Electronic powder dispensers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Electronic powder dispensers

Post by bluerob » 14 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

Just wondering if anyone is using any of the electronic powder dispensers?

I picked up a near new Redding 3BR Match Grade dispenser recently, which I've never used. I primarily load pistol on a progressive press, but, looking to load .308 & .223 on a single stage that I have also.

Any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Electronic powder dispenser

Post by Baldrick314 » 14 Jan 2015, 2:14 pm

I've been using an RCBS Chargemaster for a little while now. I've found it as accurate as my balance beam scales. Can't speak for any other brands though
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

the electronic dispensers can be great, some require a few mods and some thought about lighting etc. in my opinion they will never be as accurate as a quality beam scale and a trickler however in most situations the accuracy produced by a quality electronic powder dispenser will be satisfactory

I'd suggest you give the Redding BR30 thrower a try. WIth the "right" powder they are exceptionally accurate throwers, some say more accurate than the $400ish Harrell throwers used in benchrest circles (note: a lot of benchrest shooters are slowly moving to electronic dispensers)

I have a BR30 thrower and with very short stick powders like 2205, 2219 and the benchmarks it will usually throw exactly the same every time, not .1gr over or under but exactly the same. i soon gave up weighing charger after it was set

I recently aquired a new harrell thrower to compare so i'll know more about it after the weekend

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 14 Jan 2015, 5:06 pm

the electronic dispensers can be great, some require a few mods and some thought about lighting etc. in my opinion they will never be as accurate as a quality beam scale and a trickler however in most situations the accuracy produced by a quality electronic powder dispenser will be satisfactory

:lol: :lol: in 20 to 30 years beam scales will be in museums :lol: a bit like, the car is fine but nothing will replace the horse, remember the first computers ?
they never improved did they :lol: you do lose that "hands on" feeling with dispensers :cry: but they are miles better/faster than beam ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 14 Jan 2015, 9:25 pm

tom604 wrote:the electronic dispensers can be great, some require a few mods and some thought about lighting etc. in my opinion they will never be as accurate as a quality beam scale and a trickler however in most situations the accuracy produced by a quality electronic powder dispenser will be satisfactory

:lol: :lol: in 20 to 30 years beam scales will be in museums :lol: a bit like, the car is fine but nothing will replace the horse, remember the first computers ?
they never improved did they :lol: you do lose that "hands on" feeling with dispensers :cry: but they are miles better/faster than beam ;)

and your point?

a car is fast, but a bicycle is more efficient.

also i disagree that the dispensers are faster than a thrower, hell i can throw and trickle onto a beam scale faster than some of the dispensers. the new lyman is better and the charge master is fast but that's neither here nor there when you want accuracy to the kernel

i'd consider a chargemaster for hunting/service rifle loads if the machined were't still so exxy

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jan 2015, 10:42 pm

I have the RCBS charge master, Hornady lock and load throwers and the old school RCBS balance beam.

Both the electronic units required some adjustment of settings to get consistent with the Hornady being the easiest to configure but the RCBS has the ability to store loads in memory. I threw loads in each then measured on the others just to check accuracy across the 3 and they were all within 0.1gr of the balance beam which is acceptable to me.

My main reason for moving to the electronic throwers is that I load up to 235gr of powder and having to throw that then weight on the old school gear was very time consuming.

Keep in mind that the balance beam scales need to be zero'd manually each time you set them up which could lead to very minor differences in loads while the electronic are just calibrated using the included weights. Not a big deal unless your doing small load pistol type reounds where .1gr can make a difference.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 15 Jan 2015, 12:19 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I've been using an RCBS Chargemaster for a little while now. I've found it as accurate as my balance beam scales.

Ditto.

Using the Chargemaster dispenser/scales combo.

Tested again my RCBS beam scales and a mates Hornady beam scale. It's as accurate as either.

On even temperature days it's very consistent too. Only overthrows about 1:50 charges, by 0.1 or 0.2 of a grain.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 15 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

Many thanks for the replies and comments.

I'll try the Redding thrower and see how I go.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Electronic powder dispensers

Post by cooker » 16 Jan 2015, 9:56 am

Hi Rob,

I'm using the Redding 3BR. I've tested against electronic dispensers and scales and found it very accurate.

Faster by a mile than electronic dispensers too once you have the charge dialled in.

Electronics great if you're changing charge weights regularly but I'm not. Faster to set it once and click away with the thrower for me as it's just as consistent :)
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Return to Reloading ammunition