Risk of using magnum primers in large rifle cartridges

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Risk of using magnum primers in large rifle cartridges

Post by rigatoni » 10 Feb 2015, 10:45 am

Hi guys,

Seems to be 2 points of view on this (that never happens in shooting! :lol:)

Anyway... Reloading large rifle cartridges with Magnum primers... Some doing it because the resulting burn is more accurate, some saying it's dangerous.

Where exactly it's potentially dangerous is also in some disagreement.

Half saying if you have an existing load with a large rifle primer and swap to a magnum it can be dangerous which makes sense, but if you develop a new load with magnum primers starting low and working your way up it's safe.

Others just saying it should never be done.

Opinions?
Weaver Grand Slam
Savage 11/111 FCNS .270 Winchester
rigatoni
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Risk of using magnum primers in large rifle cartridges

Post by Warrigul » 10 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

rigatoni wrote:Half saying if you have an existing load with a large rifle primer and swap to a magnum it can be dangerous which makes sense, but if you develop a new load with magnum primers starting low and working your way up it's safe.

Well you see now that is just plain sensible.

Not everyone is sensible hence the "it should never be done" brigade.

Magnum primers are a bit of a waste of money unless they are specifically called for in the bigger longer cases but they do have benefits such as thicker cup material etc etc but if you need a thicker cup then a BR primer is usually a better bet.

But all that said and done I am working my way through a few thousand small rifle magnum, small and large pistol magnum primers($20 a thousand in the bargain bin) and there haven't been any drastic changes in the loads I use them with.

Just be careful.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by inervate » 11 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm

Warrigul wrote:Well you see now that is just plain sensible.

I'm sorry it's what? :lol:
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 11 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm

Haven't got an exact numbers to give you but the the jist of it is that the more powerful primer will result in a different burn. Potentially causing increased pressure.

Swaping from one to the other in an already hot load wouldn't be the smartest thing to do but as with any load workup starting light and watching for problem signs is the way to do it, and it can be done safely.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Joom » 11 Feb 2015, 12:10 pm

Warrigul wrote:Magnum primers are a bit of a waste of money unless they are specifically called for in the bigger longer cases but they do have benefits such as thicker cup material etc etc but if you need a thicker cup then a BR primer is usually a better bet.

Some of the serious benchrest boys seem to prefer them in their non-mag cartridges.

Would only be a miniscule change you'd potentially get from a different brand of large rifle anyway though.

Sticking with what's worked for them I guess.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Feb 2015, 2:17 pm

Joom wrote:Some of the serious benchrest boys seem to prefer them in their non-mag cartridges.

Would only be a miniscule change you'd potentially get from a different brand of large rifle anyway though.

Sticking with what's worked for them I guess.

It is all to do with burn rate of the primer etc etc, way over my head.

The current trend ala palma .308 is to run a small rifle primer case instead of one with a LR primer. Seems to work for some but in my personal case I didn't see any improvement.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lyam » 12 Feb 2015, 12:36 pm

Have a read of this Rigatoni.

Very extensive article on different primers with actually testing done, not just theory.

A Match Primer Study in the 30-06 Cartridge
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 12 Feb 2015, 12:39 pm

Tiiger wrote:Haven't got an exact numbers to give you but the the jist of it is that the more powerful primer will result in a different burn. Potentially causing increased pressure.

This is from the same article linked above.

The data show a fairly wide range of performance among the primers. Pressure ranged 4,600 psi; from a low pressure of 57,100 psi (Win. 115) to a high of 61,700 psi (Fed. 215 Magnum). This last load is over the SAAMI specified average maximum pressure of 60,000 psi for the 30-06 cartridge...

Primers, like any other component, require testing before substitution; however, these tables should not be used as a substitute for your own testing as the data is valid only for the specific lots used and the load and rifle with which they were tested.

It's definitely significant.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 12 Feb 2015, 5:55 pm

Why is it the 6.5x47 springs to mind here??????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Joom » 13 Feb 2015, 5:56 pm

I dunno, you brought it up :P :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mich » 13 Feb 2015, 6:08 pm

Warrigul wrote:Magnum primers are a bit of a waste of money unless they are specifically called for in the bigger longer cases but they do have benefits such as thicker cup material etc etc but if you need a thicker cup then a BR primer is usually a better bet.

I had a try with them in my .243 Ackley when I was running it, just experimenting, I found much the same. No improvement to speak of in that case.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition