How many shots before I will need to trim brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

How many shots before I will need to trim brass

Post by melanie » 13 Jan 2015, 8:56 am

Hi guys,

I'm budgeting out my shooting expenses and it will take a few months to get to the end of the list so going with the needs first and the wants last.

Can I find out roughly how many times I can fire brass before I need to trim it?

Putting the money for the trimmer down the end if I can.

Thanks.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: How many shots before I will need to trim brass

Post by Chronos » 13 Jan 2015, 9:15 am

The only way you'll know is it measure them and monitor case growth. Different cartridges grow at different rates, different chambers and sizing techniques also influence how quickly cases grow.

I always trim new cases to the shoes yes case in the batch. Not ideal as simetimes you end up with a batch that are trimmed .010" under max length but at least all the cases are the same length but that batch has been fired probably ten times and are still under max.

Have a look online for the Max case length for your cartridge then measure a few cases. Then measure them again after 2-3 firings. You'll get an idea in when you'll reach max and trimming is required.

Don't be afraid to ask shooters in your area to help you trim your brass on their gear. Saves you buying the equipment straight away and you'll learn more with help from experienced trimmers to watch.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 13 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

Chronos wrote:The only way you'll know is it measure them and monitor case growth. Different cartridges grow at different rates, different chambers and sizing techniques also influence how quickly cases grow.

:thumbsup:

What cartridge are you shooting, Mel?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by franc » 13 Jan 2015, 2:04 pm

FYI you can pick up the Lee case trimming system that does with a power drill for about $25.

The hundred(s) $ hand or electric aren't the only option.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by melanie » 13 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Hi guys,

It's still actually to be decided. I'm at the beginning of all this as my post sort of suggested.

Probably a .223 and then either a .270 or .308.

Understood different factors will effect the rate it grows.

Any rough estimates for the above options?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harts » 13 Jan 2015, 2:08 pm

Chronos wrote:Different cartridges grow at different rates, different chambers and sizing techniques also influence how quickly cases grow.

Also shooting the same cartridges with lighter or heavier powder charges will grow slower or faster, Melanie.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 13 Jan 2015, 2:25 pm

franc wrote:FYI you can pick up the Lee case trimming system that does with a power drill for about $25.

The hundred(s) $ hand or electric aren't the only option.

^^^^this :thumbsup: find your max length and then just run the cases through it just to check ;)

if you full length re-size you will stretch the cases more than if you just neck size ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by yoshie » 13 Jan 2015, 3:01 pm

You can get a Lyman case length gauge that has heaps of common case, you pass the case through the gauge and if it gets stuck you'll have to trim it. The Lee trimmers are really good value for money add for not much at all you'll be setup for all your cartridges. The trimmer is $20 and the cartridge specific bits are $12. The Lee hand held one's aren't adjustable like the more expensive systems. I usually get 3 to 5 reloads before I trim out of my 30-06, 260 and 223, 10 or more with 44 mag and 357. I've heard of people trimming 222 after 2 or 3 reloads, I trim before I get any problems.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tarnagulla » 13 Jan 2015, 4:52 pm

Chronos summed it up pretty well Melanie - so much will depend purely on the calibre alone (6.5x55mm is notorious) and also loads, etc. I have found that the Lee case-length gauge and cutter system works, but can have issues - cases must be concentric in the shell holder, or centrifugal forces with an electric drill can give you grief, among other things. I have switched to the Lee Quick Trim system, where you have a Quick Trim die for each calibre (mounts in your press) and a Lee Delux Trimmer, which suits all calibres (except maybe .50BMG, but I doubt that you are interested in that!). It works well, it is quick, and relatively cheap, compared to the traditional Lyman or Redding type trimmers.
Just my two shillings worth...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by tarnagulla » 13 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm

OOPS! Sorry, no idea how that happened...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 13 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm

if case trimming is a concern, maybe consider one of P.O.Ackley's improved rounds with a sharper shoulder which reduces brass flow and case lengthening.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 14 Jan 2015, 8:16 am

tarnagulla wrote:OOPS! Sorry, no idea how that happened...

Occasionally get a double post. No biggie.

Removed.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 14 Jan 2015, 8:21 am

Thanks Chronos, Tarna and Tom for the infos.

Didn't know about the $30 trimmers, thanks Franc and Yoshie.

Not a concern yet mausermate, just finding out what I need.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by melanie » 14 Jan 2015, 8:21 am

tarnagulla wrote:I have switched to the Lee Quick Trim system, where you have a Quick Trim die for each calibre (mounts in your press) and a Lee Delux Trimmer, which suits all calibres (except maybe .50BMG, but I doubt that you are interested in that!).

I'll probably never get to shoot one but I'm definitely interested :D
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by tactice » 14 Jan 2015, 8:23 am

The longest I've ever taken my 22-250 and 308 to were 4 shots each.

TBH though it was just because I hadn't gotten around to getting the trimmer and was being a bit lazy.

All were clearly longer than factory brass by a good measure. Should have got to it earlier really.
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition