Carbide reloading dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Carbide reloading dies

Post by wayward » 20 Nov 2014, 10:55 am

You just don't have to lube them?

Is that right?
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Carbide reloading dies

Post by Triang » 15 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm

I'm no expert on this but 99% sure that applies to straight cases only. Pistol cases etc.

You can't replace your necked rifle dies with carbine ones so you don't need to lube them while sizing.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Jack V » 15 Jan 2015, 8:08 pm

It's true you don't have to lube a straight case in a carbide die but that is only because the die will not get damaged . The brass on the other hand will wear out quicker . Keep you brass very clean before sizing . Pistol shooters don't seem to worry too much about case life anyway .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 15 Jan 2015, 8:14 pm

Jack V wrote:It's true you don't have to lube a straight case in a carbide die but that is only because the die will not get damaged . The brass on the other hand will wear out quicker . Keep you brass very clean before sizing . Pistol shooters don't seem to worry too much about case life anyway .

The sheer volume you need to load makes lubing pistol cases impractical, I size in batches of 500 or 1000. Nickel plated cases seem to last better than plain brass in carbide dies.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 15 Jan 2015, 8:28 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Jack V wrote:It's true you don't have to lube a straight case in a carbide die but that is only because the die will not get damaged . The brass on the other hand will wear out quicker . Keep you brass very clean before sizing . Pistol shooters don't seem to worry too much about case life anyway .

The sheer volume you need to load makes lubing pistol cases impractical, I size in batches of 500 or 1000. Nickel plated cases seem to last better than plain brass in carbide dies.

I agree volume is the factor . Nickel is a kind of lube by its self .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by greenonion » 16 Jan 2015, 11:02 am

Jack V wrote:Nickel is a kind of lube by its self .

That's the whole point of the brass isn't it?

It's a bit slippery so you're less likely to have a jam, good for dangerous game hunting to make sure all goes right?
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by wayward » 16 Jan 2015, 11:03 am

Jack V wrote:It's true you don't have to lube a straight case in a carbide die but that is only because the die will not get damaged.

I see.

So they're just a stronger die really?
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Tiiger » 16 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

The material is actually "tungsten carbide" if I recall correctly.

And it's 2 or 3 times harder than steel. Somewhere around that.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 16 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

greenonion wrote:That's the whole point of the brass isn't it?

It's a bit slippery so you're less likely to have a jam, good for dangerous game hunting to make sure all goes right?

Well I'm not sure that was the original reason to nickel plate cases. Maybe a side benefit. I think the original reason was to reduce corrosion as compared to normal bare brass which can get manky in wet hot conditions . You would have to study up on the history of nickel plated cases if it's at all possibly .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 16 Jan 2015, 6:58 pm

wayward wrote:So they're just a stronger die really?

Not stronger really as the die is more brittle but much harder and smoother than tool steel dies so the surface can resist scoring and gauling better.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 18 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

Jack V wrote:Well I'm not sure that was the original reason to nickel plate cases. Maybe a side benefit. I think the original reason was to reduce corrosion as compared to normal bare brass which can get manky in wet hot conditions . You would have to study up on the history of nickel plated cases if it's at all possibly .

I believe you're correct, corrosion was the primary motivation behind developing nickel plated brass.

The "slippery" factor is the more attractive feature for some shooters though. Typical process of invention, invent something you weren't trying to.

Depends on what you want and which marketing spiel you read as to why you buy it :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Reloading ammunition