260 Remington vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

260 Remington vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by BSim » 01 Mar 2015, 10:16 am

hi

I'm new to shooting and reloading and trying to decide between the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor. I've visited quite a few dealers websites for equipment and havent found dies or brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Am I missing something? As such, I'm inclined to go with the 260 for ease of obtaining the equipments. Appreciate if anyone can shed light on the availability of materials for the Creedmoor. thanks
BSim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 260 Remington vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by Korkt » 01 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a relatively new cartridge, I think Hornady only released it 6-7 years ago or so. Compared to the .260 Rem which has been around for 18 or 19 years so there is a bit of that too it.

6.5 is also slanted towards match shooting where the .260 Rem is more all purpose.

The 6.5 just hasn't been around as long and done as much maybe won't be as readily available depending on your dealer.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 01 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

What brought you to these two calibres? What's the purpose of the rifle?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by BSim » 01 Mar 2015, 1:56 pm

Hi

I'm using it for target shooting exclusively, not hunting. I'm looking at them as they kick less than the venerable 308 and shoots flatter

thanks for the replies so far
BSim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 01 Mar 2015, 2:14 pm

As far as I can see the 6.5 Creedmoor has a better shoulder design than the 260 Rem. This would make it easier to size too and hold a precision headspace . Longer neck which makes partial neck sizing more useful .
Both fairly similar but I think the 6.5 Creedmoor would have a slight accuracy potential edge . The 260 case would be easier to buy gear for and also easier to make from 308 brass . 260 is probably the practical choice . If trying to squeeze out every bit of potential accuracy then 6.5 Creedmoor .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BSim » 01 Mar 2015, 2:40 pm

thanks Jack
That's kinda the conclusion I came to. Practical reasons may mean I go with the .260
Alternatively, any views of other 6.5mm cartridges that I should be considering?
BSim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 01 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

You could also consider the 6.5x 55 Swedish Mauser but it's longer and needs a longer action than 260 so that may push you into a gun you don't really want .
It's got some extra powder capacity and velocity potential over the 260 .
However if target shooting only then you don't really need that extra capacity of the 6.5 x55 anyway for the 6.5 bullets .
6.5x 47 lapua is also a good cartridge very similar to 6.5 Creedmoor . However there is no common parent brass that I know of like there is for 260 Rem.
Weighing it all up the 260 has a lot going for it and in a pinch you could make brass easily out of once fired 308 brass or even neck up 243 brass .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 01 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm

Hey mate, if recoil is the only factor; for what its worth - going from 30 to 26 cal in the 308w family will save you 31% in free recoil and 20% in recoil velocity..... is that enough to justify going from 30 cal to 26? (That compares 168gr-308win vs 120gr-260Rem)

As far as other options in 6.5 barrel goes; the following list in increasing case capacity -
6.5x47 Lapua
260 Rem
256 Magg Gibbs
6.5x55 SE
6.5-284 Norma
6.5mm RemMag
264 WinMag
6.5x63 Messner Mag
26 Nosler

The Messner, is derived from the 9.3x64Brenneke case and is very hot with a bit more than the win mag and 20% more case cap than the Norma, Nosler will have more again, I dont have the numbers on that case though...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by BSim » 01 Mar 2015, 10:39 pm

thanks everyone. out of curiosity -- what do most of you use for target shooting like I described?
BSim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Mar 2015, 7:17 am

6mm BR is IMHO the best target rifle on the market !!!!! Having said that I shoot 2 6.5's both swedes and have found them both great for target work and the other great fro hunting as Jack stated if I was to pick again it would be the 6.5x47 but bugger me the brass is expensive and so the swede being the cheapest of the 6.5 crew still lives @ my place LMAO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 02 Mar 2015, 5:29 pm

I like the idea of a 6mmBR also.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 02 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm

Westy wrote:6mm BR is IMHO the best target rifle on the market !!!!! Having said that I shoot 2 6.5's both swedes and have found them both great for target work and the other great fro hunting as Jack stated if I was to pick again it would be the 6.5x47 but bugger me the brass is expensive and so the swede being the cheapest of the 6.5 crew still lives @ my place LMAO

isnt the 6mmBR the 22long rifle of the centrefire world..... you're just soft :lol: :sarcasm:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Klem » 02 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

A little commentary from Accurate Shooter here....

6.5mm Cartridges - Comparative Ballistics Performance by Zak Smith
Put in order of ballistic performance, the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .260 Remington are almost neck-and-neck, pushing the same weight bullets at about the same velocities from almost identical case capacities. The 6.5×47 Lapua in factory form lags by 100 to 200 fps due to less powder capacity; however, it has already gained a reputation for having a strong case that puts up with the high pressures some reloaders push in their custom rifles. The .260 Remington’s main problem for the reloader is lack of high-quality and affordable brass and to date there has only been one factory load produced which was appropriate for serious long-range competition for the non-reloader. The 6.5×47 was designed for intermediate-range competition and very accurate ammunition is available from Lapua; however, these factory loads are at a ballistic disadvantage at long range compared to the .260 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

There will always be those who bash new cartridges, claiming that they don’t do anything better than their favorite cartridge. By this logic, we’d all be shooting .30-06. Put simply, the 6.5 Creedmoor is what the .260 Remington should have been. It looks like Hornady has the right mind-set to make its new cartridge a success in the competitive and practical market, unlike Remington who basically let the .260 languish in a few hunting rifles. The 6.5 Creedmoor enjoys additional case capacity over the 6.5×47 Lapua, which allows better ballistics at a lower peak chamber pressure.

And compared to .30 cal options........

6.5 Creedmoor vs. the .308 Winchester
In the first article above, Zak explains: “Why 6.5 mm instead of .30 caliber? Put simply, they sling the long, slim, high-BC 6.5 mm bullets at respectable velocity. It duplicates or beats the .300 Win Mag’s trajectory with less recoil than a .308 Win. Compared to the 175 Sierra MK fired from a .308 Win, the 6.5 mm will have 27% less wind drift and about 10 MOA less drop at 1000 yards. Despite a 35-grain deficit in bullet mass, the 6.5 Creedmoor will retain 18% more energy and hit the target 260 fps faster.”
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Xerox » 02 Mar 2015, 8:49 pm

Same weight bullet, same powder charge, Creedmore will offer slightly higher velocity.

That would be where I'd put my money for a target rig.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by BSim » 03 Mar 2015, 9:57 pm

thanks everyone for sharing....
BSim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 04 Mar 2015, 6:45 am

Does it really matter if it's the most efficient? If it saves a fraction of a grain here or there?

The most efficient in the 30cal range is the cadet ..... doesn't mean it's the best and I doubt it would be chosen over others... While the kings are the super mags 30-378 etc which have a fraction of the efficiency of smaller 30s.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 04 Mar 2015, 1:29 pm

1290 wrote:Does it really matter if it's the most efficient? If it saves a fraction of a grain here or there?

Trading one for the other, probably not. Splitting hairs....

Buying one or the other for the first time though, why Not take the one with the edge? Even if it's small.

Whatever makes you happy though.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Pitty » 09 Mar 2015, 8:54 pm

I shoot a 260rem, so im a fan! When comparing the 6.5 class there really isn't much in it. It comes down to components, which
one has the most available or the better quality. For me it was the Remington, its just a shame they didn't back it up after launching it.
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... creedmoor/
Pitty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by heeple » 10 Mar 2015, 6:20 am

Pitty wrote:For me it was the Remington, its just a shame they didn't back it up after launching it.

Maybe some of the latest editions like the Tikka CTR in .260 will increase its popularity :unknown: :thumbsup:
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 10 Mar 2015, 6:52 am

Pitty wrote:I shoot a 260rem, so im a fan! When comparing the 6.5 class there really isn't much in it. It comes down to components, which
one has the most available or the better quality. For me it was the Remington, its just a shame they didn't back it up after launching it.
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... creedmoor/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was a good read especially for us 6.5 guys if I was to start again I think I might have gone the 6.5x47 route :drinks: :thumbsup: :drinks:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 7:21 am

For target work out to 600m it's very difficult to make an argument against the 6mm target cartridges. 6BR and its cousins the 6Dasher and 6BRX are still fairly dominant in Benchrest and F class shooting around the world. Remember there tend to be single shot rifles without the need to feed reliably from a magazine. The combination of the the case design and bulet ballistics make it ideal. Low recoil means you can give more attention to other factors that influence your scores.

The longer 6mm cases like 6X47, 6XC and 6mm creedmore and even .243 and .243AI have an advantage in that they will feed better through both bolt guns and semi autos in the a cross the course style matches in the US. Of course the faster you drive a bullet and the more powder you burn the shorter the barrel life

As far as 6.5's go is say tge 6.5X47 Lapua would be the pick for accuracy out to 1000y but you'd have to be at the pinnacle of the sport to tell the difference and a well set up and tuned .260 or even better a .260AI would be quite competitive. The shoulder angle has been aimed at feeding reliability in bolt and semi auto rifles rather than outright accuracy and barrel life.

A note on efficiency, I don't think case designs that are said to be efficient are necessarily that way to save powder, but instead give equal or better performance from the same case volume, usually by running at higher pressures.

Chronos
Last edited by Chronos on 10 Mar 2015, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by halberg » 10 Mar 2015, 11:03 am

Chronos wrote: The longer 6mm cases like 6X47, 6XC and 6mm creedmore and even .243 and .243AI have an advantage in that they will feed better through both bolt guns ands emu autos in the a cross the course style matches in the US.

emu?
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Squiddy » 13 Feb 2016, 9:16 pm

Do you really need to do your own reloads with a 6.5x55 or can you buy factory ammo with a good bc for long range target shooting? .260 factory ammo seems more expensive and harder to come by in Melbourne?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Feb 2016, 9:41 pm

Sort of irrelevant to a degree. Anyone that wants to compete seriously will load their own ammo regardless of factory availability as they want the most accurate ammunition possible.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Feb 2016, 5:01 am

I'd be very surprised if you found factory ammo that shot well and consistently enough 'in your rifle' for decent scores out past 500yd.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Blackened » 18 Feb 2016, 1:55 pm

Squiddy wrote:Do you really need to do your own reloads with a 6.5x55 or can you buy factory ammo with a good bc for long range target shooting? .260 factory ammo seems more expensive and harder to come by in Melbourne?

There is factory ammunition for the 6.5x55 but availability and variety will be limited.

The .260 is be a similar story, though not quite as bad as the 6.5x55 as it is a longer established, more widely used cartridge.

Broadly speaking we have a relatively small number of cartridges that are "common", and we have "the rest".

If you're shooting cartridges like (but not limited to) the 300WM, .308, .270, .243, .223 and a handful of others you can walk into any gun store and they'll likely have half a dozen factory options and plenty of reloading components in stock.

If you're shooting any of "the rest", factory ammo and reloading components won't be kept at the same levels in stores and you would plan to either grab things when you can, or special order as required.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Jul 2016, 4:32 pm

Blackened wrote:
Squiddy wrote:Do you really need to do your own reloads with a 6.5x55 or can you buy factory ammo with a good bc for long range target shooting? .260 factory ammo seems more expensive and harder to come by in Melbourne?

There is factory ammunition for the 6.5x55 but availability and variety will be limited.

The .260 is be a similar story, though not quite as bad as the 6.5x55 as it is a longer established, more widely used cartridge.

Broadly speaking we have a relatively small number of cartridges that are "common", and we have "the rest".

If you're shooting cartridges like (but not limited to) the 300WM, .308, .270, .243, .223 and a handful of others you can walk into any gun store and they'll likely have half a dozen factory options and plenty of reloading components in stock.

If you're shooting any of "the rest", factory ammo and reloading components won't be kept at the same levels in stores and you would plan to either grab things when you can, or special order as required.

I don't want to pick a fight with a moderator but I need to correct this.
The 6.5x55 has been around since 1894 The .260 rem since 1996 Just sayin'
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by ozbluei » 01 Jul 2016, 5:10 pm

I own 2 rifles in .260 remington. I like the .308 case and the fact that I can use .308 mags is the deciding factor for me. Obviously you have to reload either of these cartridges - although you could get away with using factory ammo in a 6.5x55 hunting rifle. Before purchasing, try and source 6.5 creedmore cases because they are supposedly very difficult to find. Cases in .260 are not difficult to find but I have recently just necked up .243 brass which is too easy.
As far as accuracy goes, for me there is no practical difference between .260, 6.5x55, 6.5 creedmore and 6.5x47 - although someone who is a better shooter might notice some slight difference. Love 6.5mm projectiles though. Highly recommend this calibre !
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 04 Jul 2016, 9:58 am

1290 wrote:isnt the 6mmBR the 22long rifle of the centrefire world..... you're just soft :lol: :sarcasm:

I'd take that as complement, everyone loves a 22lr :P
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition