What defines a propellant

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

What defines a propellant

Post by sally-bee » 19 Mar 2015, 9:05 am

People comment smokeless powder isn't an explosive, it's a propellant.

Wondering what defines it as that exactly? It goes bang fast like other things people would agree are explosives.

Know what I mean?
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: What defines a propellant

Post by TheDude » 19 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

Iraqveteran8888 did a good vi on YouTube to explain the differences. Basics, black powder is explosive, it goes bang. Propellants burn causing gradual (some fastest than others) expansion of gases to propel the projectile down the barrel

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTAKr3Y2EV0
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 19 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Yep that's an excellent video that explains and shows the difference very well.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm

There is a legal definition, based on science. It should be in the dangerous goods code
Edit/correction. The adg code does not seem to diferentiate. It classes them all as explosive. From class 1.1 to 1.6 .
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 19 Mar 2015, 6:11 pm

Whether something is an explosive is determined by its rate of deflagration, how quickly it burns, or the velocity of the flame front... Unless confined, smokeless propellants, nitrocellulose based will 'fizzle', just burn relatively quickly but certainly not explode or detonate.

Black powder/gun powder will explode / detonate / burn very very quickly regardless of their confinement.

So, smokeless is not really an explosive. When stored or transported in its original thin steel or plastic containers, if ignited they will quickly split thereby preventing the build up of pressure. So smokeless is as dangerous/harmful as 100 other common chemicals normally stored around the house. Unfortunately. its classified as explosive, which makes it more difficult to transport, through more stringent regulations and therefore more expensive for end users...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2015, 7:19 pm

1290 wrote:Whether something is an explosive is determined by its rate of deflagration, how quickly it burns, or the velocity of the flame front... Unless confined, smokeless propellants, nitrocellulose based will 'fizzle', just burn relatively quickly but certainly not explode or detonate.

Black powder/gun powder will explode / detonate / burn very very quickly regardless of their confinement.

So, smokeless is not really an explosive. When stored or transported in its original thin steel or plastic containers, if ignited they will quickly split thereby preventing the build up of pressure. So smokeless is as dangerous/harmful as 100 other common chemicals normally stored around the house. Unfortunately. its classified as explosive, which makes it more difficult to transport, through more stringent regulations and therefore more expensive for end users...

And that Is how I understand it. I got a bit off track. Lol.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sally-bee » 20 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

1290 wrote:Whether something is an explosive is determined by its rate of deflagration, how quickly it burns, or the velocity of the flame front... Unless confined, smokeless propellants, nitrocellulose based will 'fizzle', just burn relatively quickly but certainly not explode or detonate.

For arguments sake would I be safe lighting a teaspoons worth to see?

edit: of smokeless I mean.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by greyghost » 20 Mar 2015, 1:54 pm

You'd get a little tennis ball size ball of fire for a few seconds.

Someone posted a YouTube link doing it a while ago FYI.

Someone remember who....
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 20 Mar 2015, 3:06 pm

sally-bee wrote:

For arguments sake would I be safe lighting a teaspoons worth to see?

edit: of smokeless I mean.

There's only one way to find out :huh:

....don't worry, the recommended method of disposing of SMOKELESS... is to lay it out in a line or long 'pile', outside, and ignite it. but dont take my word for it, look it up. :thumbsup:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Harts » 20 Mar 2015, 6:15 pm

greyghost wrote:You'd get a little tennis ball size ball of fire for a few seconds.

Someone posted a YouTube link doing it a while ago FYI.

Someone remember who....

Courtesy of Chronos

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445#p14312
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 27 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm

Cool :)

Thanks for the demo.
sally-bee