigh every charge in my .357 and .32. For me it is worth one or two targets in a round or an extra 20 or so points. I use a progressive for bulk amounts of relatively accurate ammunition through my .38 or .45 but not for the precise stuff.

Having used all types I would say a single stage(in line if you are ultra precise) press is the best option for a rifle shooter who loads less than 5000 rounds a year(the number is variable).

Less than a couple of hundred a year and you may be better off buying factory ammo.

Just my humble opinions.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Point223 » 11 Nov 2014, 8:44 am

No two people ever argued and ended up agreeing, ever.

For someone who has never done this before, I'm plenty confused now. LOL!

Would help if you spell out your suggestion/recommendation in a way that lists the manufacturer, name of machine, why is it good for a beginner, etc.

Thanks,
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 12 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

Point223 wrote:Thanks everyone. Supporter I think your input has been the most constructive.

Glad to be of help mate.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by agentzero » 12 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

Westy wrote:Words fail me but I will keep posting here if the rest of the crew will have me?

Votes are pending :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by howtow » 12 Nov 2014, 10:52 am

Point223 wrote:No two people ever argued and ended up agreeing, ever.

Welcome to the internet :|
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 12 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

I found a mate who has a press and powder, casings, primers, bullets, etc... He asked me to get my own set of dies for .308

The next question is are all dies compatible with all presses? like is there a standard they all meet as far as width, length?
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

Most dies and presses are interchangeable. You may also need a shellholder unless he loads for a .243 or some other cartridge with the same size head.

A simple set of LEE dies for under $40 would do.

Occaisonally you will come acrosss an old simplex press in 5/8" but they are uncommon. Would pay to ask him.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Arth » 13 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

Point223 wrote:The next question is are all dies compatible with all presses? like is there a standard they all meet as far as width, length?

Mostly, yep.

What press does he have and someone can tell you exactly.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

Now where back on track can you please post a picture here??? Would like to help
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition