Crimping .22-250 Remington

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Crimping .22-250 Remington

Post by Jack V » 26 Nov 2014, 10:47 am

So you are saying that no one should bother with correct neck tension as it's a lost cause ? Are you drunk or something ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 26 Nov 2014, 11:01 am

Jack V wrote:So you are saying that no one should bother with correct neck tension as it's a lost cause ? Are you drunk or something ?

Nope, I just can't be bothered as for what I do the minimal improvement isn't worth the time or effort. All I want the neck to do is hold the projectile central, allow me to seat projectiles at +/- .002" optimum depth and have enough tension to stop the projectiles falling out on the mound while I am loading them (it gets embarrassing).

Bang for buck just not worth it in my case, that might change if I start bench resting again but not for what I am doing now. I reckon at least 98% of reloaders would agree(or as a complete guess, only 2% of reloaders would have neck turning and annealing gear and bushing dies aren't on every shelf).

You keep doing what you are doing, nothing wrong with that but don't confuse anal retentiveness with practical necessity.

I only ease some projectiles slightly after six months as I have had some very tight ones in the past.

Cheers from the lazy re-loader.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Mich » 26 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

Warrigul wrote:they definately bond over a period of time

You're not wrong. I've pulled some really old ammo and some of them feel like they're welded in.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Warrigul » 26 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

Mich wrote:
Warrigul wrote:they definately bond over a period of time

You're not wrong. I've pulled some really old ammo and some of them feel like they're welded in.

I was once given some 7.62 x 39 cold war era ammo that was splitting cases and blowing primers, I couldn't pull the projectiles with my press puller I had to drill a 30 cal hole in the bench insert the bullet and wiggle it first to break the grip. Yet I have some MK5 .303 ammo well over 120 years old with a nickel plate projectile that is loose in the neck and the only thing holding it in is the crimp.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 26 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Jack V wrote:So you are saying that no one should bother with correct neck tension as it's a lost cause ? Are you drunk or something ?

Nope, I just can't be bothered as for what I do the minimal improvement isn't worth the time or effort. All I want the neck to do is hold the projectile central, allow me to seat projectiles at +/- .002" optimum depth and have enough tension to stop the projectiles falling out on the mound while I am loading them (it gets embarrassing).

Bang for buck just not worth it in my case, that might change if I start bench resting again but not for what I am doing now. I reckon at least 98% of reloaders would agree(or as a complete guess, only 2% of reloaders would have neck turning and annealing gear and bushing dies aren't on every shelf).

You keep doing what you are doing, nothing wrong with that but don't confuse anal retentiveness with practical necessity.

I only ease some projectiles slightly after six months as I have had some very tight ones in the past.

Cheers from the lazy re-loader.

So now you are saying they have enough neck tension , contradicting yourself ? Do you even know what the term neck tension means ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 26 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

Guys if you want to continue this take it to the PM system instead of taking over Hugo's topic with your debate.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition