Powder scale

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Powder scale

Post by headspace » 11 Jan 2015, 8:34 pm

I'm thinking of getting another beam scale. I've been using a Lee scale now for quite a while and I have no problem with it accuracy. I just hasn't got enough features or weighing capacity. I'm not interested in electronic scales because I enjoy the business of weighing each charge. I've looked on line for one of the old Ohaus scales but they are like hens teeth so it'll probably be a new one. I'm thinking either Hornady or RCBS at the moment. I'd like to hear any opinions.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Powder scale

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Jan 2015, 8:44 pm

I have had no experience with other brands but have used the RCBS 505 And the RCBS 5-10 side by side and found despite the shorter beam of the 5-10 it was seemed as sensitive as the 505.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jan 2015, 8:48 pm

I have a 20 yr old redding number 2. Seem to work ok, just a bit slow. Capacity is 505 . Lyman also make 500 version.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 11 Jan 2015, 10:13 pm

I used an RCBS 505 extensively for the first couple years I reloaded and couldn't fault it. I bought one of the Chargemaster electronic scales because I found weighing charges tedious when I was doing large batches but if I only have a small amount to do I still use the mechanical scale
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Jan 2015, 9:13 am

I used the Lee when i started out reloading but found it quite slow to settle and inaccurate when weighing the same charge over again.

I bought the redding beam scale and trickler and I find it settles quickly and is very repeatable. It's easy to tell small changes in charge as small as 1/10th the .1gr increments and unlike most of the other beam scales in the market the beam rides on a metal pivot

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 12 Jan 2015, 8:53 pm

I went out this arvo and bought a Hornady scale. It's very similar in operation to the RCBS 505 but a lot cheaper. The RCBS was a bit over $200 at one of my nearby gun shops, whereas the Hornady unit was $95. It balances very quickly (light speed compared to the Lee) and has the features I wanted. Thanks for the input fella's
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

Let us all know how the Hornady goes, Headspace. Glad you found something suitable. Try a range of charge weights and weigh each one 5 or more times to see how repeatable it is.

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by headspace » 13 Jan 2015, 9:59 am

I will mate, I've actually re-organised my bench with the scale in mind. The Lee one is currently sulking in another corner.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sally-bee » 14 Jan 2015, 10:27 am

What makes one beam scale settle faster than another? :?:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mich » 14 Jan 2015, 10:36 am

headspace wrote:I went out this arvo and bought a Hornady scale. It's very similar in operation to the RCBS 505 but a lot cheaper. The RCBS was a bit over $200 at one of my nearby gun shops, whereas the Hornady unit was $95. It balances very quickly (light speed compared to the Lee) and has the features I wanted. Thanks for the input fella's
JD

Late to the conversation on this one but anyway...

I've got the standard RCBS scale, and the Hornady. Actually bought the Hornady when I thought I'd lost my RCBS one, then found it :x

I also use a buddies digital scale occasionally. After I got the pair I did a few test comparisons between them and the Hornady was consistently accurate.

Can't fault it for you.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by headspace » 14 Jan 2015, 4:32 pm

Thanks Mich it looks the goods so far.

sally-bee wrote:What makes one beam scale settle faster than another? :?:

Sally the big difference in damping quality is how long it takes the beam to stop occillating up and down. My scales these days are dampened magnetically, so I guess its the quality involved in the magnets and how they are set up. Back in the old days we had an oil reservoir that dampened the beam but that was a pretty messy way to do it.

JD :D
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 15 Jan 2015, 9:55 am

No problem.

Glad to still be of help.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by sally-bee » 15 Jan 2015, 9:56 am

headspace wrote:Sally the big difference in damping quality is how long it takes the beam to stop occillating up and down.

I see.

I assumed it was just gravity settling the beam on all of them.

Live and learn :)
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition