Sorting through used brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Sorting through used brass

Post by cavok » 07 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

Loaded up some rounds for a weekend shoot and prior to loading I examine the cases to ensure they are safe to reload, no cracks or splits. I have several thousand so I rotate my cases, and sort them into calibres etc. Never know what you are about to find. Being safe in reload is a must, as is the care of cases and sorting. Some of my .45, .40 and 9mm cases get old and have been reloaded, some over 40 times, some heaps more. These 3 I hope are of interest.

P1040128.JPG
Interesting marking. Any thoughts?
P1040128.JPG (490.84 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

P1040291.JPG
P1040291.JPG (700.75 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

P1040299.JPG
Inside at the base there is much more thickness than usual, never heard of the brand before.
P1040299.JPG (469.62 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Sorting through used brass

Post by Jack V » 07 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Top one looks like it may have been a drill round originally .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 07 Nov 2014, 4:08 pm

Jack V wrote:Top one looks like it may have been a drill round originally .

No, its mine fired a month ago. Pristine when it was loaded.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 09 Nov 2014, 11:47 pm

No 1 fired in a H&K fluted chamber ? No 3 looks like a practice case for use with a plastic proj [ seats against the shoulder ]

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 7:37 am

bunnybuster wrote:No 1 fired in a H&K fluted chamber ? No 3 looks like a practice case for use with a plastic proj [ seats against the shoulder ]

Be Safe BB

No 1 is not fired through a H&K, opposite side of the globe.
Still think number 2 is great, get at least 1 more reload out of it. :lol:
No 3, after finding it in my used brass, I then began looking more closely, I have used heaps and never realised it.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by kurl » 10 Nov 2014, 10:13 am

cavok wrote:Some of my .45, .40 and 9mm cases get old and have been reloaded, some over 40 times, some heaps more.

Sorry to go off topic, how many reloads can you usually get out of pistol brass? A lot more than rifle obviously?
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 10 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

Much higher pressures inside your average rifle cartridge, so yes, shorter life.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tucked » 10 Nov 2014, 10:16 am

Inside at the base there is much more thickness than usual, never heard of the brand before.

To stop head separation or something?
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 10:23 am

kurl wrote:Sorry to go off topic, how many reloads can you usually get out of pistol brass? A lot more than rifle obviously?

When I purchased my 9mm and began shooting this in major power factor, 1350f/sec I thought maybe 10 reloads. I set aside 50 cases and have now reloaded them 40/45 times and only had 1 case split and become unusable.

Normally .45 with recommended load they go for years as does .40 cal and .357 sig.

.38 super I shot for ten years in major power factor over 1300f/sec still usable after 100 reloads, I say that without knowing the exact number, but I had some very old brass. ALWAYS before reloading check for splits, if no splits reload.

NOTE most people shoot 9mm in minor load around 1100f/sec. Mine reloaded heaps of times, every now and again one splits badly, or slight splits appear less than 2mm long, I still reload them as its practice rounds.

.38 special you can reload forever, as with other cases, just check before reloading.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 10 Nov 2014, 10:28 am

tucked wrote:To stop head separation or something?

As I posted I now went through my brass and found heaps of them as I buy once fired from someone who purchases them from America. When I found the first one as the picture shows I Goggled the brand name and Bingo, yes they are on the market. The brand is Ammoload, yes you can buy them, I found them no different to load and shoot than any other brand, guess they just manufacture them that way.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tucked » 11 Nov 2014, 2:04 pm

cavok wrote:guess they just manufacture them that way.

Fair enough. Probably makes part of the process cheaper or easier I guess.
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition