How to clean reloading dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

How to clean reloading dies

Post by sha » 09 Nov 2014, 7:09 am

Hi guys,

I've had a set of Redding reloading dies for a while now.

Noticed on the inside of the sizing dies there is brown gunk caked around from the tumbler medium. I pulled out the stems, wiped them off, and swirlied a rolled up tissue inside the die chamber to clear it out.

Is that it? Just wipe them off and use them again?
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: How to clean reloading dies

Post by yoshie » 09 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

I pull them apart and soak them in kerosene for a few day, then clean them out with pipe cleaner and oil them up. You need to remove the bulk of the oil before you use them. I only clean them if I'm not going to use them for a while or they get heaps of build up in them.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Westy » 09 Nov 2014, 8:28 am

I use shellite \ Brake cleaner instead of kerosene same old same old though
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 09 Nov 2014, 8:34 am

My die cleaning regime starts at only putting clean cases in them. The gunk you describe is probably a mixture of case lube, carbon and dust from your tumbling media.

I usually just strip the die, squirt a little shellite in the die and pull a strip of chux cloth with some shellite through. Then I put a clean clutch on a wooden skewer and wipe the due out. With sizing dies I spray a little one shot in the due before reassembly.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 09 Nov 2014, 9:06 pm

Chronos wrote:The gunk you describe is probably a mixture of case lube, carbon and dust from your tumbling media.

+1

I was getting horrible crap build up in mine for a while. Washed my tumbler media and the dies stayed clean for much longer.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 09 Nov 2014, 9:06 pm

Looks like a sink full of clay when you're done their Lorgar.

:lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 11 Nov 2014, 2:07 pm

Cleaning it off after felt about the same I'll tell you. That crap really sticks...

In retrospect it would have been better doing it in a bucket or something disposable like a heavy duty plastic bag.

Live and learn...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cavok » 11 Nov 2014, 2:35 pm

Just had a quick Google to the Redding site, looked at their reloading dies etc, they make dies for pistol and rifle.

Just as a matter of interest, I have had my square deal Dillon press now for about 4-5 years. I load 5 calibres and in that time have only loaded about 50,000 cases. Possibly a lot more as I help out others. Mine is a 4 stage progressive press, the leats expensive of the Dillon range.
NOT ever has there been an issue with the press, it loads about 300-400 rounds an hour, never has it needed cleaning, or other issues.
The resizing die is clean, no gunk, so why the difference in between the one you have and the Dillon. I tumble my brass for around 30 minutes prior to reloading, change my tumbling medium twice a year. Strange you have brown gunk of the dies?
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

cavok wrote:Just had a quick Google to the Redding site, looked at their reloading dies etc, they make dies for pistol and rifle.

Just as a matter of interest, I have had my square deal Dillon press now for about 4-5 years. I load 5 calibres and in that time have only loaded about 50,000 cases. Possibly a lot more as I help out others. Mine is a 4 stage progressive press, the leats expensive of the Dillon range.
NOT ever has there been an issue with the press, it loads about 300-400 rounds an hour, never has it needed cleaning, or other issues.
The resizing die is clean, no gunk, so why the difference in between the one you have and the Dillon. I tumble my brass for around 30 minutes prior to reloading, change my tumbling medium twice a year. Strange you have brown gunk of the dies?

There is a world of difference between the use of a carbide pistol die and a standard rifle die.

But you being an expert on all reloading I am sure you would already know that.....................and will educate the rest of us shortly.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by cavok » 11 Nov 2014, 3:03 pm

SLOW day is it? The original post did not mention he had rifle or pistol dies, hence I posted. Move along, nothing to see here. ALSO if you check Dillon makes carbide dies for .223 and others, I also oil my cases as I de-prime them, makes it easier, smoother, just as lubrication is required for rifle re sizing. Looks like you have a great deal to learn.
Last edited by cavok on 11 Nov 2014, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 11 Nov 2014, 3:11 pm

<Insert massive facepalm image here>

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 11 Nov 2014, 3:19 pm

Looks like I dodged a reloading bullet here!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :ugeek:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 11 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

TO whom it may concern.
Please note: At no time have I ever, nor will I ever claim to be an EXPERT on any topic, I was just attempting to offer information that may be of benefit. :)
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 11 Nov 2014, 3:27 pm

And it goes on................ And on and on
All my dies get filthy I'm a slob and don't prep or clean unless really motivated, usually use Brake clean as mentioned above or if out of, metho in a pump bottle also does it well and much cheaper than most brake cleaner
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 11 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

cavok wrote:SLOW day is it? The original post did not mention he had rifle or pistol dies, hence I posted. Move along, nothing to see here. ALSO if you check Dillon makes carbide dies for .223 and others, I also oil my cases as I de-prime them, makes it easier, smoother, just as lubrication is required for rifle re sizing. Looks like you have a great deal to learn.

Just as I thought, you do realise that carbide dies don't require lubrication wheras the steel rifle dies that 99.9% of the rest of us use do?

Of course I am presuming that your pistol dies are carbide, not all are.

Sorry, reverse trolling in effect.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 11 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

I'm simply Retarded!!!! What's your issue?????
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:And it goes on................ And on and on
All my dies get filthy I'm a slob and don't prep or clean unless really motivated, usually use Brake clean as mentioned above or if out of, metho in a pump bottle also does it well and much cheaper than most brake cleaner

Sorry to go so far off track,

My .303 and .308 dies get a hard time and live in a jar of kero and get blown out by compressed air each time I go to use them. When I am finished I just toss them back in.

Works for me.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by cavok » 11 Nov 2014, 7:34 pm

Warrigul wrote:Just as I thought, you do realise that carbide dies don't require lubrication wheras the steel rifle dies that 99.9% of the rest of us use do?
Of course I am presuming that your pistol dies are carbide, not all are.
Sorry, reverse trolling in effect.

