So Hows your LGS ammo supplies going?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

So Hows your LGS ammo supplies going?

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

Been reading on a few forums lately about ammo supply issues and the lack of ammo on the shelves (22 ammo seems to be an issue in some places) haven't noticed any issues so far with the LGS I visit, I'm fairly well stocked when it comes to ammo and components but still buy when I'm in there so I shouldn't have to worry about running out anytime in the next 10yrs :lol:

So what's the story with your LGS?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: So Hows your LGS ammo supplies going?

Post by Chronos » 30 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

did buy a brick of cci standard a while back without issue (maybe a month ago) but if you need it in the near future buy up now because predictions are the dollar is going to drop to 77c us and that's gonna push prices up again, shame none of the distributors dropped prices when the dollar was good :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 30 Mar 2015, 5:36 pm

No dramas for me in Albury-Wodonga where my local LGS is. No shortage of .22, .204 or .30-06 ammo.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 30 Mar 2015, 6:10 pm

apparently in the US of A, any excuse creates a buying frenzy; Obama voted in.... Obama voted in again.... Obama want to bannnnnnnn this or that.......
But the buying is mostly for 22LR over there and hence rationing..... :unknown: reports of people lining up before stores open.... sheesh.. for rimfire

I picked up a couple of bricks of remington rimfire last week, plenty on the shelves.... picked up a load of 12g... stacked high...

Haveny bought centrefire lately, but the dealers appear to have plently there
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Morro » 30 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

Chronos wrote:did buy a brick of cci standard a while back without issue (maybe a month ago) but if you need it in the near future buy up now because predictions are the dollar is going to drop to 77c us and that's gonna push prices up again, shame none of the distributors dropped prices when the dollar was good :unknown:

Chronos

I bought a case of CCI standad for $380 from my LGS just north of Sydney 2 months ago. They ran out recently and said its going up. Thought $10-20 max, oh well not many options here. When the case I back ordered arrived that will be $450 thanks. Nice
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

I've got a good stockpile of hunting 22 ammo (subs) and I'm just stocking up on cheap ammo for shooting spinners etc (for the kids) no use burning up the better ammo on that sort of thing so the cheaper the better I say (so long as it feeds and extracts ok, I'll be happy.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 30 Mar 2015, 6:47 pm

Don't shoot a lot of 22LR but have a couple bricks of RWS HV in the safe and I keep enough components to load the centre fire rounds I shoot for some time. I tend to buy the bulk 500 packs of projectiles due to the savings associated with bulk packages.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 31 Mar 2015, 3:29 am

Only problem around Perth is black powder seems to be scarce,something about permits to transit through S.A.

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 31 Mar 2015, 7:56 am

Morro wrote:
Chronos wrote:did buy a brick of cci standard a while back without issue (maybe a month ago) but if you need it in the near future buy up now because predictions are the dollar is going to drop to 77c us and that's gonna push prices up again, shame none of the distributors dropped prices when the dollar was good :unknown:

Chronos

I bought a case of CCI standad for $380 from my LGS just north of Sydney 2 months ago. They ran out recently and said its going up. Thought $10-20 max, oh well not many options here. When the case I back ordered arrived that will be $450 thanks. Nice

Ouch, that's an 18% jump. I guess the dollar has gone from near parity to 77c in short time so it's to be expected.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 31 Mar 2015, 8:06 am

I've previously said.... buy your ammo/components NOW! Those traitors in the RBA and the rest of the bunch in Cantberra are killing or dollars and have devalued it by over 20% in only 6months!

Theres always a lag between exchange fluctuations and street price movements...... get ready.
and dont forget national buy a gun day! can remember the date I think it is September some time .... :thumbsup:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 31 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

My LGS has a great supply of ammo - if your happy to pay outrageous prices (they're blaming frieght). I understand that a business needs to make a profit to keep its doors open, but, compared ammo costs with USA (including $AUD ups & frowns) we are being shafted, big time. Someone is making a huge profit, at our expense.

What I don't understand is how is that the place who can't be named in Qld has incredible pricing that other gun stores shake their heads at saying "we can't buy it at that price from the wholesaler."

On top of this, the RBA as 1290 has pointed out is screwing us for what - coal is dropping in price and iron ore isn't a hot commodity anymore. What happens to all those people who left and headed west to make a fortune when their jobs are made redundant.

Have a look at the toys for sale around Cessnock. Bloody sad.

Don't get sucked in by the low interest rates. What goes down usually skyrockets when it's time to go up. Remember the days when home loans were 16-21%? This will come back and many families will lose their homes.

I'm not a religious person, but, times aren't good on many fronts.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Mar 2015, 11:19 am

bluerob wrote:My LGS has a great supply of ammo - if your happy to pay outrageous prices (they're blaming frieght). I understand that a business needs to make a profit to keep its doors open, but, compared ammo costs with USA (including $AUD ups & frowns) we are being shafted, big time. Someone is making a huge profit, at our expense.

What I don't understand is how is that the place who can't be named in Qld has incredible pricing that other gun stores shake their heads at saying "we can't buy it at that price from the wholesaler."

On top of this, the RBA as 1290 has pointed out is screwing us for what - coal is dropping in price and iron ore isn't a hot commodity anymore. What happens to all those people who left and headed west to make a fortune when their jobs are made redundant.

Don't get sucked in by the low interest rates. What goes down usually skyrockets when it's time to go up. Remember the days when home loans were 16-21%? This will come back and many families will lose their homes.

I think you'll find that the shop that can't be mentioned might well import directly (I think they have a set up a business in the US from memory) so that might explain how they can do things a lot cheaper than most. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bluerob » 31 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bluerob wrote:My LGS has a great supply of ammo - if your happy to pay outrageous prices (they're blaming frieght). I understand that a business needs to make a profit to keep its doors open, but, compared ammo costs with USA (including $AUD ups & frowns) we are being shafted, big time. Someone is making a huge profit, at our expense.

I think you'll find that the shop that can't be mentioned might well import directly (I think they have a set up a business in the US from memory) so that might explain how they can do things a lot cheaper than most. :unknown:

Thanks for that. I thought there was something "different" going on.

Now, if I wanted to do the same thing, I wonder what the setup costs would be? I'd like to keep people shooting at a reasonable cost and I've no interest in having a flash lifestyle.

I think that's there is room for a HUGE gun store say 2 hours north of Sydney where real estate costs aren't that high and I'd prefer (with the greatest respect) older blokes as staff. You can't beat the knowledge some of our elders have.

Stock a few guns, but, focus on ammo sales. I'm sure there's a few empty banks available as a shop front somewhere.

Think I've got an idea, just need to find out set up costs with regards to FAR requirements.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 31 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm

7mm projectiles and 2208 have been scare (or absent) for months now.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 31 Mar 2015, 10:12 pm

and dont forget national buy a gun day! can remember the date I think it is September some time .... :thumbsup:

There is about 360 of them every year :D :thumbsup:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aster » 01 Apr 2015, 10:24 am

Need to catch them at the right time.

It's usually feast of famine. Gotta get their within a few days of delivery for the feast.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by chacka » 01 Apr 2015, 10:40 am

One of mine has told me they do minimum orders with their supplier(s).

Supplier may have the stock sitting in the warehouse but they don't order until they have enough customer orders to reach X dollars and save on shipping.

Might be a week or two or more before they even order :problem:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 02 Apr 2015, 9:06 am

chacka wrote:One of mine has told me they do minimum orders with their supplier(s).

I've been told the same.

Also been told their minimum order is only $500 buck yet it's still taken weeks in the past for some things. The amount of foot traffic in the store I can say for a fact they have more than enough people so that would be reached in no time.

Pretty sure we all just get a line and in the end they order it when they get around to it. :problem:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition