How to reload - Make your own ammunition

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: How to reload - Make your own ammunition

Post by Octane » 07 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm

I think my point remains valid.

Suggestions made before questions asked, quoting the rest of the post doesn't change that.

Anyhoo, moving along...
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 07 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

I just don't shoot enough to justify the cost for setting up reloading. I never go to a range and am not in the SSAA. Occasionally I'll shoot paper, a bit of A4 with a dot in the middle. But do it out in the local State Forest to make sure the scope is zeroed and I'm shooting straight. This only takes 2 or 3 shots.

But each to their own I suppose…I just get bored shooting paper.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cavok » 07 Nov 2014, 4:07 pm

Guess I agree with you, that's why IPSC runs rifle and shotgun events, that means no standing, move and shoot, high degree of skills required. Also a rifle and or sometimes a shotgun.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 09 Nov 2014, 6:49 am

North East wrote:I just don't shoot enough to justify the cost for setting up reloading. I never go to a range and am not in the SSAA. Occasionally I'll shoot paper, a bit of A4 with a dot in the middle. But do it out in the local State Forest to make sure the scope is zeroed and I'm shooting straight. This only takes 2 or 3 shots.

But each to their own I suppose…I just get bored shooting paper.

Sounds much the same as me. These days I make a trip to the centrefire 2 or 3 times a year max and it's more often to take friends shooting than go for myself. I head to the local 22 range 5 minutes away still but can't be assed putting a whole day aside for CF.

The kits pay for themselves eventually of course. Took me about 18 months or something I guess to fire the cost worth of the gear, not it's just a little saving on ammo for how much I shoot.

Passes a night with reloading too :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Point223 » 10 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

Supporter wrote:Point223,

You definitely don't need a $700 progressive press as a starter (or at all).

A progressive press lets your reload faster, that's it. Not worth it unless you're shooting a lot. As for comments above, I dunno what singles stage presses being "very old fashion" is supposed to mean... They're perfectly fine. Thousands upon thousands of shooters using them every day and they getting the job done no problems at all.

Something like the RCBS Rock Chucker kit is $600 in any shop and comes with everything you need except dies.

rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-kit.jpg

Plus $70 or something for a set of dies.

And there are cheap kits than that too. The Lyman and I think Hornady kits are less. Don't know off the top of my head exactly.

Thanks everyone. Supporter I think your input has been the most constructive.

I will not be shooting a whole lot. Probably once every two months at the local range. I just needs enough to keep me away from giving out my address whenever i'm buying ammo.

I will need to visit a gun shop selling these to learn more about them.
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Nov 2014, 7:48 pm

What your not going to get a Dillion 1050 to start out with???? You could make much better rounds with the rockchucker and tune your gun to a load much better with a single stage press than any full auto load of crap 223!! I take it you want it for a "223" and other centre fire rifles Point??? Dillion great for inaccurate hand gun loads but not good for rifle loads in my honest opinion, to much going on to get good loads for good groups. Simple second hand kit will work fine if you can find a good one at a reasonable price!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

Westy wrote:What your not going to get a Dillion 1050 to start out with???? You could make much better rounds with the rockchucker and tune your gun to a load much better with a single stage press than any full auto load of crap 223!! I take it you want it for a "223" and other centre fire rifles Point??? Dillion great for inaccurate hand gun loads but not good for rifle loads in my honest opinion, to much going on to get good loads for good groups. Simple second hand kit will work fine if you can find a good one at a reasonable price!!!!

Bite, bite, WRONG.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 10 Nov 2014, 8:39 pm

No, Westy is 100% correct.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 8:46 pm

I did highlight this.
He wrote " Dillion great for inaccurate hand gun loads but not good for rifle loads in my honest opinion". He has no opinion, no fish here.
That's the part he and you got wrong.
Keep writing what you will, I will respond to polite posts, politely, as most of what you both write is, dare I say politely, "inaccurate looking to see how stupid the other party is". Don't like being called a liar, or troll, but keep posting.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 10 Nov 2014, 8:59 pm

Words fail me but I will keep posting here if the rest of the crew will have me???? Dare I say it I don't like the inference that I'm am Stupid , please post some groups so we can see how well a dillion press can produce accurate loads. Serious I would love to be shown how wrong I've got it here???? This isn't sarcasm it's pure honesty>>>Looking forward to seeing some Pictures as I've found them to be very inaccurate for target loads???

Cheers Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Timb0 » 10 Nov 2014, 9:16 pm

I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but I have to ask out of my own curiosity. Don't Dillion progressive loaders rely on a powder thrower to meter the powder into the case? If so, I must say I have never had much luck with mechanical throwers consistently metering out the same charge weight. Depending on the powder it can be quiet a difference between each charge.
I weigh each charge even for hunting ammo...... Maybe I'm doing something wrong? but that's my take on it.
Last edited by Timb0 on 10 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

Dillon presses do measure exact amounts in any powder fine grain of flake like As30 for shotguns extremely accurately. They in the 650 model or 1050 from memory load around 600 - 800 rounds per hour, each exactly the same. I cannot find a shooter in Australia who load that amount of rounds per week who would not be using a Dillon press, but who knows. I have a Dillon, I have owned two lee presses in the past, lee 1000 also great . Progressive press make loading simple, safe and fast, with the SAME powder charge as exact as you may want. Also I made NO reference to anyone here being stupid, must be some sort of complex. Somewhere a person wrote, I'm unsure who or when. "I am responsible for what I write, I am not responsible for how it is understood". Hence progressive presses, Dillon, Lee take your pick, Lee are a little more my liking, easier, cost less, but I own a Dillon now, 2nd one for me, first one wore out, providing great loads in 4 calibres.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 11 Nov 2014, 7:10 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This isn't what I asked for I'm wanting pictures of the groups your awesome press is producing that's all!!!! Pictures or it didn't happen as they say!!!! LOL
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Nov 2014, 7:23 am

Timb0 wrote:I'm not trying to get into an argument here, but I have to ask out of my own curiosity. Don't Dillion progressive loaders rely on a powder thrower to meter the powder into the case? If so, I must say I have never had much luck with mechanical throwers consistently metering out the same charge weight. Depending on the powder it can be quiet a difference between each charge.
I weigh each charge even for hunting ammo...... Maybe I'm doing something wrong? but that's my take on it.

No you are pretty much on the right track, with rifles I am legendary for my sloppy reloading(it is a chore for me) but even I individually measure each charge when I am serious.

CAVOK is a pistol shooter mainly I would reckon going by his posts, there is a world of difference between a precision rifle round and a pistol round that is thrown in the general direction of an ipsc target.

I shoot metal silhouette and standard centerfire pistol, for these disciplines I individually weigh every charge in my .357 and .32. For me it is worth one or two targets in a round or an extra 20 or so points. I use a progressive for bulk amounts of relatively accurate ammunition through my .38 or .45 but not for the precise stuff.

Having used all types I would say a single stage(in line if you are ultra precise) press is the best option for a rifle shooter who loads less than 5000 rounds a year(the number is variable).

Less than a couple of hundred a year and you may be better off buying factory ammo.

Just my humble opinions.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Point223 » 11 Nov 2014, 8:44 am

No two people ever argued and ended up agreeing, ever.

For someone who has never done this before, I'm plenty confused now. LOL!

Would help if you spell out your suggestion/recommendation in a way that lists the manufacturer, name of machine, why is it good for a beginner, etc.

Thanks,
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 12 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

Point223 wrote:Thanks everyone. Supporter I think your input has been the most constructive.

Glad to be of help mate.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by agentzero » 12 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

Westy wrote:Words fail me but I will keep posting here if the rest of the crew will have me?

Votes are pending :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by howtow » 12 Nov 2014, 10:52 am

Point223 wrote:No two people ever argued and ended up agreeing, ever.

Welcome to the internet :|
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 12 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

I found a mate who has a press and powder, casings, primers, bullets, etc... He asked me to get my own set of dies for .308

The next question is are all dies compatible with all presses? like is there a standard they all meet as far as width, length?
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

Most dies and presses are interchangeable. You may also need a shellholder unless he loads for a .243 or some other cartridge with the same size head.

A simple set of LEE dies for under $40 would do.

Occaisonally you will come acrosss an old simplex press in 5/8" but they are uncommon. Would pay to ask him.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Arth » 13 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

Point223 wrote:The next question is are all dies compatible with all presses? like is there a standard they all meet as far as width, length?

Mostly, yep.

What press does he have and someone can tell you exactly.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

Now where back on track can you please post a picture here??? Would like to help
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition