Collet style bullet puller slow

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Collet style bullet puller slow

Post by samf » 03 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

Looking at some videos on the reloading press collect style bullet pullers and looks like they're real slow to use with having to strew them in and out over and over.

Is there an advantage in these over the inertia hammer which I see people do heaps faster?
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Collet style bullet puller slows

Post by Ozziammo » 03 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

Yep, less projectile damage, less noise (if your not swearing at it), good for batches of ammo, able to control propellant, able to control the actual extraction of the proj from the case slowly.
The speed will increase once you have got into the routine, especially if you are doing heaps of the same caliber.
Down side is: a few more bits to add to your reloading kit, $ spent, damage to projectiles if they are crimped in heavily.
I don't even bother with the inertia puller anymore!
Ozziammo
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Gregg » 04 Mar 2015, 1:46 pm

The collet pullers are definitely more controlled. I feel it's a piece of mind thing though really.

The inertia hammers catch the bullet and powder all the same so there is no huge difference IMO.

Arguably the collet pullers scuff the projectiles by clamping them. On the other hand the hammers can damage the tips and the bullet is ejected from the case and flies into the inside of the hammer to catch it.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 04 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

Agree with all of the above , you need both types of pullers for certain jobs.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Collet style bullet puller slow

Post by franc » 05 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

One thing against the inertia hammers... Reports seem to be that the collet in the hammer wears out quickly. Makes the 'cheap' hammer not so cheap when they wear out fast and you need another one.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Kater » 05 Mar 2015, 1:43 pm

I haven't used but just know from looking at one that the RCBS hammer collet isn't steel. I think it's aluminium or some softish alloy.

I don't know who but if someone did a steel collet for their hammers they'd last forever.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 05 Mar 2015, 1:44 pm

I had an RCBS hammer, it worked great except for the problems above.

After about 80 or 90 .308 rounds the rim of the collet which held the cases sheared off.

Just lucky it happened right at the end for what I needed to unload.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 05 Mar 2015, 2:09 pm

Kater wrote:I haven't used but just know from looking at one that the RCBS hammer collet isn't steel. I think it's aluminium or some softish alloy.

I don't know who but if someone did a steel collet for their hammers they'd last forever.

Use the shell case holder for any calibre instead of the supplied collet.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 05 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

bluerob wrote:Use the shell case holder for any calibre instead of the supplied collet.

Not that it matters now but I didn't try that.

Fits without a problem, huh?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 05 Mar 2015, 5:58 pm

The mistake some re-loaders make is they hit the inertia puller so hard to try and pull the bullet in one blow. That is not how they are meant to work .
Several light strikes will get the bullet out without wrecking the plastic puller.
When the bullets are big or have high neck tension and or crimps then forget the inertia puller go straight to the press collet puller
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 05 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Jack V wrote:The mistake some re-loaders make is they hit the inertia puller so hard to try and pull the bullet in one blow. That is not how they are meant to work .
Several light strikes will get the bullet out without wrecking the plastic puller.
When the bullets are big or have high neck tension and or crimps then forget the inertia puller go straight to the press collet puller

I've never bothered with a press mounted collet bullet puller, but in the hammer big bullets are much easier to remove in an inertia hammer than light bullets, .204R are notoriously difficult to "pull" using a hammer. canalures would add difficulty.

I've used an RCBS hammer for years, the old all plastic one, not the one with the steel shaft. the collets are in pretty good shape but i always do it up tight.

i have pulled lots of bullets, often changing loads and will pull old loads rather than shoot them off and waste the bullets, powder and primers

The end grain of a hard wood post is the best, quieter and less harsh on the hammer face and as jack said a few moderate taps is better than an almighty thwack!

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 05 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm

I am the same I have removed all kinds of un-crimped bullets with an inertia job but I do use a press puller for crimped Military stuff or bullets that show they are hard to move. I have seen a few inertia pullers break so I take it easy on mine and it's lasted a long time so far.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 06 Mar 2015, 2:19 am

Lorgar wrote:
bluerob wrote:Use the shell case holder for any calibre instead of the supplied collet.

Not that it matters now but I didn't try that.

Fits without a problem, huh?

Yep. I'm using Lyman shell holders to pop 9mm and .357 that I stuff up.

Doesn't matter what brand shell holder you use.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Mar 2015, 10:12 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 06 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm

The right tool for the job is always a better outcome .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 06 Mar 2015, 6:39 pm

Guys i just remembered these i saw on the HSS website, could be a good multi caliber tool, just remove your seating die and grip the bullet with the tool then drop the ram

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 07 Mar 2015, 6:49 pm

Chronos wrote:I've used an RCBS hammer for years, the old all plastic one, not the one with the steel shaft. the collets are in pretty good shape but i always do it up tight.

Dunno what the go with mine was then. The hammer is fine but the collet was shredded in no time flat.

I was hitting thick bit of carpet over concrete to take the edge off the impact. Took 1-3 hits for each bullet to be removed. Wasn't trying to drive nails with the thing.... Just bounce it off the rug. Did the job anyway, except for the collet.....

Making cheaper collets these days maybe? :unknown:

Only unseating hand loads. No ancient milsurp or anything with a sealant holding them in. Just didn't last....
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 07 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Try one of these if you only need to pull a few. not sure about 5 LOL

Clever doing it with the wrench. Save himself $40.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by portph » 07 Mar 2015, 6:53 pm

Chronos wrote:Guys i just remembered these i saw on the HSS website, could be a good multi caliber tool, just remove your seating die and grip the bullet with the tool then drop the ram

Looks like a good option.

A touch pricey though?
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Ozziammo » 07 Mar 2015, 7:37 pm

Interesting concept, thanks for sharing,

Regards Ozzi.
Ozziammo
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Humir » 08 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

portph wrote:Looks like a good option.

A touch pricey though?

$60... Depends on how much you undo.

You'd only have to shoot 60 rounds you didn't really want to instead of pulling them and you'd have wasted more money than buying one.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 08 Mar 2015, 4:36 pm

portph wrote:A touch pricey though?

$60 plus postage seems like a lot but if you had to buy a hammer at $30-50 and it broke in 5 years or a die at about $40 posted and 3 collets at $22 each plus $10 postage to cover 3 calibers you'd be way behind

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 08 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm

Chronos wrote:Guys i just remembered these i saw on the HSS website, could be a good multi caliber tool, just remove your seating die and grip the bullet with the tool then drop the ram

This is new :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: might get on the phone to HSS tommorowand get me a set of these!!!!Thanks C
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Mar 2015, 6:13 pm

Westy wrote:This is new :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: might get on the phone to HSS tommorowand get me a set of these!!!!Thanks C

:thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 09 Mar 2015, 11:07 am

Chronos wrote:$60 plus postage seems like a lot but if you had to buy a hammer at $30-50 and it broke in 5 years

Or 100 rounds in my case :?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition