Cost per hand load?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cost per hand load?

Post by threeoh » 14 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to get into hand loading for some fun, but mostly to save money on ammo cost.

I've got the info on reloading press and other equipment, but wasn't sure how the ammo components break down. Can someone tell me what it costs them per cartridge for the ammo alone?

I'm shooting a .308 at the moment and would be looking to reload for this first. In the future I might add a pest caliber like .223 or .243 too the safe, not sure if the cost varies here much?

Thank you guys.
threeoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Cost per hand load?

Post by Igoe » 14 Oct 2013, 3:13 pm

There are plenty of online calculators. Google "reloading cost calculator" and take your pick.
I've got an Excel spreadsheet saved somewhere that is useful, but not sure which computer it is saved on.

While you might save a bit on factory ammo, the amount you save will depend on which ammo you normally buy. Some factory ammo can be pretty good value if your rifle shoots it accurately.

Don't forget to factor in the start up costs if your main reason for doing it is saving money. You will spend $200 or more for a basic reloading set up, plus another $100 approx for powder, projectiles and primers. If you work out that you can save 30c per round, that equates to 1,000 rounds before you start to save money.

Having said all that, I recommend getting into reloading anyway. I find it a lot of fun. The cost saving doesn't really matter to me, and I'm not doing it to save money.

Ian
Igoe
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 14 Oct 2013, 3:14 pm

The bullet you choose will effect the cost most.

On 30 cal it could be .40c or $2.00 per pill depending on how fancy the projectile is.

Plus the costs of primer, powder etc.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2013, 4:48 pm

For mine -

6c for primer
9c for brass (based on using each brass 10 times, and really you get more than that out of them)
28c for powder (46.5gr ADI 2208)
48c for projectile (Hornady SST 150gr)

In summary, 91c per cartridge. Compared to $1.40 per cartridge if you buy factory by the box.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Oct 2013, 9:41 pm

Im loading at 70 cents per round for .243 ( not counting brass ) , Projectiles for me are 41 cents each, I started out on 150 spent shells, I made a shell holder out of a piece of hard wood and a powder trickler from a bic biro and a few bits and pieces, A second hand rcbs powder scale, a powder funnel, a lee hand loader that cost $20, and I already had a plastic / rubber soft blow hammer to opperate it with. It still loads rounds for me that give me 1/2 MOA, The only thing a lee hand loader won't do is full length size, you won't need to do that for a while. nor will you need to trim or neck ream for a while those tools can wait. A set of vernier calpiers for measuring OCL. JTL and, case length is a must.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 15 Oct 2013, 6:25 am

on_one_wheel wrote:nor will you need to trim or neck ream for a while those tools can wait.

I'm using the Lee Precision hand trimming bit you use with a drill.

Works great and was $25 or something, and fast. Waste of money to spend $200-$300 on a manual trimmer station (or whatever you wanna call them).

And for $25 it doesn't break the bank to start trimming your stuff sooner rather than later.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by threeoh » 22 Oct 2013, 7:54 am

Thanks all.

Didn't need to know to the cent, but that's sounding cheap enough for it to be worth my while.
threeoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 22 Oct 2013, 8:17 am

threeoh wrote:Didn't need to know to the cent, but that's sounding cheap enough for it to be worth my while.

Unless you only shoot a couple of times a year, it will be.

You need to shoot a few hundred rounds for a kit to pay for itself, but that will go by in no time if you shoot with some regularity.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Brute » 22 Oct 2013, 8:47 am

The more you shoot the cheaper it gets.

That's my excuse to shoot more anyway ;)
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by threeoh » 16 Dec 2013, 9:31 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I ended up getting the RCBS Rock Chucker kit :D

Now gotta do some more shooting to justify it :lol:
threeoh
Recruit