.308 Winchester case stuck in die

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.308 Winchester case stuck in die

Post by tactice » 03 Mar 2015, 3:09 pm

So this has happened :problem:

Sizing some .308 brass with a RCBS FL die, plugging away, one suddenly sticks and feeds rock solid in there.

Lifting the lever to try and pull the die the desk is flexing before the die budges.

Should I be doing something clever to fix this or just heave until it gives?

Thought I'd ask before I break something :lol:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: .308 Winchester case stuck in die

Post by bunnybuster » 03 Mar 2015, 3:55 pm

Ha,done this myself with a 223,back off the expander plug and spray some penetrant into the die so it should flow around the case, warm it up if possible [in the sun or hair dryer] leave it 'till tomorrow, then "heave on the lever",either it will release or tear the rim off the case,then you can remove the die from the press and go to stage 2.

Be Safe BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hercl » 04 Mar 2015, 10:09 am

Just gotta muscle it through. BB's suggestions will probably help.

Don't worry about the press or die, the brass will give first if something has to.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 04 Mar 2015, 10:10 am

How far did it feel like you got the case through the die before it stuck? If you could tell...

For the better leverage might be easiest to just complete the resize and pull back through. Get some body weight on the lever :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

They sell kits for fixing this. You drill and tap the case head and can draw the stuck case out. I think you'd get one delivered for less than $50. As said above though you won't break anything (except your bench maybe :lol:) by just muscling the case out
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 04 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

I don't know about not breaking anything . It all depends on what kind of press if it's a Lee press I would be hesitant to apply too much force .
If it's good strong O frame press like an RCBS , Lyman or Redding then it may work. I agree with bunnybuster and lole things you can try .
However the best way is to use a stuck case remover as suggested by baldrick314 .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hinky » 05 Mar 2015, 9:24 am

One of these....

popeye-spinach.jpg
popeye-spinach.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 05 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

Just my experience but I've stuck a dozen cases in my RCBS press in various necking down and whatever and just crunched them through.

Done using Redding, RCBS and Hornady dies. No problem at any point.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 10 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm

Waaaal c'mon now we're all on the edge of our seats,popcorn,sodas,what has happened ??? :drinks: :friends: :unknown:

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tactice » 10 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm

:lol:

Just forced it off in the end.

A mate sat on press side of desk to keep it down so I could really put some muscle into lifting the handle to drop the ram.

Didn't go anywhere to start then suddenly gave and snapped down.

Tossed the case and the rest were no problem. :thumbsup:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 11 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

I have not had a stuck case in many years because I don't use full length sizing dies anymore and if I did get one it is so easy to just drop a punch into the open top of the "body die " and belt it out . Problem solved in a few seconds without any risk to the die or press .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 11 Mar 2015, 3:04 pm

I think I've had it happen twice over the years :unknown:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2015, 9:49 pm

Twice to me. Just need a 1/4" tap, drill and 1/4" bolt to suit to remove the stuck case. Just google it. $50 would be a rip off.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AlanK » 12 Mar 2015, 8:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:....would be a rip off.

Welcome to the price of shooting in Australia :lol:
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bunnybuster » 12 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

Jack V wrote:I have not had a stuck case in many years because I don't use full length sizing dies anymore and if I did get one it is so easy to just drop a punch into the open top of the "body die " and belt it out . Problem solved in a few seconds without any risk to the die or press .

Just a wee bit difficult with the decapping stem/expander ball in there ?? :huh:

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Mar 2015, 3:00 am

BBn u read my mind
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tonit » 13 Mar 2015, 9:40 am

Jack V wrote:I don't know about not breaking anything . It all depends on what kind of press if it's a Lee press I would be hesitant to apply too much force.

I hear you about the open type Lee press.

Still, that's a lot of steel vs a little brass neck?
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 13 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm

bunnybuster wrote:
Jack V wrote:I have not had a stuck case in many years because I don't use full length sizing dies anymore and if I did get one it is so easy to just drop a punch into the open top of the "body die " and belt it out . Problem solved in a few seconds without any risk to the die or press .

Just a wee bit difficult with the decapping stem/expander ball in there ?? :huh:

Be Safe BB

That's why you throw the old fashioned full length sizing die into the garbage bin and buy a body die . Many problems are then solved .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 13 Mar 2015, 8:23 pm

Tonit wrote:
Jack V wrote:I don't know about not breaking anything . It all depends on what kind of press if it's a Lee press I would be hesitant to apply too much force.

I hear you about the open type Lee press.

Still, that's a lot of steel vs a little brass neck?

The weak part of the Lee Press is the alloy clamp lock up system of the handle it tends to go first except for the Lee classic cast it's a better press.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 16 Mar 2015, 3:21 pm

Jack V wrote:That's why you throw the old fashioned full length sizing die into the garbage bin and buy a body die . Many problems are then solved .

Body die just has the outside? No internal pin is that right?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 16 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

melanie wrote:Body die just has the outside? No internal pin is that right?

Yes ,a body die only sizes from the shoulder ( head clearance) to the main body of the case . Does not size the neck at all .

So you neck size and decap primers in a separate die . That way when the case starts to get tight to chamber you size it in the body die but you are not upsetting the neck any . Also because there is no neck sizing going on at the same time you can size a very small and precise amount .

Allows for minimum resizing to get precise case fit and reduces work hardening of the brass . Also if a case does stick in the die it's very easy to punch out .

There is other uses also.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 18 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

Jack V wrote:Yes ,a body die only sizes from the shoulder ( head clearance) to the main body of the case . Does not size the neck at all .

So you neck size and decap primers in a separate die.

Ok, fine in theory.

Isn't it just as possible though to get it stuck in your neck sizing die when you do that step though?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 18 Mar 2015, 9:47 am

melanie wrote:
Jack V wrote:Yes ,a body die only sizes from the shoulder ( head clearance) to the main body of the case . Does not size the neck at all .

So you neck size and decap primers in a separate die.

Ok, fine in theory.

Isn't it just as possible though to get it stuck in your neck sizing die when you do that step though?

No theory about it , been using this system since 1969 . If you get a case stuck in a neck size die then even in the worst case you can just reef it out with the press. The neck alone does not have enough surface area or wedging ability to keep it stuck tight like the body of a case does with also the neck friction added . Also when using a body die it is better to use a Lee collet die for neck sizing so stuck cases in that die are almost impossible .
Stuck case in a body die just wack it out . All stuck case problems solved in 1969 when I made my first body die . I never called it a body die that came many years later when Redding started to make them openly for the public . Before that they made them secretly and if you knew about it you could order one because they stole the idea . I called it a shoulder bump die because the original concept was designed to adjust 7.62 Nato ammo to match chambers but straight away I could see it's use for normal re- sizing operations .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 18 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm

Jack V wrote:If you get a case stuck in a neck size die then even in the worst case you can just reef it out with the press. The neck alone does not have enough surface area or wedging ability to keep it stuck tight like the body of a case does with also the neck friction added .

Fair enough then.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition