Random brass won't fit in shell holder

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Random brass won't fit in shell holder

Post by tactice » 06 Jan 2015, 2:55 pm

Bit of a random one here.

I'm reloading for .308 and using an RCBS shell holder. Most brass slides in easily and smoothly, in and out, no problems.

Randomly I'm getting a few cases that just will not go into the shell holder, they get about 30% - 40% of sliding in and jam tight.

No rhyme or reason to the ones that stick as far as I can see. I'm using Winchester and Remington brass, all has been shot 3 or 4 times.

Haven't measured with calipers (broke them, haven't replaced yet) but looking at the case heads I can't see anything out of place.

The empty cases feed and eject fine, the bases seem flat and comparing a good and bad sitting on the table together I see nothing out of place.

Ideas?
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Random brass won't fit in shell holder

Post by tom604 » 06 Jan 2015, 3:01 pm

primmer bulge? :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by headspace » 06 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

You could try FL sizing them perhaps, although you did say they chambered and ejected OK. Is it the Winchester or the Remington brass you're having trouble with? You could also check the rim for any extractor marks, that would give problems in the shell holder.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 07 Jan 2015, 2:25 pm

How hot are your loads?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tactice » 07 Jan 2015, 2:34 pm

tom604 wrote:primmer bulge? :unknown:

I've had some stuck when going into the shell holder to be deprimed, looking the primer isn't extended past the base of the head.

In any case, I've had the same occur with deprimed brass so primers aren't the problem. Not the sole problem at least, unless they're contributing to some issue with the head.
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tactice » 07 Jan 2015, 2:36 pm

headspace wrote:You could try FL sizing them perhaps, although you did say they chambered and ejected OK. Is it the Winchester or the Remington brass you're having trouble with? You could also check the rim for any extractor marks, that would give problems in the shell holder.
JD

Thanks JD.

FL sizing hasn't been the solution. They do chamber and eject, getting one into the holder I have FL sized, they're just as hard to get out again. Same to get a freshly sized one back in the holder to trim them.

I haven't noticed any extractor marks but I wasn't really looking. Will do on the next round as I come across the problem cases.
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tactice » 07 Jan 2015, 2:37 pm

Tiiger wrote:How hot are your loads?

Never above max ADI load data.

Brass has been shot 3 or 4 times at with loads ranging from middle of the way to near max.

Definitely never over though.
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Odo » 07 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

I have a similar problem with 9mm pistol reloading with a Dillon Square Deal B. Some of the Winchester brass has a different rim thickness and is a pain to fit into the shell plate.

Since I have about 3000 empties I just chuck them in the bin as I find them.
Smith and Wesson. Norinco. Chinese Brno. Feinwerkbau. Gamo. Sportco. Slazenger. Drulov.
Odo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jan 2015, 7:53 pm

I had a similar problem with some brand spanking new Bertram .375 Cheytac cases I bought last year. Of the 500 almost 100 wouldn't fit the shell holder, my solution was to send the brass back along with the shell holder so they could test the replacement brass for fit before sending replacements.
Onto your issue, grab a case that doesn't fit any more and colour the base in with a black permanent marker. Try it in the shell holder and the black should rub off on the tight spot. Might have to move it around or try forcing it in a bit to rub the ink off, this should help you identify what area of the case is changing shape. give it a go and get back to us, maybe some pictures as well if possible.

How old is the rifle and how much work has it done? check the bolt face and see if it's flat, convex or concave...
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 08 Jan 2015, 4:56 am

all your own brass, not loading for someone else?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by tactice » 08 Jan 2015, 9:04 am

Odo wrote:Since I have about 3000 empties I just chuck them in the bin as I find them.

I guess I'll just chuck them.

It's not happening a lot, but enough to notice and be annoying.

Probably 10-15 brass out of 300?

Just want to make sure I'm not doing something to gradually wreck them all. Doesn't sound like it though.
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tactice » 08 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

brett1868 wrote:Onto your issue, grab a case that doesn't fit any more and colour the base in with a black permanent marker. Try it in the shell holder and the black should rub off on the tight spot. Might have to move it around or try forcing it in a bit to rub the ink off, this should help you identify what area of the case is changing shape. give it a go and get back to us, maybe some pictures as well if possible.

Can do.

Will try find a sticker again and get a picture.
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tactice » 08 Jan 2015, 9:06 am

tom604 wrote:all your own brass, not loading for someone else?

Only my brass, only shot in my rifle.

Bought in new bags, not picked up off the range floor or anything.
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition