How to clean reloading dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: How to clean reloading dies

Post by Chronos » 11 Nov 2014, 7:52 pm

cavok wrote:NOT being and expert, amateur at best, a person reloading even with CARBIDE dies will find by applying a very slight amount of oil, I use olive oil, to my cases. I apply the olive oil on my fingers on the first 50/100 and then every 50/100. A person doing this on the case will find that the pressure on the handle is significantly reduced, the oil dries and is not a problem. Makes loading that much more easy an never an issue. IT works with all cases, RIFLE or any pistol rounds.

the oil dries? where does it go? does it just evaporate into the air or what?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 11 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

As "matter can neither be created or destroyed" the oil obviously, the very slight amount of oil once it has been through the press, each case must have a minuet amount of oil on it, remains on each case or some cases, it dries and is possibly vaporised (turns to vapour gas) when it is fired in the firearm. Actually I have no idea what happens to the oil, however after following this procedure for over 10 +++ years, and knowing many others do likewise, It appears to not impair the flow of ammunition through the firearm.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 12 Nov 2014, 9:33 am

Chronos wrote:the oil dries? where does it go? does it just evaporate into the air or what?

Just on the food oils in general here, not shooting, but you can dehydrate olive oil and others.

Turns into a firmer, denser paste the more you do. Ends up kind of like crushed garlic as far as texture goes.

I can only imagine you must end up with a minute layer of this paste dispersed across the dies, brass and fingers.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by cavok » 12 Nov 2014, 1:59 pm

Not sure you can imagine where the minute layer ends up, but if using iron dies they are lubricated to make reloading easier, what happens to the product used then?

As I said in my post, I HAVE not experienced any issues when using the reloaded ammunition, nor has anyone I know. YOU try reloading a very little oil on your fingers when you pick up a case, make loading so much easier, then repeat oil on fingers every 50 or 100 rounds, works a charm.

If it did not work I would not do it, if my reloads failed in competition I would not do it. Sometimes we live and learn.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 12 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

A warning for those new to reloading- it is unsafe to use oily rifle ammunition. Wipe all oil off before using.

I cannot stress this too strongly and I am sure others on here would agree.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hinky » 12 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

cavok wrote:Not sure you can imagine where the minute layer ends up, but if using iron dies they are lubricated to make reloading easier, what happens to the product used then?

Same thing as I said above?

"I can only imagine you must end up with a minute layer of this paste dispersed across the dies, brass and fingers."

I was talking to Chronos about olive oil, not knocking your method.

Be less defensive.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 12 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm

Hinky wrote:
Chronos wrote:the oil dries? where does it go? does it just evaporate into the air or what?

Just on the food oils in general here, not shooting, but you can dehydrate olive oil and others.

Turns into a firmer, denser paste the more you do. Ends up kind of like crushed garlic as far as texture goes.

I can only imagine you must end up with a minute layer of this paste dispersed across the dies, brass and fingers.

Yeah thanks hinky, I'm aware that part of most volatile oils will evaporate but when I read " the oil dries" that leaves a picture in my head that you now have a thick, greasy sludge somewhere, either in the sizing die if her " fancy" Dillon dies or in cylinder of here revolver

I am careful not to put any case remotely near my powder charge let alone in my firearm if I suspect it may have any oil or case lube in it. The reason can be as simple as the powder can stick in the neck when charging the case but could be as dangerous as putting an oiled case into the chamber and firing it.

I use Redding one shot on my rifle cases and even though it says it will not contaminate powder I always wash cases in shellite before priming and charging.

Any grease, oil or hi tech maces lube can build up inside parts of equipment. Often it will accumulate dust or carbon and will eventually require cleaning which I believe is what the OP asked

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 12 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

Not making myself clear here, I give up. As the above post states, "lube can build up" NOT on my press, I think I said a very little olive oil on my finger, repat every 50 or 100 cases, a little.

THIS whole post initially was about how to clean gunk out of reloading dies, I think in my first post on this topic I said my dies were spotless after 50,000 rounds. My oil must be different to other oil. "Oils ain't oils."

No, I don't then clean my rounds of any access oil prior to using them because there is none visible to the naked eye, as I only use a little to make reloading easier.

PS, I do not advocate using oily ammunition as stated above.

A warning for those new to reloading- it is unsafe to use oily rifle ammunition. Wipe all oil off before using.

I cannot stress this too strongly and I am sure others on here would agree.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 12 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

cavok wrote:
THIS whole post initially was about how to clean gunk out of reloading dies, I think in my first post on this topic I said my dies were spotless after 50,000 rounds.

So you have nothing to offer the OP and yet you're still posting here :shock: Akward?

Chronos

Every time I go shooting I get a craving for Bruschetta. :lol:
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

I might throw mine in the USC one day if I can be bothered.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 12 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

Cavok,

Ahhhh So now I understand what your doing that's a great idea,you cook them up with a little olive oil??/ Now that's a great idea must get down the shed and fire up the press,see if I can knock out a couple of hundred tonight. Do you put anything else with that oil is extra Virgin oliveoil better??? Thanks again that's clearing things up for me now!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 12 Nov 2014, 8:37 pm

So pleased you understand, makes life so much simpler. PS, I made no mention as to Extra Virgin Olive Oil, that's extra. Lol. Couple of hundred, no worries, bring more oil, clears the air a bit.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 7:05 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Lieutenant your words are like honey to my tired soul!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 13 Nov 2014, 7:58 am

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Lieutenant your words are like honey to my tired soul!!!!!!

Queensland must be a lonely place, isolated from the rest of humanity, only some few southerners to annoy to brighten up your day. Keep going, it's early morning, you can get a few more posts in before the men in white coats arrive. :lol:
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2014, 11:32 am

You can probably let it go now fella's - all this is doing is making you two look stupid, enough's enough surely, clearly you both don't enjoy reading what each other had to post so perhaps learn to ignore each other instead of this silly carry on that's been going on?

Lifes to short to be wasting it on this sort of thing, just something to think about.

cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by cavok » 13 Nov 2014, 1:31 pm

Thanks for that done. Was not sure anyone else was reading the junk I posted, at times.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2014, 1:52 pm

cavok wrote:Thanks for that done. Was not sure anyone else was reading the junk I posted, at times.

Good man, as I said just ignore each others comments if what they say annoys you that much, much easier than this back and forth snipes at each other, it doesn't do either of you any good and the forum for that matter, it just makes us look like immature people, we're bigger and better than that surely. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by greyghost » 13 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

cavok wrote:I made no mention as to Extra Virgin Olive Oil, that's extra. Lol.

Ammo tastes better done with the good oil? :lol: :D
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition