Advice to lose your fingers by

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Advice to lose your fingers by

Post by hootshoot » 13 Mar 2015, 2:26 pm

Sharing a story I read just because... wow.

Didn't happen to me. Some store in the US.

Story is... Guy is standing in his local store and can hear another customer asking the staff member for advice on how to measure powder for his .38.

The guys advice was 'fill the case till it's about full, just leave enough space so you can seat the bullet'

They talked about different powders and the staff member also said 'you can use rifle powder if you can't find pistol, just use a bit less'.

The guy took says he caught the other customer when he was leaving and told him the staff member was talking s**t. Also spoke to the store manager/owner about the staff member giving dangerous advice.

Just a second hand story here so taking it with a grain of salt, but jesus :shock: :crazy:
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Advice to lose your fingers by

Post by tom604 » 13 Mar 2015, 2:44 pm

well i was talking to my mate- two finger one eye joe - and he says its legit :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by anthillinside » 14 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

tom604 wrote:well i was talking to my mate- two finger one eye joe - and he says its legit :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

I think we have the same mates :lol:
Just watch a couple of Youtube "reloading" videos and your an instant expert :sarcasm:
Just fill er up with "powder" there all the same right? and the case isn't big enough to take "too much"
And if the bullet (we call it cartridge) fits in the barrel (we call a chamber) it's OK to shoot. :crazy: :crazy:
No wonder there is so many Darwin awards :thumbsup: iDiots listen to iDoits the rest of us just shake our heads in disbelief.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 14 Mar 2015, 3:45 pm

so filling up to the top of the neck and compressing down the powder column by driving the bullet in with a hammer is not the right way?? :unknown: :crazy:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 14 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

1290 wrote:so filling up to the top of the neck and compressing down the powder column by driving the bullet in with a hammer is not the right way?? :unknown: :crazy:

Thats know as a "high power boolit"
But you have to use the right hammer, plastics no good it needs to be a claw hammer so you can pull out the bullet and try again if you don't get it straight the first or second time.
Flattening the point is also a good by product of this method, semi wad cutters! :thumbsup:
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 14 Mar 2015, 3:55 pm

no its not!!!!! you will damage the tip of the boollit,,ya got to turn it over and tap it down,,i just use a nail,, :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :crazy:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by anthillinside » 14 Mar 2015, 4:00 pm

You mean I've been doing it wrong all these years :?: :cry:
I thought nails were for making hollow points :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 14 Mar 2015, 7:36 pm

a nail to make hollow points!!!! no! no! no!!! you first soften the lead with one of those little blow torches and then whack it with the nail, i just use a nail gun to speed up the process :crazy: :crazy: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by anthillinside » 15 Mar 2015, 7:33 am

^^^^^^ I see I've got a lot to learn
When is your next reloading class?
I want to make a booking ;)
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 15 Mar 2015, 8:36 am

soon as i get out of horspiddle, they gotta stick ma fingers back on----dont ask what i used to type this :oops: :oops:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 15 Mar 2015, 11:14 am

Mate it would not surprise me. I once shot with a Pro roo shooter who just dipped his 223 cases in a barrel of unknown powder and loaded them up.
Lucky for him it must have been fairly slow powder but eventually his gun did lock up . I was literally cringing in the passenger seat every time he took a shot . However he was a very good shot just not a good reloader . Later on I made him a dip measure out of a cut off case to throw a more sensible load.
When I got home I posted him an old set of scale and an old RCBS powder measure I did not use anymore with an ADI guide and some instructions.
I never ran into him again and the property owner thought he had moved to Qld so I hope he improved his loading skills.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 15 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

1290 wrote:so filling up to the top of the neck and compressing down the powder column by driving the bullet in with a hammer is not the right way?? :unknown: :crazy:

No you fool, you do it with a rubber mallet :mrgreen:

:sarcasm:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Techc » 15 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

Jack V wrote:I once shot with a Pro roo shooter who just dipped his 223 cases in a barrel of unknown powder and loaded them up.
Lucky for him it must have been fairly slow powder but eventually his gun did lock up .

Lucky he was using a relatively small cartridge too. That must have played a part.

Wouldn't wanna be doing that with a 40gr or 50gr capacity one.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 8:52 am

Techc wrote:Lucky he was using a relatively small cartridge too. That must have played a part.

Wouldn't wanna be doing that with a 40gr or 50gr capacity one.

Yeah I agree .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 17 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

Hopefully the store guy is working at Maccas now where he can't talking anyone into hurting themselves because of his ineptitude.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Wes » 17 Mar 2015, 10:40 am

That's seriously messed up :thumbsdown:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 12:37 pm

It's an extreme case but I tell you I have heard some fairly bad advice given to new shooters in gun shops. Quite a few times over the years I have pulled guys aside and wised them up to very exaggerated sales talk pushing unsuitable guns and products at them.

Even got told off one time by staff in a certain gun shop in Sydney for cruelling a sale based on ridiculous advice. The notion that all gun shop staff are experienced shooters and re-loaders etc. is not right.

Last time I went to a gun shop I saw a young man behind the counter taking a trade in gun over the counter that had just been brought in from the parking lot and never opened the action. Then was pointing it around the shop and in my direction looking at it. I had to say to him mate have you opened the action and checked it's safe ? He gave me a blank stare but then the owner quickly came out and took it off him. An experienced worker would not do that kind of thing.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 18 Mar 2015, 6:41 am

chacka wrote:Hopefully the store guy is working at Maccas now where he can't talking anyone into hurting themselves because of his ineptitude.

Asking if they "want fries with that" could be akin to talking someone into hurting themselves by becoming obese quicker :lol:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by huccl » 18 Mar 2015, 9:59 am

trekin wrote:Asking if they "want fries with that" could be akin to talking someone into hurting themselves by becoming obese quicker :lol:

Probably telling them to reach into the fryer and get them with this guys common sense :?
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wayward » 18 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

Jack V wrote:Then was pointing it around the shop and in my direction looking at it.

Must have fallen asleep for the safety course 101.

They only say about 400 times never point a FA at anyone, regardless of if you've checked it's unloaded :problem: :thumbsdown:
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 18 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

wayward wrote:Must have fallen asleep for the safety course 101.

They only say about 400 times never point a FA at anyone, regardless of if you've checked it's unloaded :problem: :thumbsdown:

I don't think he was aware the muzzle was pointing around the shop . Would not have been a drama if the action had been opened and made safe . I got a feeling he is the boss's son .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cooker » 18 Mar 2015, 12:45 pm

Jack V wrote:I don't think he was aware the muzzle was pointing around the shop.

Oblivious, that's even worse.

You can't unlearn stupid.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Return to Reloading ammunition