NOT being and expert, amateur at best, a person reloading even with CARBIDE dies will find by applying a very slight amount of oil, I use olive oil, to my cases. I apply the olive oil on my fingers on the first 50/100 and then every 50/100. A person doing this on the case will find that the pressure on the handle is significantly reduced, the oil dries and is not a problem. Makes loading that much more easy an never an issue. IT works with all cases, RIFLE or any pistol rounds.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 11 Nov 2014, 7:52 pm

cavok wrote:NOT being and expert, amateur at best, a person reloading even with CARBIDE dies will find by applying a very slight amount of oil, I use olive oil, to my cases. I apply the olive oil on my fingers on the first 50/100 and then every 50/100. A person doing this on the case will find that the pressure on the handle is significantly reduced, the oil dries and is not a problem. Makes loading that much more easy an never an issue. IT works with all cases, RIFLE or any pistol rounds.

the oil dries? where does it go? does it just evaporate into the air or what?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 11 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

As "matter can neither be created or destroyed" the oil obviously, the very slight amount of oil once it has been through the press, each case must have a minuet amount of oil on it, remains on each case or some cases, it dries and is possibly vaporised (turns to vapour gas) when it is fired in the firearm. Actually I have no idea what happens to the oil, however after following this procedure for over 10 +++ years, and knowing many others do likewise, It appears to not impair the flow of ammunition through the firearm.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 12 Nov 2014, 9:33 am

Chronos wrote:the oil dries? where does it go? does it just evaporate into the air or what?

Just on the food oils in general here, not shooting, but you can dehydrate olive oil and others.

Turns into a firmer, denser paste the more you do. Ends up kind of like crushed garlic as far as texture goes.

I can only imagine you must end up with a minute layer of this paste dispersed across the dies, brass and fingers.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by cavok » 12 Nov 2014, 1:59 pm

Not sure you can imagine where the minute layer ends up, but if using iron dies they are lubricated to make reloading easier, what happens to the product used then?

As I said in my post, I HAVE not experienced any issues when using the reloaded ammunition, nor has anyone I know. YOU try reloading a very little oil on your fingers when you pick up a case, make loading so much easier, then repeat oil on fingers every 50 or 100 rounds, works a charm.

If it did not work I would not do it, if my reloads failed in competition I would not do it. Sometimes we live and learn.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 12 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

A warning for those new to reloading- it is unsafe to use oily rifle ammunition. Wipe all oil off before using.

I cannot stress this too strongly and I am sure others on here would agree.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hinky » 12 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

cavok wrote:Not sure you can imagine where the minute layer ends up, but if using iron dies they are lubricated to make reloading easier, what happens to the product used then?

Same thing as I said above?

"I can only imagine you must end up with a minute layer of this paste dispersed across the dies, brass and fingers."

I was talking to Chronos about olive oil, not knocking your method.

Be less defensive.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 12 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm

Hinky wrote:
Chronos wrote:the oil dries? where does it go? does it just evaporate into the air or what?

Just on the food oils in general here, not shooting, but you can dehydrate olive oil and others.

Turns into a firmer, denser paste the more you do. Ends up kind of like crushed garlic as far as texture goes.

I can only imagine you must end up with a minute layer of this paste dispersed across the dies, brass and fingers.

Yeah thanks hinky, I'm aware that part of most volatile oils will evaporate but when I read " the oil dries" that leaves a picture in my head that you now have a thick, greasy sludge somewhere, either in the sizing die if her " fancy" Dillon dies or in cylinder of here revolver

I am careful not to put any case remotely near my powder charge let alone in my firearm if I suspect it may have any oil or case lube in it. The reason can be as simple as the powder can stick in the neck when charging the case but could be as dangerous as putting an oiled case into the chamber and firing it.

I use Redding one shot on my rifle cases and even though it says it will not contaminate powder I always wash cases in shellite before priming and charging.

Any grease, oil or hi tech maces lube can build up inside parts of equipment. Often it will accumulate dust or carbon and will eventually require cleaning which I believe is what the OP asked

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 12 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

Not making myself clear here, I give up. As the above post states, "lube can build up" NOT on my press, I think I said a very little olive oil on my finger, repat every 50 or 100 cases, a little.

THIS whole post initially was about how to clean gunk out of reloading dies, I think in my first post on this topic I said my dies were spotless after 50,000 rounds. My oil must be different to other oil. "Oils ain't oils."

No, I don't then clean my rounds of any access oil prior to using them because there is none visible to the naked eye, as I only use a little to make reloading easier.

PS, I do not advocate using oily ammunition as stated above.

A warning for those new to reloading- it is unsafe to use oily rifle ammunition. Wipe all oil off before using.

I cannot stress this too strongly and I am sure others on here would agree.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 12 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

cavok wrote:
THIS whole post initially was about how to clean gunk out of reloading dies, I think in my first post on this topic I said my dies were spotless after 50,000 rounds.

So you have nothing to offer the OP and yet you're still posting here :shock: Akward?

Chronos

Every time I go shooting I get a craving for Bruschetta. :lol:
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

I might throw mine in the USC one day if I can be bothered.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 12 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

Cavok,

Ahhhh So now I understand what your doing that's a great idea,you cook them up with a little olive oil??/ Now that's a great idea must get down the shed and fire up the press,see if I can knock out a couple of hundred tonight. Do you put anything else with that oil is extra Virgin oliveoil better??? Thanks again that's clearing things up for me now!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 12 Nov 2014, 8:37 pm

So pleased you understand, makes life so much simpler. PS, I made no mention as to Extra Virgin Olive Oil, that's extra. Lol. Couple of hundred, no worries, bring more oil, clears the air a bit.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition