223 load data...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

223 load data...

Post by mattakaspeeedy » 06 Apr 2015, 2:23 pm

Hello I have a Howa 223 with a 1 in 12 twist.
I have rem cases, cci small rifle primers, ADI Benchmark 1 powder and Sierra 52 grain hpbt projectiles.

Does anyone have any info for how much grains for min and max ?
Or do you have a load using this powder and projectile that works for you ?

I read somewhere that the min and max is 21 to 23 grains but then on another site said 23.5 to 26.5 grains so I'm not sure.
On the ADI website it has 50grain hornady sp start is 22 and max is 24.5 grains of benchmark.
But then a 53grain sierra hp is 21 and 23 grains max.

I have tried 21.8 to 22.8 grains and best group was 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards which was disappointing :(

Also does anyone have any info for the same load but with 55grain hornady v-max ?

Thanks
mattakaspeeedy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 223 load data...

Post by Mick280 » 06 Apr 2015, 9:29 pm

G'day Mate
I haven't got access to my load data sheet at the moment but I obtained consistent half inch groups with 55g Bergers using 2206H,Can't remember the charge weight though!
Maybe try some different powder and do a full ladder test in half grain incrimants.
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 07 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

mattakaspeeedy wrote:I have rem cases, cci small rifle primers, ADI Benchmark 1 powder and Sierra 52 grain hpbt projectiles.

Does anyone have any info for how much grains for min and max ?

I read somewhere that the min and max is 21 to 23 grains but then on another site said 23.5 to 26.5 grains so I'm not sure.
On the ADI website it has 50grain hornady sp start is 22 and max is 24.5 grains of benchmark.
But then a 53grain sierra hp is 21 and 23 grains max.

I have tried 21.8 to 22.8 grains and best group was 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards which was disappointing :(

As projectile weight goes up, powder charge with the same type of powder will go down.

Whichever reloading manual you end up using, if the exact bullet weight isn't there as it sometimes isn't use the next one up.

The closest published on the ADI website for Benchmarck 1 is a 53gr projectile.
Starting load 21.0gr
Max load 23.0gr

Try 21.0gr and 21.5gr and see how they go. Which ever is most accurate try loads .1 and .2 above and below that. The lower velocity load may well be the most accurate.

How accurate was the 22.8gr load? If the 1 1/4 inch group was achieved as you reached that it would be worth your while trying 22.9gr and 23.0gr.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 07 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm

Mate try changing your primers to CCI bench rest, they work better in the 223 and also have a slightly harder cup material. I've since sold mine but it used to shoot well with 50gn Hornady Vmax and 26gn of 2206H. That's getting a little warm, but you should work up to it from around 24gn provided of course that you are not showing any pressure signs. As we always say, each rifle is different, so there is no one load that will suit them all. I was also using Norma brass which is very good gear. If you don't use that or Lapua, drilling the flash holes in the primer pocket can't hurt, most flash holes are stamped out and burrs are not uncommon.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 08 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

headspace wrote:If you don't use that or Lapua, drilling the flash holes in the primer pocket can't hurt, most flash holes are stamped out and burrs are not uncommon.

Do you really find Lapua or Norma brass flash holes are that much more consistent compared to the usual cheaper options?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by headspace » 08 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

Well you'd need a microscope to see it I guess, but both brands are drilled and not just punched out. That usually means less chance of any burrs left behind. They are also neck chamfered at the factory. I wouldn't use them for hunting though you cry when one gets lost in the grass.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 09 Apr 2015, 8:48 am

How much powder do you have left?

The reason i ask is that my best results in the Howa 223 varmint barrel have been with BM2 (best consistent 0.6moa) and BM8208 (using now and getting 0.4moa pretty consistently). I wont go into my loads as i don't use that weight bullet and even with the 55s you are best to find your own load by progressively working up, as Blackened explained above. My personal approach is as follows, but everyone will be slightly different. Start at bottom of load spec and test up in 0.3gn, say 21 through to 22.2gn, 3 x 3 shot groups. You will find one load that is much better and one either above or below it that is not as good but still better than others, say 21.6 best & 21.9 2nd for example. Test 0.1 grain either side of those two with further 3 x 3 shot groups. Pick the best of the lot and confirm with 3 x 5 and maybe 1 x 10 shot groups. Using this technique i have 3 loads for 3 different bullets that all shoot less than 1moa and all with in 1moa of the one scope zero in my Howa 223rem. Also have a trailboss load that shoots about 1moa but it is on a different zero. Not saying to follow this, just sharing my process. (by the way, i don't mix up the loads because they are in different head stamps and have obviously different bullets. One other thing: be anal about weighing each load during testing). No point testing if you are "throwing" each load and they are 0.2gn different with in the batch, 0.2gn can make a huge difference in 223rem!

However, it sounds to me like the rifle itself needs a little tuning. If you haven't done it yet, use your best existing load and tune the rifle with it and see if the groups shrink. Then start looking at tuning the load further.

What i did to tune my Howa 223 HB to achieve close to 1/2moa with tuned load and around 0.9 moa with Rem factory 55PSP:

1/ Glen Couglan trigger job (ebay trigger dude) $60.... bargain, 2lb, no creep, crisp as!
2/ Tune action torque (mine like 5inch pound more on the front 35"lb rear-40"lb front, or something close): start 35 both, shoot a few 3 shot groups, do the front one 5"lb, shoot some more groups, do the rear 5"lb, do some more groups repeat up to around 50"lb. Assess your targets and choose the best looking setting then confirm with 5 & 10 shot groups. Cost = time and ammo
3/ Full length bedding of action. Cost = time + about $30-40 using kit and instructions from this dude : http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... dding.html
(or you can pay a gunsmith to do it).

Might seem like time and money up front but less in the long run than losing confidence in the rifle and yourself, wasting money looking for a load in a rifle that isn't tuned very well. You'll end up selling the rifle. losing money, buying a new rifle, spending money looking for a load for it.... and so on.

Also, with a Hogue stock, you may find that the fore-end (notoriously flexy) may be touching the barrel if you are using a rest up the end of the fore end. To fix this i stiffened the fore end using instructions from the web link above. In the end, i jest got sick of the Hogue stock (wanted a prettier gun) and bought a Boyd stock, pillar & full length bedded it. Not suggesting you need to go that far, just what i have done.

Also, sounds like you don't have load data on hand: here is the link to ADI load data:
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... ifle%2Easp

Good luck with it!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Xerox » 09 Apr 2015, 2:40 pm

headspace wrote:Well you'd need a microscope to see it I guess, but both brands are drilled and not just punched out.

I've played with drilling the flash holes a little and I think you can feel a benefit on some without needing precise measurements. With a well matching drill bit it spun freely in some and bit in others showing there was a noticeable difference between cases.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by lole » 16 Apr 2015, 11:43 am

If you wanted to kill two birds with one stone there are primer pocket and flash hole uniformer kits.

I think Redding do a combo tool that does both at once.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition