Push rod denting some primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Push rod denting some primers

Post by pucker » 21 Apr 2015, 9:51 am

Hi all,

Is it an issue if the edge of the pushing rod in a hand primer tool puts a slight dent in some primers?

Doesn't happen on all, just some if they don't go in perfectly straight. The indent is barely enough to feel, only a fraction of a mm.
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Push rod denting some primers

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2015, 11:37 am

No doesn't hurt, what primer tool?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 21 Apr 2015, 12:23 pm

If you're using the RCBS hand primer ensure the rounded end of the pin is down and the flat side up towards the primer. Brand of tool you're using would help.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

pucker wrote:Hi all,

Is it an issue if the edge of the pushing rod in a hand primer tool puts a slight dent in some primers?

Doesn't happen on all, just some if they don't go in perfectly straight. The indent is barely enough to feel, only a fraction of a mm.

The seating rod should not be leaving a mark on a primer, something is not quite right with the hand primer tool and/or primer pocket. They should all go in perfectly straight. As asked, what specific breed of hand primer tool are you using.

The likes of Federal SR Primers have soft cups and are easily damaged if all is not correct. Any damage to a primer is a potential problem and could lead to a misfire. Too much seating pressure can also be a factor and should be avoided.

Uniforming primer pockets with the appropriate tool avoids a lot of these issues.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by coroboreeboy » 21 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

Hi Apollo,
This interests me:
" Too much seating pressure can also be a factor and should be avoided."
As a Service shooter with a modified spring revolver, I have always tried to get as much pressure on seating the primer as I can, particularly with harder primers such as CCI & Magtech. Not trying to be smart here, but genuinely interested, what problems could I encounter using too much pressure?
Cheers
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 21 Apr 2015, 1:51 pm

Too much seating pressure potentially can damage a primer by crushing / flatening / denting the cup and reducing the striking distance to the primer anvil. In bad cases it can push the primer cup onto the anvil and or cracking the primer substrate causing misfires or no detination at all.

One reason I don't like or use a reloading press to seat a primer as you have very little if any feel as to the pressure required to correctly seat the primer. Hand priming tools give you a lot of feedback as to any potential problem from loose primer pockets to very tight pockets which may not be correct. Like someone using crimped military style cases and not correctly removing the primer crimp. Hand priming tools also let you feel when the primer has seated against the bottom of the primer pocket and not forced against the bottom with too much pressure.

A correctly seated primer should look no different from what it looked like in the packet.

The hard cup primers I use feel no different seating them than it feels with a soft cup primer.

I have never reloaded for Pistol nor used a Progressive Press so I can't comment on that aspect.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by XP22 » 21 Apr 2015, 2:57 pm

pucker wrote:Hi all,

Usually no issue at all as long as you aren't using excess pressure. I have a setup that seems to leave a slight mark whatever is done.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Lorgar » 21 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

My RCBS one does something similar, a slight crescent visible some times.

Never worried about it, no ill effects I've found.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pucker » 21 Apr 2015, 9:59 pm

RCBS hand primer tool sorry :oops:
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

On all makes of brass? I found that happened on Hornady brass and realised that the primer pockets were crimped and I just ran a sharp knife around the edge and peeled the crimp off and the pressed in fine.

Mallee
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pucker » 23 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

Always CCI primers.

Winchester and Remington brass.

Never noticed if the brass made a difference on which primers were effected. I'll pay attention from now on.
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 23 Jun 2015, 2:28 pm

Noticed it happen to me a few times as well. Turned out the case holder wasn't lined up very well or that the case wasn't seated in the case holder spot on, so the primer was catching on the side of the pocket. Also, as above, i was rushing and being over enthusiastic with seating pressure.

Just slowed down my process and made it more deliberate, concentrating on a slow gentle squeeze to seat the primer and feel when it is seated evenly and that each case is seated fully in the case holder.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Techc » 29 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

Could the push rod be slightly bent?

Just enough to put a bit of an indent in primers going into stiffer pockets?
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition