Primer hardness

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Primer hardness

Post by Timb0 » 13 Feb 2015, 8:25 pm

Would anyone have a list or an opinion on what's the hardest to softest large rifle primers?
Only really interested in common brands ; Winchester, CCI, Federal etc.
Thanks.
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Primer hardness

Post by tarnagulla » 14 Feb 2015, 5:40 am

Among pistol primers at least, Federal are considered the softest. I can't say for sure if that also applies to their rifle primers though.
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 14 Feb 2015, 10:38 am

tarnagulla wrote:Among pistol primers at least, Federal are considered the softest. I can't say for sure if that also applies to their rifle primers though.

They are not actually much softer, they ignite a lot easier as the compound is more volatile when struck.

Something to consider when reloading.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by tarnagulla » 14 Feb 2015, 7:19 pm

Well, for all practical purposes, is that not much the same thing?
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 14 Feb 2015, 7:56 pm

A simple guide is that "Match" primers like the CCI BR4's and Federal match primers are harder. the use a harder (thicker?) cup to resist the harder impact of a heavier firing pin string used in competitions rifles to shorten lock time. As for which are harder than the other i have no idea apart from internet heresay and rumor
'
Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 14 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

tarnagulla wrote:Well, for all practical purposes, is that not much the same thing?

Yep,
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by vonfram88 » 14 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm

Strangely enough the CCI and Federal primers are made at the same factory. Federal pistol primers are definitely easier to ignite than the CCI. Most people who have done a trigger and spring job when they were using federal primers will experience misfires if they switch to CCI requiring them to wind up the leaf in the revolver or put stronger springs back in their autos.

There was a chronic shortage of the federals recently. It was because demand in the US was out of control. I used to supply some raw materials to the ammo component manufacturers and tried to get some extra lots of primers into the country but they insisted on honouring the exclusivity deal with their Australian distributor.
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sneaker » 16 Feb 2015, 1:40 pm

Chronos wrote:A simple guide is that "Match" primers like the CCI BR4's and Federal match primers are harder. the use a harder (thicker?) cup to resist the harder impact of a heavier firing pin string used in competitions rifles to shorten lock time.

What's shortening lock time?
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 16 Feb 2015, 2:45 pm

sneaker wrote:
Chronos wrote:A simple guide is that "Match" primers like the CCI BR4's and Federal match primers are harder. the use a harder (thicker?) cup to resist the harder impact of a heavier firing pin string used in competitions rifles to shorten lock time.

What's shortening lock time?

lock time is the time between when the trigger is pulled (the sear is released) and when the primer is struck.

The heavier the firing pin spring the faster the pin moves forward and the shorter the lock time. in almost all situations a shorter lock time will improve the accuracy of a rifle, particularly in slower moving cartridges like in rimfire rifles

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 16 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Remington primers have the hardest to dent cup and withstand more pressure than most . Federal about next then I would rate CCI LR and Winchester LR about the softest to dent . Cup thickness in LR primers is about the same on most common brands . It's the material they are made out of that makes them harder or softer.
There is more variation in SR primers I think.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sneaker » 17 Feb 2015, 8:53 pm

Chronos wrote:The heavier the firing pin spring the faster the pin moves forward and the shorter the lock time. in almost all situations a shorter lock time will improve the accuracy of a rifle, particularly in slower moving cartridges like in rimfire rifles

I see so it's about withstanding the pin.
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 17 Feb 2015, 9:47 pm

Have a look at http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php.

He did some great research on the subject.

I only use CCI primers and BR4 in small rifle exclusively.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 Feb 2015, 7:59 pm

headspace wrote:I only use CCI primers and BR4 in small rifle exclusively.

BR2 for me (large rifle).
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition