Cleaning different powder from powder thrower

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cleaning different powder from powder thrower

Post by puffnstuff » 18 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

Hi team,

I've got the usual RCBS powder throwing for reloading, and reload using 2206h and 2209.

For a while I've been switching between powders and it's just dawned on me that I haven't been cleaning out the measuring chamber bit and funnel... Just the chamber that holds the powder and the visible bits down the bottom.

The powder sticks to the walls of the chamber so I guess when I've been filling up with different powders it just goes down the middle and the previous powder comes out bit by bit.

Do you guys get right in there to clean out every last grain of powder? If so how?

Haven't had any problems with loads so far, but better safe than sorry so thought I'd ask.
puffnstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Cleaning different powder from powder thrower

Post by Harper » 18 Oct 2013, 1:11 pm

Get a thin paintbrush with long bristles.

That will do the business for you.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by redrum » 18 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

Yeah, you're best to clean than better than you have been.

At best it will muck up your loads.

If your shooting heavy loads a bit of the wrong powder mixed in in some random amount could give you more serious problems.
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 18 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

redrum wrote:If your shooting heavy loads a bit of the wrong powder mixed in in some random amount could give you more serious problems.

Bit of topic, but Hodges are doing blended powders for reloaders now aren't they?
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by puffnstuff » 10 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

Harper wrote:Get a thin paintbrush with long bristles.

That will do the business for you.

Yeah thanks mate, that's perfect.

Didn't have any problems with it while I was overlooking the problem, probably just cost me a little accuracy for a few rounds.

Better not to leave it to chance now though. I get the thrower nice and clean throughout now before changing powders.
puffnstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

When I change powders I simply lift the thrower from its stand and tip the hopper contents back into the bottle. Then I sit it back in its stand and operate the thrower lever stiffly a few times into the bottle to empty the unit.

Powder shouldn't stick to anything unless there's some moisture or oil in there in which case you should give it a good clean out anyway.

The grey residue in there is most likely the graphite that coats the powder kernels and so won't cause any issues other than lubricating everything

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition