Reloading for 300 Win Mag Tikka

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading for 300 Win Mag Tikka

Post by Chopper » 14 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

Hi iam reloading ammo for my tikka 300win iam using nosler 180gr hunting balistic tips can anyone recommend case length overall length and powder load
Chopper
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: reloading for 300win tikka.

Post by AlanK » 14 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

Hi Chopper,

For the COAL, I think you're going to find the magazine size limits the COAL. That's usually the case for the Tikkas.

Seat them for the max length you can while still fitting and feeding them from the magazine. That'll be as long as you can get them without having to hand-feed and they'll still be off the lands.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 14 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

What powder are you using?

Or none chosen yet?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 14 Mar 2015, 10:53 am

G'day Chopper.

66.8gr of AR2209 for 180gr shot best for me with the Noslers.

Be aware this is close to max load according to ADI data for 180gr bullets. Usually recommended to start lower and work up the powder charge keeping an eye out for any pressure signs ;)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by 1290 » 14 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

If you're using ADI powders, then they provide this data for 180gr Noslers

180 GR. NOS E-TIP AR2209 3.340" 62.1gr 2730fps [Start load] 66.8gr 2916fps [Max load]
180 GR. NOS E-TIP AR2213SC3.340" 66.8 2770 [Start load] 71.8C 2938 [Max load]
180 GR. NOS E-TIP AR2217 3.340" 74.6 2821 [Start load] 79.4C 2984 [Max load]

You can see the suggested COAL of 3.34" which is close enough to 'spec' length of 84.84mm, you may go longer but it depends an your mag length for a repeater, and the bullet shape (location relative to rifling).
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chopper » 15 Mar 2015, 8:54 pm

The rifle is a bolt action tikka lite 300 win mag i am using AR2209 the over all length was 3.335, case length was 2.610.

I am using Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting 180gr and put 73grain of powder in.

This was my first attempt and ised nick harveys reloading manual to source info but they just didn't seem to group right. Made some for my 243 and the worked awesome. Does anyone here load for the same gun.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Chopper
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 16 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

Hi Chopper,

The rifle is a bolt action tikka lite 300 win mag i am using AR2209 the over all length was 3.335, case length was 2.610.

Your trimmer case length is fine. Like the guys have said for the Tikka you're usually set with the magazine length. 3.335" in the standard COAL, but I suspect you can set this a little longer and still feed the cartridge out of the mag... There is a bit of room between the tip of the bullet and magazine, yes?

I am using Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting 180gr and put 73grain of powder in.

I don't have the Nick Harvey Manual. Where did you get 73gr from?

FYI... ADI max load for a 180gr bullet with AR2209 powder is 67gr, so you're WELL over maximum according to the manufacturer.

Did you work up from lighter loads to reach 73gr or did you just go straight to it?

This was my first attempt and ised nick harveys reloading manual to source info but they just didn't seem to group right.

As above, did you try a range of loads working up to 73gr or is it the only only load you've tried?

There isn't a 'magic load' that will shoot well in all rifles. Each rifle likes things a little different, some a lot different.

You need to work up the load that is right for your rifle. Typically the process would be....

Get your load data. According to ADI for 180gr pills and AR2009 the minimum load is 63.0gr, the maximum is 67.0gr.

You'll need to load groups of cartridges. Say 4 cartridges each with charges of 63.5gr, 64.0gr, 64.0gr etc. etc. etc. up to the max on 67gr.

Shoot each of the different cartridge groups and see which is best. There is no guarantee faster is more accurate so no reason to go straight to max. Or over as the case may be....

If going over max recommended load you really need to be on top of looking for high-pressure signs as well, and you're well over at 73gr.

Dial it down a bit and see how you go with some proper load development instead of jumping to the top.

It's a Tikka, with a little work to find the right load it will definitely shoot good.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 16 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

Try 67gr 2209 with the 180gr.

Not mine, a mate with a T3 Hunter. Shoots 3/4" all day long.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Reloading for 300 Win Mag Tikka

Post by Chopper » 16 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm

Thanks for the advice guys lucky I havent damaged my gun. In nick harveys reloading manual it said I could go up to 75gr so I thought I was doing the right thing only going 73gr but will try 67gr.
Chopper
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chopper » 16 Mar 2015, 7:35 pm

Also when you say coal do you mean grains of powder. Sorry new at te loading have always brought factory ammo
Chopper
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chopper » 16 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

Just checked book and I f***ed up its 63gr to 67gr so my mistake. Big f***ing mistake but. Will empty all my rounds and start again
Chopper
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 18 Mar 2015, 1:27 pm

Chopper wrote:Also when you say coal do you mean grains of powder. Sorry new at te loading have always brought factory ammo

No mate, COAL = cartridge overall length. The length from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet. Nothing to do with your powder charge.

Grains is only used for the weight of the projectile and the amount of powder in a cartridge. Nothing else.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 18 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

Chopper wrote:Just checked book and I f***ed up its 63gr to 67gr so my mistake. Big f***ing mistake but. Will empty all my rounds and start again

I thought 73 sounded too high. FYI, you will find different reloading manuals can have different maximum figures.

In past versions of Nick Harvey manuals several of his stated maximums were over the manufacturer state maximum. Over more recent versions though these figures have come down a lot and are more in line with the manufacturer.

Different people will have different opinions and some do go over the stated max, that's their business, personally I use the ADI data only as a guide. No third party manuals.

Luckily no harm done this time, we all need to be careful though.

Do a work up as explained above and you'll find a good result there somewhere :thumbsup:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Monty » 18 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm

Chopper wrote:Sorry new at te loading have always brought factory ammo

Don't be sorry.

Ask all the questions you have so you get it right. Better safe :thumbsup:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Chopper » 18 Mar 2015, 9:04 pm

Thanks guys all your advice has been a huge help. Looks like I got some re loading to do
Chopper
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 19 Mar 2015, 2:10 pm

Happy shooting.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bidgee » 23 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

I'm loading 73.5gn 2213SC behind 178 AMAX. Haven't chronied it but drop indicates about 3,000 fps. Rifle is a Remy so I've got more mag length than your Tikka and can load to a longer COAL so start lower.
Bidgee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 25 Mar 2015, 10:47 am

Good pills the AMAX.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition