Shiney pockets - Improvised primer cleaner

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Shiney pockets - Improvised primer cleaner

Post by sbd3927 » 06 Dec 2014, 11:03 pm

I needed a primer pocket cleaner, as it was missing from the reloader kit I bought last week.

My solution, first 4mm but later sourced some 5mm stainless steel cable. Epoxied into a rimfire case makes one nifty wire brush for rapidly cleaning primer pockets. The 5mm suits large rifle primer perfectly.

primer_pocket_cleaner.jpg
primer_pocket_cleaner.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 3466 times

Few tips if you want to make one... Cutting off a length to suit a rimfire doesn't have enough twist to hold itself together, so glue it in first before cutting next to case (solder might work too).

First I used a tiny dremel grinding disc, next time a super thin 4" grinder cutoff disc (~2mm for sheet steel and stainless). The grinder ran a little hotter so touch,stop,touch, stop kept the heat down.

If getting a cable sample from Bunnings, perhaps you could wrap it with electrical tape before cutting off 30mm using their cable/chain cutter. A nice neat square cut without creating frayed ends is the goal, then it cleans the corners of the primer pocket.

A very fine toothed hacksaw might work well for cutting off too, perhaps holding the cable in a second rimfire and cutting through that case.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Shiney pockets -improvised primer cleaner

Post by tom604 » 07 Dec 2014, 8:28 am

nice and shiny :)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 9:24 am

Well done - nothing like making you own gear.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 07 Dec 2014, 9:59 am

Is stainless harder than case brass?

I guess its done gently by hand anyway but have you found it removes any case material in your trial so far?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sbd3927 » 07 Dec 2014, 2:00 pm

It's far harder, but the bristles are working on the base of the pocket, not really doing much to the sides, so no oversizing concerns. First couple of twists are cleaning visible carbon, then you touch the tarnish which is enough cleaning. More turns make it bright, but once the carbon's gone job's done, doesn't really need to go to the point of being shiney, that just makes a good post title.

Just spun it ten times over some black plastic and there are super fine hair like slivers along with visible lines in the foot of the pocket. But thats pushing well past what qualifies as clean, and you would still need to do a lot to affect a case. I guess hundreds, and no case lasts that long.
Any polishing action, tumblers etc is also removing metal. Stop when you reach the tarnish and its barely touched the metal.

I guess you could use large diameter copper wire for a softer brush, but heavy gauge usually has fairly thick wires. Solder would work well though, so you could build up enough fine wire to fill a 22 casing, the rimfire internal diameter is a nice match for a primer pocket. 0.21" OD on a spent primer
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by stevy » 09 Dec 2014, 6:24 am

sbd3927 wrote:My solution, first 4mm but later sourced some 5mm stainless steel cable. Epoxied into a rimfire case makes one nifty wire brush for rapidly cleaning primer pockets.

Before I read the description I couldn't work out what the hell you were trying to do with the pictures there.

I thought - Yeah those aren't going to fire cable bullets :lol:

Good solution though :)
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by hiyoh » 09 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

Do you use the standard Dremel cutting disc?

Or the more expensive ceramic ones?
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 09 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm

Clever idea mate.

Kudos
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Korkt » 09 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Yeah, I like it.

I have an old bike security cable destined for this now I think :mrgreen:
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Shiney pockets - Improvised primer cleaner

Post by sbd3927 » 09 Dec 2014, 10:56 pm

The dremel cutoff disc was just one of the little red grinding type, the ultra thin in the 5" wasn't as safety inspiring and I had to watch the heat. Alternatively try the hacksaw with fine blade, would have to watch out for fraying the cable too much, perhaps cut with blade backwards.

@Stevy Hehe, 22 cable bullets, homemade shotshells :) Would be a great way to trash the rifling too :D
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 10 Dec 2014, 2:56 pm

sbd3927 wrote:The dremel cutoff disc was just one of the little red grinding type, the ultra thin in the 5" wasn't as safety inspiring and I had to watch the heat.

FYI for your next project check out the 1-1/4" fibreglass reinforced cutting wheels.

They're not too expensive, I think a 5 pack is $8 or something. Cuts faster and lasts longer than the standard once that come with the Dremel I found.

:ugeek:
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 10 Dec 2014, 2:56 pm

Nice idea.

I know my primer pockets are full of crap :|
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber