Case / head separation in batches and replacing brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case / head separation in batches and replacing brass

Post by paps » 23 Jan 2015, 10:18 am

Bit of a theoretical.

Say I buy a pay of new brass and and reloading them all the same.

They all get shot and reloaded evenly so are same times fired.

After X amounts of shots if I find one has the clear beginnings of separation, would it be prudent to throw the lot and replace them with new brass? Since they've all gone through the same work are the sure to be close behind?

Or would that just be wasteful? How varied is the number of shots required to cause separation for brass treated the same?
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Case / head separation in batches and replacing brass

Post by Korkt » 29 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

A lot of shooters practice what you've described.

Numbers vary depending on who you speak to but some will throw their brass out after 10, 15, 20 however many to avoid problem before they happen. Brass life is finite so it's not a completely unreasonably idea.

You will be wasting brass though so some degree. Pretend for the sake of argument 15 shots is when you typically start to see separation with brand X brass. Some cases from that bag could easily have another 5 shots in them.

Personally I'd spend the time inspection them instead. It's not like you have to do it every time, do every 3 shots or whatever. Have a look, run a hooked paperclip up and down, see what's what. If they show signs then toss them even if it's only the start. If they don't you should be good for another 3 shots before you check again.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Klem » 29 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

Korkt wrote:Have a look, run a hooked paperclip up and down, see what's what.

:thumbsup:

Cheapest tool in the world and will save you good money on replacing brass.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 6:22 pm

It's a fair way to do it even though some cases may have more left in them than others but it's too hard to be exact . Once one in the batch is getting thin at the web the rest are not far behind. That is why it's important to keep track of times fired and keep brass separated in batches .
A very handy tool to assist in inspecting cases inside is a Doctors Otoscope and they are quite cheap .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 29 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm

Klem wrote:
Korkt wrote:Have a look, run a hooked paperclip up and down, see what's what.

:thumbsup:

Cheapest tool in the world and will save you good money on replacing brass.

Anything else is overkill.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by paps » 31 Jan 2015, 10:55 am

Jack V wrote:It's a fair way to do it even though some cases may have more left in them than others but it's too hard to be exact . Once one in the batch is getting thin at the web the rest are not far behind.

That was my logic.

TBH I wouldn't bother going to the extent of something like an otoscope.

Just keeping safe without having to spend ages checking brass is all I need/want.
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 01 Feb 2015, 10:41 am

paps wrote:That was my logic.

TBH I wouldn't bother going to the extent of something like an otoscope.

Just keeping safe without having to spend ages checking brass is all I need/want.

I think you should look up Otoscope first they are very cheap. Once you have one they are also very handy for many other uses.

It is a fair enough way to do it but you must also be right about the first few bad cases you find in the batch which needs inspection skills. Then after a while you get to know how many firings they will last before you toss them.

Brands do vary in life expectancy. Don't discount a new idea just because one person ridicules it in another thread. You could be missing out on a good thing.

The knockers don't want you to be any better than they are it scares them.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 01 Feb 2015, 12:33 pm

Jack V wrote:I think you should look up Otoscope first they are very cheap . Once you have one they are also very handy for many other uses .
It is a fair enough way to do it but you must also be right about the first few bad cases you find in the batch which needs inspection skills . Then after a while you get to know how many firings they will last before you toss them . Brands do vary in life expectancy . Don't discount a new idea just because one person ridicules it in another thread . You could be missing out on a good thing . The knockers don't want you to be any better than they are it scares them.

As a tradesman who often needs to inspect machinery, condensor, boiler tubes and pressure vessels I have tools ranging from a basic otoscope right up to the digital recording scope for quoting.

I have used the basic one on a couple of cases but it takes so much longer than a piece of wire and the wire is just as effective(probably more tbh), you will miss more optically, fingers are far better guages than eyes, weak spots aren't easily recognised in the early stages where they are by wire..

You have stated your opinion, I have stated mine. I am no stranger to their use but still use a simple piece of wire. Draw your own conclusions but you will never get cheaper than a piece of bent wire.

I could use abusive language as you have but prefer to simply state the facts. Let the OP decide.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by paps » 03 Feb 2015, 9:47 am

Jack V wrote:Don't discount a new idea just because one person ridicules it in another thread. You could be missing out on a good thing.

Not knocking it, I'm sure it's a good idea.

Just more than I want to dedicate to this for my level of shooting (and time/money available).

:)
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RDobber » 03 Feb 2015, 9:50 am

Do it on a case by case bases IMO.

If you're shooting frequently you'll waste a lot of brass otherwise.

2c.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition