Correct storage of primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Correct storage of primers

Post by samf » 09 Dec 2014, 1:49 pm

Hi guys,

About storing primers... You guys know the plastic trays they come in with a cardboard sleeve around it holding them in, not sealed like powder is in a tub.

So I guess they're ok to be stored open to the air for a long while?

Don't need to worry about them absorbing moisture or anything like that?
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Correct storage of primers

Post by cavok » 09 Dec 2014, 2:36 pm

Last week I loaded some old Winchester primers I had left over from 2004, small rifle. I stored them in their little plastic trays, 100, per tray. Still covered on the top of the plastic tray with cardboard, nothing else. Stored in locked cupboard, little moister in sunny Victoria, I would do it differently in some other states, to much humidity.
Last edited by cavok on 09 Dec 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 09 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

I don't like to put them in the humidor with my cigars, so I just keep them in a airy place above the reloading bench. I think they get used too fast to get old.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 09 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

Many of the shooters I know we buy everything in bulk, and I mean bulk. We purchase to the legal storage limit, different in many states. Here many have and store primers in 10,000 lots, stored correctly. It's impossible to use them up quickly, as once 5000 are used they are replaced, it's also difficult to use the oldest first, hence this is why every now and again a clean up is required to get the oldest primers and powder used. Both will last for very many years stored correctly. I have never had an issue using powder from 5 years ago, little left in a plastic container, primers from 10 years ago, and completed rounds from even longer. Friend used some 303 rounds from 1947, ex India, got a good bulk deal from some supplier. I used some and found 1 or 2 every 100/150, failed. Not bad for something made in 1947 sold as military surplus.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 09 Dec 2014, 3:30 pm

modern primers are foil sealed against moisture so they don't need to be kept in an airtight container

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 09 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

Chronos wrote:modern primers are foil sealed against moisture so they don't need to be kept in an airtight container

Chronos

Sorry, I have never seen a foil wrapped primer or primer packet, what brand do you purchase?
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 09 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

cavok wrote:Sorry, I have never seen a foil wrapped primer or primer packet, what brand do you purchase?

no you miss understand. the priming compound is sealed in the cup. each primer has it's own coating. they are not affected by water or anything else like oil or finger prints

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2014, 5:15 pm

Chronos wrote:no you miss understand. the priming compound is sealed in the cup. each primer has it's own coating. they are not affected by water or anything else like oil or finger prints

I never knew that - thanks for that tip Steve.

I've always stored mine in the box they came in, some were over 20yrs old and still worked fine, same with powder, shot some of my best groups using 20yr old powder :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 09 Dec 2014, 5:54 pm

of all the thing to concern ourselves with ...... :roll:

Don't worry about your primers. If you store them in the fridge or on the window sill.....whatevs
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 09 Dec 2014, 6:06 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I never knew that - thanks for that tip Steve.

I've always stored mine in the box they came in, some were over 20yrs old and still worked fine, same with powder, shot some of my best groups using 20yr old powder :lol:

you do need to keep them in their original packaging, put them all in a tub together and you may be creating a major hazard for yourself

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 09 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm

Just one experience here but I've loaded them after 3-4 years stored in a run of the mill safe, unsealed.

Perfect as far as this shooter can tell.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mich » 08 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

My oldest would be 9 years now and still firing the same as new.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2015, 1:46 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I never knew that - thanks for that tip Steve.

you do need to keep them in their original packaging, put them all in a tub together and you may be creating a major hazard for yourself

Chronos

Yeah I just leave them in their 1000pk box and get a tray out as needed. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by upup » 09 Jan 2015, 8:26 am

Chronos wrote:you do need to keep them in their original packaging, put them all in a tub together and you may be creating a major hazard for yourself

The original packs are just the slotted track things with cardboard around in what I know, not sealed at all.

What's the problem if they're together in a tub, given that they're sealed etc.?
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2015, 10:42 am

upup,

None that I've seen in 35yrs + of using them. :unknown: They'd be all stored in pallets in the factory and then stored in strongrooms etc in the gunshops all together, I can't honestly see an issue of having them that way, they get shipped all over the world on pallets on ships and trucks. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Jan 2015, 11:17 am

upup wrote:The original packs are just the slotted track things with cardboard around in what I know, not sealed at all.

What's the problem if they're together in a tub, given that they're sealed etc.?

The issue is that primers if stored loose in a container, can generate a dust that's explosive. 2000 primers ratteling around in a plastic tub can generate a fair amount of dust, add to that the static electricity that can build up between some plastics and other materials can be a dangerous mix.

the same dust is responsible for shooting peoples dillon primer tubes through the ceiling. Primer tubes should be washed clean occasionally to prevent this dust build up

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm

Chronos,

So you're saying leave then in the trays they came in and they will be fine? I wouldn't imagine too many would empty them into a plastic container (no real reason to I would have thought)? mine all stay in their trays they were packed in and stored with the 2 or 3000 other primers which are also stored the same way.

cheers mate (nice shooting on the gong too by the way) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Jan 2015, 12:49 pm

Yeah mate, just keep them in the original trays, no need to worry about humidity affecting them and no worry about any other dangers.

thanks, the gong belongs to Apollo, he let me have first crack at it. point of aim was about 6-8" below and left (about 1/3 of the way up a blackberry bush :lol:) but it was a good hit. It rung so loud when hit with a 180gr Berger i'm surprised you didn't hear the "ding" from your place :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm

Thanks for that Steve I figured that was what you were getting at, How is our mate Apollo? been behaving himself I take it. (probably drinking too much as usual but having a good time doing so! :lol: :thumbsup: The gongs do make a different ding depending on where you hit them alright, they are quite good fun when you get into em. :lol: we were ringing some at 750 and 1000yds the other week, I've never done long range shooting like that before, was good fun.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by upup » 09 Jan 2015, 2:19 pm

Chronos wrote:The issue is that primers if stored loose in a container, can generate a dust that's explosive. 2000 primers ratteling around in a plastic tub can generate a fair amount of dust, add to that the static electricity that can build up between some plastics and other materials can be a dangerous mix.

Ah I see.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition