Reloading while it's raining

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading while it's raining

Post by vexesus » 23 Feb 2015, 2:09 pm

To be clear not asking about storing powder in frequently raining or humid areas, just talking about while things are out during a short but intense period of moisture.

If it's pissing down and humid as, is powder absorbent enough to pick up anything from that short but intense time?

And could the downsides be?

(Pissing with rain all day here and put it off :()
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Reloading while it's raining

Post by Jack V » 23 Feb 2015, 2:37 pm

It's a good question. Don't leave the lid off the powder can . Powder that is held in a measure is fairly sealed in so I can't see a big issue in that case.
Dipping powder from an open container would have more potential to pick up moisture but again I can't see an issue especially if the ammo is to be used in a reasonable time frame. The coatings on powder granules seem to keep it isolated from air moisture so I have never worried about it too much but I am sure an in-depth scientific examination of the subject could come up with some small negative effect over time . If I was loading ammo to put away for a few years I would most likely avoid wet days .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 23 Feb 2015, 3:02 pm

Black powder left open in humid and damp weather definately will hence the expression " Keep yer powder dry!". Would have thought the shiny coating on smokeless would seal it reasonably well.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

I used to do a fair bit of reloading on rainy days, I haven't suffered any adverse effects. I'm sure at some level the moisture in the air does effect the powder but I doubt it's enough to cause drastic changes, not in the short term anyway. As said above ammo for long term storage may be a different case
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Techc » 23 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm

I haven't noticed a difference and have done it a number of times.

My reloading space is inside though, and away from direct exposure via windows, doors etc.

Having the powder exposed for a few hours in a drafty shed could be another story?
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Tiiger » 23 Feb 2015, 7:37 pm

vexesus wrote:And could the downsides be?

I can't give you an answer on hours required to absorb enough moisture for it to matter, but the downside (again, if any, not saying you'll notice) would be a different burn from the cartridge and change in velocity/accuracy.

I can't see it doing much more than a hairs breadth for every day reloading though.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Turkle » 27 Feb 2015, 2:41 pm

Never noticed a difference, would have done hundreds while raining.
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

Storm in a tea cup. If the case is almost full of powder not much room left for moist air.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by coroboreeboy » 28 Feb 2015, 6:07 am

As a reloader living in the tropics, and as a lazy sod who used to leave powder in the press instead of putting in back in the bottle, I found out the hard way that humidity has different effects on different powders. Specifically, coarse grain like AS50 don't seem to be affected much if at all; while fine powders like Bullseye very easily "cake" and cause metering problems.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by vexesus » 02 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

coroboreeboy wrote:coarse grain like AS50 don't seem to be affected much if at all; while fine powders like Bullseye very easily "cake" and cause metering problems.

Once metered though did you find it shot the same or was it completely different?

Or was it just too buggered to bother....
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 06 Mar 2015, 2:12 pm

Borrow Turkle's umbrella, :idea: :lol: I do mine in a batch on an outside bench in fine dry weather,so no experience to add,

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Turkle » 06 Mar 2015, 2:56 pm

:D

Reloading is sort of my rainy day activity to keep busy.

Pretty much only do it in crappy weather :lol:
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Mar 2015, 3:40 pm

I think I'm gonna get on with bunnybuster pretty good. Plugs pests and keeps reminding me to "be safe" LOL
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by coroboreeboy » 06 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

vexesus wrote:
coroboreeboy wrote:coarse grain like AS50 don't seem to be affected much if at all; while fine powders like Bullseye very easily "cake" and cause metering problems.

Once metered though did you find it shot the same or was it completely different?

Or was it just too buggered to bother....

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. In answer to your question, does the word "squib" ring a bell. Got 2 of them in 1 competition!
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BRNOmod2 » 06 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm

I thought about this question myself when I moved to south coast of WA. I am fairly meticulous in emptying my powder thrower as soon as I finish my reloading, but just to be sure I ended up taping one of those little silica/moisture absorbing sachets under the powder thrower hopper lid (the type you find in the box when the missus buys another new pair of shoes) don't know if it does anything or not? but I seem to be able to load some very consistent match grade rounds regardless of what the weather is/what the humidity is.
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by vexesus » 07 Mar 2015, 3:18 pm

coroboreeboy wrote:Sorry to take so long to get back to you. In answer to your question, does the word "squib" ring a bell. Got 2 of them in 1 competition!

Hey, no problem.

Two in one :(

Well that aint no good.
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 07 Mar 2015, 3:20 pm

BRNOmod2 wrote:I ended up taping one of those little silica/moisture absorbing sachets under the powder thrower hopper lid

Clever thought. Probably not a bad idea.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition