Light ring around base of brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Light ring around base of brass

Post by Warrigul » 23 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm

Jack V wrote:You can still have an over load put into a second-hand case that is close to incipient head separation without the reloader knowing that and it's a worse situation than a new stronger case . If the same load was placed in a good case it may be a blown primer but in the weakened case it's rampant gas pressure right into the action or worse your face . The solid cartridge base is a big part of an actions ability to contain chamber pressures safely .

You are making it more complicated than it needs to be, if it is an overload the reloader only has themselves to blame.If it is enough to blow the primer out then the clearance between the (probably belled- if you take note there is always a small amount of brass back from the thinned section to push against the chamber walls) end cap and the chamber wall will make very little difference to the end result. And again: most actions are more than able to divert gas away from the shooter.

But once again prop[er precautions should always be taken and it doesn't take a moment to scratch the insides with a wire hook as it is sensible to remove as many hazards as possible.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gregg » 27 Jan 2015, 7:49 am

Bills Shed wrote:the Mk 1 eyeball cost nothing to run.

Until you start stepping on your prescription glasses :problem:

:lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 27 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

Warrigul wrote:You are making it more complicated than it needs to be, if it is an overload the reloader only has themselves to blame.If it is enough to blow the primer out then the clearance between the (probably belled- if you take note there is always a small amount of brass back from the thinned section to push against the chamber walls) end cap and the chamber wall will make very little difference to the end result. And again: most actions are more than able to divert gas away from the shooter.

But once again prop[er precautions should always be taken and it doesn't take a moment to scratch the insides with a wire hook as it is sensible to remove as many hazards as possible.

Wrong mate the short solid part of the case that is left after it separates does not seal the gas well at all and in some action designs half of that is outside the chamber anyway . Most new reloaders will have no idea what the inside groove will feel like using the hook method alone .
In a normal pressure situation but with separation most actions do direct the gas away well. That still does not change the potential of an overload situation placed into a worn out case where the case head could rupture completely . It can make a big difference to the result . Anyway I would not be taking any advice from a guy who has had dozens of head separations . If you know what you are doing you don't get any .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 27 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm

There always seems to be a few mil of thinner brass left and so far It has sealed or it does well enough to let minimal gas past. As you have noted before you are not speaking from first hand experience.

Most of my separations have been with milsurp ammo, never an issue, just inconvenience. With reloads i normally catch them first- i reload a LOT.

You are slipping back into your old habits, it won't be long now.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wes » 28 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

Grated wrote:Do some googling on checking separation with a paperclip.

Will save you the trouble, here's what you're looking for.

casehead03.jpg
casehead03.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

IMGP4521-1.jpg
IMGP4521-1.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2015, 4:00 pm

Wes wrote:
Grated wrote:Do some googling on checking separation with a paperclip.

Will save you the trouble, here's what you're looking for.

I cut the end of the wire with side cutters to get a sharp point.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wes » 29 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm

Sounds like a good idea.

(I got those pics from Google, not my brass but I was also doing with a as-is paper clip end)
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition